Seeking the Wild Woman Within

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Jackie Olsen

Post by Jackie Olsen »

Melanie,

Perhaps this may sound a bit simplistic, but "when the student is ready, the teacher or teaching appears." I agree, it's hard not to know what aspect of self needs addressing if one is not aware of it.

However, this is where meditation/prayer comes in. In zazen (sp.) before class, I usually clear my mind, and then ask to learn, understand and be aware of what I need to know ... and not be attached to the answer I receive.

JAO
Melanie L

Post by Melanie L »

Dear Jackie

Sometimes the simplest statements are the most profound. What a wonderful way to start a class. My beginner instructor told us that we should be like an empty cup before class so that the teacher can fill it with knowledge. Your thoughts are like a gentle reminder from my first sensei. Thank you.

I think that you are right about learning lessons when we are ready. Try to teach a six year old algebra and see how far you get.
Perhaps the trick is not actively seeking out your dark side in its entirety but rather examing it when it shows itself to you as opposed to our socially based instinct of hiding it away.

Thank you for your profound insight!
More food for thought. Yumm...

Take care,
Melanie
Jackie Olsen

Post by Jackie Olsen »

Thank you Melanie, your questions also are a gentle reminder to me to remember what I already know.

Perhaps the trick is not actively seeking out your dark side in its entirety but rather examing it when it shows itself to you as opposed to our socially based instinct of hiding it away.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Otherwise, we could get stuck in the victim mode!

Regards, Jackie

[This message has been edited by Jackie Olsen (edited 10-31-98).]

[This message has been edited by Jackie Olsen (edited 10-31-98).]
Lori

Post by Lori »

Please excuse the recycling of an older thread - this one is almost two years old - but it came to mind after Gilbert-san suggested Women Who Run with Wolves a favorite book of mine which inspired me to make this post - and a few others! I brought it up to the top for some of the newcomers who might want to look at some of the issues that book brought up as we've related it to martial arts study - and issues of self-defense.

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”