women in korean history

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

foxdragon

women in korean history

Post by foxdragon »

Hi all. First to introduce myself. I found this forum this evening.
My name is Donna and I am a 2nd gup in a style called kyukido.
I am trying to find more information on women in korean history. Particularly
Won Hwa. I would like more info on that. I look forwards to your answers.
Lori

women in korean history

Post by Lori »

Hi Donna and welcome to the forum!

Personally I have no information about Women in Korean History, although perhaps our own Allen Moulton Sensei could point us in a direction or two... (how about it sensei?) Or student - who is a TKD'er himself.

I'm glad that you found us and hope that you might share some of your thoughts and insights about women martial artists - we have a dearth of female participants on these forums - perhaps you can help us change the numbers!

Many of the people who post here predominantly study an Okinawan style called Uechi-ryu (as you many have gathered if you checked out any of the other forums) but in the last year or so we have added many practitioners of a variety of styles - some of them Korean - so perhaps one or two may jump in and have some information for you as well.

In the meantime, welcome again - and I hope you become a frequent contributor.

Peace,
Lori
Allen M.

women in korean history

Post by Allen M. »

Hi Lori, Hello Donna.

All I know about Korean Karate women, is that the practice of MA by them was almost non-existant and even frowned upon in Korea. As a general rule, they were not allowed to do such things. The other thing that comes to mind, is Korean arts are done differently, esp. TKD in the homeland; often practiced VERY hard as a survival skill, keeping in mind an unfavorable encounter with North Korea someday.

But, there are usually always exceptions to the rule...

About ten years or so ago, there was a woman who made the Taekwondo magazines; she was of the level of grandmaster. I think her name was Yum-Kim. Her position was a rareity, and I believe she opened a dojang in LA.

Hope this helps a little.

Just thought, Some college educated Korean women will be staying at my house, visiting from Korea, for about a month this summer. They will be good resources for this type of information.

------------------
Allen, Home: http://www.ury2k.com/ mirror: http://home.ici.net/~uechi/
foxdragon

women in korean history

Post by foxdragon »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Allen M.:
Hi Lori, Hello Donna.

All I know about Korean Karate women, is that the practice of MA by them was almost non-existant and even frowned upon in Korea. As a general rule, they were not allowed to do such things. The other thing that comes to mind, is Korean arts are done differently, esp. TKD in the homeland; often practiced VERY hard as a survival skill, keeping in mind an unfavorable encounter with North Korea someday.

But, there are usually always exceptions to the rule...

About ten years or so ago, there was a woman who made the Taekwondo magazines; she was of the level of grandmaster. I think her name was Yum-Kim. Her position was a rareity, and I believe she opened a dojang in LA.

Hope this helps a little.

Just thought, Some college educated Korean women will be staying at my house, visiting from Korea, for about a month this summer. They will be good resources for this type of information.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ask them about the hwarang and Won Hwa and history of Queen Son-Dok and her successor her cousin Chindok. I am really excited today because finally I did find a lot of info by looking in alta-vista and typing" women warriors in chinese history" In that webpage I not only found the ballad of Mulan, but also found it was a woman who invented the White Crane style of fighting. I also found history of Queen Son-Dok and vietnamese history of the Trung sisters in the yr 40 A.D. This is the kind of history I am looking for to do a report for my instructor. I just wanted to do it for kicks ever since I saw a small paragraph mentioned of Won Hwa in Scott Shaw's website. I figured since I am 9th gup and my current form is hwarang to a report for kicks. It is not a assignment. I just wanted to write a report using a woman's point of view.
Allen M.

women in korean history

Post by Allen M. »

Hi foxdragon,

I definitely can't give a woman's point of view, and you are much more knowledgeable on this sort of thing than I, so I'll bug out.

------------------
foxdragon

women in korean history

Post by foxdragon »

Hello Allan, I hope I did not offend you. That was not my intention. Before I start, I must make a correction. Occasionally from tiredness I type in the wrong gup. It is 2nd gup not 9th.
No I am not any more informed than you. That is why I looked to here for help. Being it is a woman's forum I had hoped others have tried to find something in history also. I am still looking for more in Korea's history. Not much I am able to find I am afraid. I wanted to know if these ladies who are visiting you would know of more. So I felt maybe since our style is mixed add other countries as well.
I have just finished writing a report in rough draft for my instructor to read.But I do still want to find out more. It was not just men out there who were important in history but women as well. I do not feel it should be excluded. It is a inspiration to the ladies in the arts to know of these women in ancient history as well as the ones in modern. Donna
student

women in korean history

Post by student »

Donna:

Since Lori-Sensei mentioned me, I'll make an appearance to tell you that sadly I have nothing to add; you know far more than I on the subject already!

Good luck to you.

May I inquire as to which Korean style you study, for what reasons, and what are your feelings as to the practicality of it for your needs? Some people (regardless of gender) have different needs from others - defense, exercise, discipline, competition, rank goals and recognition - and not all styles and teaching styles necessarily serve everyone's goals.

Just curiosity on my part; if I'm being too personal or nosy, no offense will be taken by your declining to answer the questions.

student
foxdragon

women in korean history

Post by foxdragon »

The style that I study is called kyukido. It is a mixed style of karate, tkd, judo,jujutsu and hapkido. We also start at blue belt, weapons training. The reasons for me to join was to lose weight and learn some self-defense. As I got more into this I found I love it too much to stop. In my town we do not have much choices. It is either kyukido or a WTF style tkd school up the road. The other did not appeal to me much. Since I am 40 yrs old, tournaments have no meaning for me. I want the traditional style of martial arts. To learn more about myself and my style you can go to this website. http://www.cuttingedge.net/~pdgalst/donna.html
student

women in korean history

Post by student »

Nice site, Donna!

And I am now inspired to do the training I did not do yesterday because of traveling to my wife's family reunion 120 miles away.

And can they cook!

Sigh. More, more and MORE training....

("Lift those weights as much as you are able!

"Push your body backwards from that table!

"Abs! Abs! Abs! Abs....")

But first, one more cup of coffee....

student
Allen M.

women in korean history

Post by Allen M. »

Hello foxdragon,

You definitely did not offend me; perish the thought [poof!]. My visitors to be are well-trained in Korean History. Also, one of them is amongst South Korea's foremost acupuncturists, plus I have an excellent translator to help me as I delve in history which may be little known to outsiders.

------------------
Allen M.

women in korean history

Post by Allen M. »

She did some things last year at my place last year that defy even my imagination. She also turns people away, as soon as she sees them sometimes, knowing whom she can treat and whom she can't. I started writing about my own acupuncture experiences and ordeals on these forums, which sometimes were nothing less than spectacular, but abandoned the notion after answering a few smurkers.

The short answer is I don't know if she could or would, it has to be instance by instance. Due to the sad litigatious state of affairs in this country, I think she may withold treating Americans on her next visit.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Allen M. (edited May 30, 2000).]
foxdragon

women in korean history

Post by foxdragon »

Also, one of them is amongst South Korea's foremost acupuncturists, plus I have an excellent translator to help me as I delve in history which may be little known to outsiders.
Can she cure sore knees? It is a problem with me lately. My knees I think are becoming arthritic like my grandmothers. I just keep em moving. Donna
student

women in korean history

Post by student »

Donna:

I read some of those posts of Allen's, and his experiences were very impressive. If I have it right, he had suffered an automobile collision and was getting little to no relief from Western medicine, barely able to move; his Korean acupuncturists have him moving almost freely and training again.

So good luck, maybe she'll help you, too. Nothing to lose by asking. Perhaps your Korean mentors might intercede.

student
foxdragon

women in korean history

Post by foxdragon »

There is a acupuncturist in a town not too far away. America is slowly realizing some of the benefits of herbal and other ways of healing. Now, if I can just get over my fear of needles. Image My instructor liked my report. He wants me to send it in to the federation newsletter. I will after I make some revisions. I sent it in to a fellow friend and martial artist who has written for BB and other magazines. He made some comments on how to improve it. Donna
Lori

women in korean history

Post by Lori »

Hi Donna,

Congratulations on a successful report! Good for you and your independent study into the history of martial arts. Learning about the stories and legends that are part of the cultural background of the martial arts can enhance the whole experience. It is enlightening to discover how some things may have developed over the years.

I also checked out your website and congratulate you on your journey. Women seek out the martial arts for so many reasons - and the benefits often are more than what our initial impetus may have caused us to believe. I was also happy to see the women in martial arts web-ring and found more sites about women in martial arts via your link - so thank you for that. If you are in contact with more women martial artists, I would like to encourage you to invite them to participate here - we already know that the martial arts is dominated (in number Image ) by men - however more and more women are making their mark and it's nice to see. These forums are open to anyone with an interest in martial arts - of any style - and I would especially like to see more women participants. Thank you again for your participation and I look forward to more topics from you in the future should you care to do so! Anything goes as far as topics - we have few rules here - but the few that exist are enforced quickly to make this a "safe" forum from flamers and antagonists. Topics must stick to issues and while disagreement and debate is welcome, personal attacks are never tolerated and deleted promptly - hence you can always feel comfortable posting here without fear of "cyber attacks". This is unlike many of the other boards out on the web or the news groups where the reader must wade through pages of ego filled boasts and foul language - this is a superb piece of software provided by George Mattson Sensei for martial artists of all kinds who are interested in learning and discussing the many aspects of the martial arts.

So again, welcome, please continue to participate, and invite anyone you wish to contribute (guys are allowed too! Image )

Peace,
Lori

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”