Self-defense courses and causes

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Lori

Post by Lori »

I found this site to be quite interesting - and it has a some very good articles on self-defense classes and resources - definitely worth a read if you are considering teaching or taking a self-defense class:
www.martialhearts.com

As a side note - the site also looks at some of the issues why women seek out the martial arts - this topic has been explored in other threads - and there are so many aspects to martial arts study that we love to mention to our students: self-confidence, self-esteem, balance of body and mind, etc. etc. Fact remains - this is a FIGHTING sport - and the motivations that bring people to study are linked to that somehow and somewhere. Self-defense is always an issue for a new student - whether they admit it at the time or not. Women in particular often face fears of attack - rape or other violence - and many women seek out martial arts as a result of prior violence in their own or an acquaintence's lives. FEAR is a strong motivator to martial arts study - for men and women - and martial arts offer, perhaps surreptitiously through their mystique, a solution, or at least some type of power where many people feel powerless. So - check out the site - feel free to post comments in this thread.

Peace,
Lori
Lori

Post by Lori »

I spent a bit more time looking through the above site - and the articles are definitely worth the read - some excellent information in there - and the reading list has many books often discussed on this and the "Realities" forum. It is refreshing to find a site that has a bit of depth to it when approaching issues of self-defense - not just some $20 dollar slapped together so called self-defense course offered at your local library... or delusions of grandeur about why that particular style is so much better than all the others...

------------------
Peace,
Lori

Forum Recommended/Reviewed Books

[This message has been edited by Lori (edited June 17, 2000).]
Jackie Olsen

Post by Jackie Olsen »

Lori,

a powerful site, thank you. I will be spending some time here.

Jackie
RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

Nice site Lori. I could have used it on Friday night as one woman at the self defense seminar was seriously vision impaired and tips from site you referenced would have been helpful.

So much to learn.

Regards, Rich
Lori

Post by Lori »

Rich-san,

Glad you liked the link. I have been very leery of anything proclaiming itself "self-defense" - especially after the last couple of years' discussions on these forums - but the people at this site seem to have done extensive homework on the subject - and I found the articles and points they make to be well-researched and relevant. Not to mention their work with various physical and emotional challenges.

So - at least it is a good resource. From the sound of your course I wouldn't doubt if you were called back to teach another course sometime soon anyway!

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”