muscle to muscle

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Jake Steinmann

muscle to muscle

Post by Jake Steinmann »

Cool. Glad we could connect on that.

Yes, focusing on one extreme will indeed, breed negligence in the other, and physical strength is by no means the sole factor in a fight.

Train Hard, Stay Safe

Jake

------------------
Defeat is worse than death. You have to live with defeat - Seal Team Slogan
Tony-San

muscle to muscle

Post by Tony-San »

Panther:

I've got to admit, I don't walk my own talk.

For some reason, when someone is annoying me, I tend to focus on their teeth. Then I just kind of become hypnotised by the way the move around, and eventually, I will simply punch them until they dissapear. It doesn't matter who owns them, I just want to knock them out.

*sigh* I guess I will never evolve as a martial artist until I can get beyond this teeth thing...

Tony
Tony-San

muscle to muscle

Post by Tony-San »

Ok...I got it!

I'll just say this...

Emphasis of one extreme breeds neglegence of the other.

So don't focus on physical strength. It's like the Finger that points to the moon thing...

Tony
Kristy

muscle to muscle

Post by Kristy »

"I really hope no one is teaching a groin kick to a woman for self-defense! Not when there are much better targets that are much easier to get to with effective strikes and are much better at incapacitating an attacker! "

Yeah, I agree. There are so many other things I would personally do if attacked. But there is a pressure point under that groin, but again, why waste the time when there are other points looking at you right in the face.

Tony,
Too funny about the teeth. ROFL

Kristy

[This message has been edited by Kristy (edited June 17, 2000).]
Tony-San

muscle to muscle

Post by Tony-San »

Kristy,

My point I think is that I really don't care about anything except knocking the teeth out.

Panther has alot more Martial Arts experience then I do (his spelling is much better than mine as well) so if he says a groin kick is a waste of time, he's probably right. From my limited experience however, a groin kick can set you up for a myriad of nasty stuff, including knocking someone over and doing an Axe kick or two on their skull (just do a Wauke block with your straight leg, like the Junbi Undo exercise). True... they can shake it off and come back at you, but that's where your commitment comes in. I don't know though... this guy doesn't look like he's gonna get up anytime soon:

But hey... what do I know right?

Tony
Lori

muscle to muscle

Post by Lori »

On comparitive strength:

<blockquote>There is no occasion for women to consider themselves subordinate or inferior to men… Woman is the companion of man, gifted with equal mental capacity… If by strength is meant moral power, then woman is immeasurably man's superior. If nonviolence is the law of our being, the future is with women.</blockquote>
Mahatma Gandi

So - is self-defense - or defense of a loved one - considered "nonviolence?" Oh - but that is another thread - I think it is on the "Realities" forum...
Lori

muscle to muscle

Post by Lori »

Here's another one I like about comparisons:

<blockquote>Whatever women do, they must do twice as well as men to be thought of half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult.
</blockquote>Charlotte Whitton (1896-1975)
Lori

muscle to muscle

Post by Lori »

Mary-san,

Great to see you posting here again! Glad the pain subsided enough for you to take the time to add to this topic - self-perception is a key issue...

My two cents on the strength being irrelevant issue - looks like many are saying the same thing different ways - and it comes down to what Mary pointed out - self perception. Sure - size and strength matter - but when it comes to the FIGHT it is irrelevant... language often gets in the way - THAT (language and perception) is the finger - the issue is the moon...

Kristy-san,

Please do check out Robert L.'s website - knives as self-defense tools for women is something I've recently started looking into seriously - and Robert L-san and company on that website are some well-recommended experts in that field... there is also an offer for a discount on that video if you mention you heard about it here...
end of commercial

Tony-san,

Gotta watch out for those soccer players - mean bunch they are - and a few soccer moms bear watching as well... Image

Besides - YOUR front kick - as I hear from certain seniors who have observed it lately - would have no problem dropping someone...

If only I still had some power in my legs I'd ask you to teach me a secret or two...

In MY not so humble opinion, I believe david-san most eloquently points out the true essence of the issue as it relates to a self-defense confrontation - the point is stopping the attack - and doing whatever is necessary - without regard to size strength or power - resolve to stop the attack - that ties into self-perception, mindset, fear, all of it. Thank you david-san.
Tony-San

muscle to muscle

Post by Tony-San »

Lori:

I always thought my front kick could be used to strike someones groin and drop them but I never really was sure (confidence issue most likely). If a Uechi Senior says that it will, then I must have been right all along!

Tony

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”