It's all in our language

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

BILLY B

It's all in our language

Post by BILLY B »

Hi Larisa,

Thanks for the response. I certainly do have a lot to learn. I find your comments interesting and educational.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by larisa:

In the bad old days, all women had to fit into one role in life - that of wife and mother. Doesn't matter if the woman wanted to learn something beyond cooking and cleaning, or to produce something more lasting than dinner, or to work on something bigger than the living room.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't share your view that the above tasks are small or less meaningfull than "bigger" projects. There is nothing "bigger" in my own life than "taking care of my woman".(Even if that means doing laundry - and it does. Image ) I know how vitaly important that role is to me personaly and to my developing family. Eventually there will be nothing more important to me than the development of my children. I am told by preists and psychologists that "taking care of my woman" should still come first at this stage, as a team is much more effective.

Of course one needs to take care of himself, make himself strong, before he can hope to take care of anyone else. So, I agree that the capacity to study music, martial arts, engineering, and rocket sceince are a good thing. The knowledge and experience benefits the individual, and if the individual has a big heart it benefits all who she comes in contact with.

Why must we degrade the role of wife and mother in order to "allow" women to engage in other activities? Honestly, I can't think of any more important or bigger role/activity/vocation than that one. (Maybe husband and father, but I don't know.)

I really had no idea that was the definition of feminism! Boy, that was outdated when it started! Thanks.
Allen M.

It's all in our language

Post by Allen M. »

Panther, you may have found beautiful women all over the world, but for the visual aspect of femininity, it sure is hard to beat the Southern Belles in downtown Charlotte. They know how to dress like women.

------------------
Allen, Home: http://www.ury2k.com/pulse mirror: http://home.ici.net/~uechi/
Panther

It's all in our language

Post by Panther »

Larisa-san,

All the women in my life (three sisters, two sister-in-laws, wife, mother, mother-in-law, grandmothers, grandmothers-in-law, uncountable friends) agree with the statement you make,

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote
"I am a human being, first and foremost. ... Yes, I'm female - but why should that completely dictate my role in life? I am a human being, just like you. I have talents, skills, and inclinations... "
The only disagreement that these women seem to have with the "greater feminist movement" is that these women truly believe in a woman's choice.

As it was explained to me (Billy B-san, take note... Image ), in the consensus of the women in my life who've discussed this with me at length, the "feminist movement" has created a 180 degree reversal of the traditional woman's role with the resultant problem that the "feminist movement" locks women into the "super-woman, super-mom" role where any woman who chooses the old "traditional" role is looked down upon. This new role, as created by the "feminist movement", basically requires a woman to "do it all in order to have it all". A role that in actuality is nearly impossible and would be taxing on anyone of any gender.

Of the women I listed previously, I know those who have made the choice to live a "traditional" role and those that have made the choice to have a career. Those that have made the choice to balance both and those that left the career behind to spend time with their offspring... those that made the choice to have children as well as those who made the choice to not have children... Across the board, these women tell me that the problem they have with the "feminist movement" isn't the fact that "Feminism (represents) A Radical Philosophy that States that Women are People", but rather the fact that the "feminist movement" has lost sight of that concept!

None of them feel comfortable with the "feminist movement" because (as it was explained to me), in the last 30 years that movement has become just as stereotyping as the "traditional" rolemodels it sought to destroy... that the idea of "feminism" is great as long as you fit into the "feminist" role. That's a role that none of them seem to appreciate being pigeonholed into! And indeed, none of them fit this new "feminist" paradigm very well either!

Allen M-san,

I've found that women can dress in uncountable ways and still be "dressed like women"! Image While the "Southern Belle" stereotype is alive and well in North Carolina, (for me) there is much to be said for the woman who can wear a business suit, jeans, comfortably casual or an elegant evening dress... And, don't be fooled... I once had a "Southern Belle" go to the range with a group of us and proceed to show a bunch of "macho-men" that a "lady" can shoot circles around them! Image
Allen M.

It's all in our language

Post by Allen M. »

Right you are about "macho-men" vs. a "lady" , Panther, especially those from the foothills of the Smokies.

The first time I lived in Charlotte, I worked smack downtown on Tyron St. in the banking district, a few blocks from the Federal Reserve. That is where I based my opinion from.

------------------
Allen, Home: http://www.ury2k.com/pulse mirror: http://home.ici.net/~uechi/

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”