Publications on Women in Martial Arts

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Serendipity

Post by Serendipity »

I began studing Aikido in March. I had done some Tai-chi but didn't realy get into the either philosophical or the phyiscal part to martial arts untill Aikido.
I began a women's studies class recently and was faced with the challenge of writing a paper on the topic of women in the Martial Arts encompasing the eastern forms but baised in my limited experience of Aikido.
One small problem. There is bairly anything published about women. The articles that are published are very breif and do not actually explore with any depth. I am desperately searching for good formal sources. If anyone could point me toward a good source it would be greately apprectiated.

Thanks,

Stefanie (a.k.a. Serendipity)
Kristy

Post by Kristy »

What kind of publications exactly are you looking for? I really don't understand the topic of your paper. Could you be a little more specific? And I will see what I can find for you.

Kristy
David Elkins

Post by David Elkins »

Women in the Martial Arts -- Ed. Carol A. Wiley, North Atlantic Books, Berkeley, 1992

There is a book that is called something like Famous Women Warriors. I'm actually looking for it so if I find it I'll send more info.

There is a book about war by a woman which also unfortunately I don't remember the title but has the word Blood in the title. Sorry that I couldn't be more specific.

You may wish to talk about Yim Wing Chun and Fang Qiniang mythic founders of Wing Chun and White Crane Gong-fu respectively.

Also consider a piece of qualitative research where you might consider forming a few hypotheses and interviewing outstanding female practitions such as the moderator of this forum.

Hope some of this helps.

------------------
Good Training,

David
Uechi Ryu West
Serendipity

Post by Serendipity »

The paper is not very solidly defined I'm going to do that when I see what kind of information I've been able to collect.

It needs to discuss matters of equality between the sexes through physical, mental, and the metaphysical aspects of the martial arts. My professor asked me to use Aikido as a basis since that is what I study and expand the argument in the conclusion to include other styles.

I only hae 1500 words to do this in and would like to speak generaly myslef, but well see I'm trying to have her look it over before I need to trun it in so I'll be writing it this weekend or next Tuesday at the latest.

Thanks for the help yall and I'll keep checking.

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”