It's not about equality

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Panther

It's not about equality

Post by Panther »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kristy:

With kyusho for instance, it is much more impressive to drop 6'2" over 200 lb guys than it is to drop a 5'6" 130 lb woman. See what I mean? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let me try to get this back... My apologies Tony... I have no desire to argue over this stuff, just learn and share... Peace...

Kristy-san,

Wouldn't it be great if the instructor would complete the techniques on the person (s)he chooses for uke... realizing that you learn a lot from being uke Image , and then guides the uke through the technique in front of the class using a great big burly macho-man uke... to finish with the technique being performed correctly by the student (original uke) on the new uke! Image

That would have an even greater impact if the original uke was a smaller female and the second uke was the "mongo" type. Image
Kristy

It's not about equality

Post by Kristy »

Panther,

Yes, also do that at the seminars. A female will demonstrate on a guy. In fact, at the next seminar, not only am I going to be a uke but I am going to attempt a technique on a guy. Well, at least I am assuming that it will be a guy. LOL

Kristy
Tony-San

It's not about equality

Post by Tony-San »

Cool.. thanks man.

I don't like arguing about this kind of stuff either. it makes a visit to the forums are real buzz killer.

So I take it we're cool then? Excellent!

Tony
Lori

It's not about equality

Post by Lori »

Aha! Another gender gap bridged - women are NOT the only ones subject to hormonal surges! Image

Seriously guys and gals - in the midst of the intricacies and challenges of language in a "flat" medium like a forum - we are without the benefits of subtle signals like body language, verbal inflection etc. as we've said before - making it past those challenges isn't for the faint of heart... or those who don't give a you know what - continuing to wade through the murkiness that emotion filled comments stirs up demonstrates a courteous and forthright spirit that is always welcome here.

Additions to this thread have been seriously enlightening and I thank everyone for their contributions...

On the uke subject - a very significant gender related topic! Perhaps the instructors among us can learn from the feelings on both sides - yes - demonstration of a technique, especially in a seminar type format DOES have more impact when executed on a big burly type - or at least someone who may not be as tall but at least looks or has trained with the demonstrator enough that there is no "confidence" issue... and I see that now - but as I mentioned before as a new and damn tough shodan I really did feel slighted when I was "discarded" as an uke so that the guys could have all the fun! Image I wanted to feel the results of the technique/pain/force so I knew better how to inflict it when necessary (I'm older and wiser now - Image ) where the instructor was no doubt just trying to demonstrate the efficacy of the technique! It's not about intent at all - it is about perception!

I like the idea of teaching/demonstrating the technique on a woman, or smaller uke, then having the uke re-demonstrate the technique effectively on the biggest baddest guy there... THAT is teaching! Image

Great thread in the interest of learning from both genders - kind of makes me feel this forum really DOES have some sort of purpose... (cue violins for JD)

Peace,
Lori

[This message has been edited by Lori (edited June 19, 2000).]
Panther

It's not about equality

Post by Panther »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lori:
Aha! Another gender gap bridged - women are NOT the only ones subject to hormonal surges! Image<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True enough! But we do get credit for rebalancing the hormone levels so as not to offend all you stronger female kara-te-kas... riiight? Image

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>On the uke subject - a very significant gender related topic! Perhaps the instructors among us can learn from the feelings on both sides - yes - demonstration of a technique, especially in a seminar type format DOES have more impact when executed on a big burly type - or at least someone who may not be as tall but at least looks or has trained with the demonstrator enough that there is no "confidence" issue... {snippage}

I like the idea of teaching/demonstrating the technique on a woman, or smaller uke, then having the uke re-demonstrate the technique effectively on the biggest baddest guy there... THAT is teaching! Image <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ummmm... Gotta confess, it's a variation on an actual event. It was more than gender based, it was also age based.

This ought to give everyone a good chuckle...

~16 years ago, I had a kids class that I taught. Unlike many of the "Mc"schools, we didn't charge anything extra for kids rank testing. The instructors had already done evaluations and spot testing in class and we decided that we were going to show the parents what their children were learning and how well their little ones had progressed. One 9 year-old girl was cute as a button and as quiet as a mouse, but she took to ju-jitsu moves like a little tiger! When she learned how to manuever someone into a throw, she lit up like a little Christmas tree. Sooooo, when we gave the "open-test"/demo for the parents, I knew where she was really going to shine and when her turn came, we went through technique after technique... I ended by reaching down to grab her. She executed very well and... Ker-Plonk! I ended up on the matt.

Think anyone was impressed with this little girl doing a Sute Tai Otoshi on me... Nope! The father of one of the other students was a State Police Officer, who spoke up (yep, in the middle of the test/demo Image ) and said, "you just went down for her." Hindsight being 20/20, I probably wouldn't do it if I had it to do over again, but... I stood up and said, "Fine, you grab her."

This 6'3" officer marches to the front of the room and reaches down (think of the physics here Image ) to grab this ~3'nothin' little girl and... Ker-Plonk! Image Ends up laying on the matt looking at the ceiling with this little girl saying matter of factly, "I'm supposed to run and call the police now." Image

I had to feel sorry for the guy, 'cause everyone was cheering and clapping and hollering... Gotta give him credit, he took it in stride and told Kelly she'd make a great cop someday! Image
Tony-San

It's not about equality

Post by Tony-San »

Who said anything about you?

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”