dealing with larger opponents

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Lori

Post by Lori »

Originally posted by Billy B:

<blockquote>BILLY B
Member posted March 01, 2000 12:01 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How would you deal with a large attacker? What tactics would you use? Kyusho? distance?
How would you fight to stop a large man?
I ask this in the womens' forum because it was mentioned in another, and commented on. I'm sure women think about this and practice it all the time.
</blockquote>

Hi Billy B-san,

Sorry I let this post slip past me - I've not been on the forums for long stretches over the last couple months - and as my current settings only listed posts for the last 20 days I missed this one.

Dealing with a larger attacker is definitely something women martial artists deal with on a regular basis - except for a few lucky ones! I've often found it a challenge - but an advantage in some instances.

Personally I wouldn't use kyusho because I have little to no knowledge of application of technique - although I would like to learn more. As far as my style is concerned - there are techniques that we work on in bunkai applications and modify constantly for different type attacks - closer, farther, larger opponent, shorter opponent, different directions etc. I do not have a "formula" or special set of techniques that I would hope to use against a larger opponent, other than maybe getting as close as I can for as explosive delivery as possible to soft tissue areas (if I couldn't reach eyes and throat) and then getting the "hell out of dodge." The rest of my "mindset" is pretty much the same regardless of the opponent size.

From the one short seminar I had with Evan-sensei - it appears that there are some very simple applications that women in particular could find advantageous against a larger opponent.

Any input welcome!

Peace,
Lori
Tony Blauer

Post by Tony Blauer »

Good post Jake.

MInd-set is everything.

Tony
RA Miller

Post by RA Miller »

"We thank you this day, O Lord, for providing all scary people with knees, with throats and with eyeballs for the safety of your humble servant."

"I'm not sure what I want out of life, but I'm willing to bite somebody to get it."

"He may beat me but it will be the most painful experience of his life."

Just some thoughts for the day.

Rory
Jake Steinmann

Post by Jake Steinmann »

"Don't let the math beat you" - Blauer Tactical Maxim

While there is a danger to facing an opponent larger than you, it's also important to remember that the opponent is dangerous no matter how big s/he is.

This is not to say that size doesn't matter, but rather that we shouldn't allow ourselves to become overly intimidated by it.

If you enter into a conflict with a negative belief/mindset rattling in the back of your brain, like "oh my G-d, this guy is so big..." how likely are you to really put up an effective defense.

Think about it: A thumb in the eye will have the same effect on Shaquille O'Neal that it will on Warwick Davis (Willow, or one of the Ewoks, for those who don't know).

"I do not have a "formula" or special set of techniques that I would hope to use against a larger opponent, other than maybe getting as close as I can for as explosive delivery as possible to soft tissue areas (if I couldn't reach eyes and throat) and then getting the "hell out of dodge." The rest of my "mindset" is pretty much the same regardless of the opponent size."

My point exactly. Why do we need special tools/techniques for a larger opponent? I think getting close, hitting soft tissue areas, and running like hell would work just fine against just about any attacker.

Food for thought...

Jake

------------------
Defeat is worse than death. You have to live with defeat - Seal Team Slogan
david

Post by david »

Generally speaking for larger opponents:

Low, high. Or, high, low. Yes, soft tissue targets. Sternum is a target but not as preferable as some guys can take that more.

Work on the bag for fast, powerful combo's. Inside the smaller person generally has faster hand speed.

Drop down for low shot, spring up with high shot. Use the legs and the head. If bigger guy is not trained, he'll tend to bend over to protect low as opposed to sinking low to protect. Bending over, he becomes vulnerable to a head crash into the jaw or face.

Just my take. Most guys I fought were bigger than me.

david

P.S. If you have a chance and see a conflict coming, load up the strong hand with keys, yawara, mag light, pen, whatever. Makes a difference.

[This message has been edited by david (edited May 29, 2000).]
Jake Steinmann

Post by Jake Steinmann »

One other tactical note, passed on to me by a man who does Muay Thai, Ninjutsu and Kali. He also pushes the 6'7" mark.

Go for the face/eyes. Most tall fighters are so used to the "I'll cut you off at the knees" mentality that they expect the low shot. They aren't watching for the high one.

Mostly useful for a sparring situation, but still, it's food for thought.
Sochin

Post by Sochin »

Joe Lewis advises to beat 'larger' with agility. Sounds good to me.

------------------
The Fighting Old Man
Sochin

Post by Sochin »

Joe Lewis advises to beat 'larger' with agility. Sounds good to me.

------------------
The Fighting Old Man
Panther

Post by Panther »

To paraphrase:

Determination and treachery will kick the crap out of macho and inexperience anyday.

Seriously, at 6'2", ~300# and trained... I know plenty of folks that are in the 4'-6' range, 75-275# range, that I don't want to mess with! My wife and three sisters are four of 'em! I've been unceremoniously put on the ground by my wife during more than one "realistic" training drill... Good thing she has control of her techniques. Image

[This message has been edited by Panther (edited May 30, 2000).]
David Elkins

Post by David Elkins »

It always tightens my jaws when I confront the tendency of our legal system to judge "self-defense" behavior by criterion of the relative size of the combatants. What the hell does that have to do with anything? Maybe in a boxing match but not the street IMHO.

other random thoughts:

don't play his (or her -- yes, there are large mean women too) game. If you're going to go inside, do your thing and end it or get out as you'll be in their office then.

Forget about technique and attack with hate.
This purposely excluded the word strike as strikes are the least of your potential weapons -- some good ones have already been named, but don't forget to use the environment -- tables, dirt, ash trays, Cross pens, catheter bags or whatever you have laying around.

Look out for accomplices and if it's a gross mismatch in size consider the cowardliness of the assailant and facilitate them showing their true colors.

Finally (in this very limited stream of consciousness,) why are you fighting to begin with? Walk or run away and don't allow your love of the arts and/or ego to seduce you into thinking that you must respond physically to every challenge, eg., choose your battles wisely. There are a lot of people who "never backed down from a fight" in the neurology units/morgues.

------------------
Good Training,

David
Uechi Ryu West
Lori

Post by Lori »

Great posts and excellent ideas! Thanks for all the contributions - they are food for thought.

We often run across a size problem in our dojo - height in some classes ranges from 3 feet to well over six - and it is interesting to play with different strategy and technique to overcome the disadvantage and turn it into an advantage! I´ve seen some of what has been mentioned come out quite naturally - the only difficulty is really reaching for those head or throat shots for a really short person - at this point we just work on going for any vital spot within reach...

Good thread - thanks for the contributions all!

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”