1.2 Million - Get Disturbed!!!

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Mary S

Post by Mary S »

From today's National Post:

About 1.2 million Canadian men and women experienced spousal violence of some form in the last five years, according to a Statistics Canada report released Tuesday. From 1994 to the end of 1999, 8% of women and 7% of men living in Canada who were married or in a common-law relationship experienced at least one episode of spousal violence - about 690,000 women and 549,000 men.

Five times as many women as men reported by choked by their partner. (20% v. 4%)

Nearly 10 times as many women as men reported being sexually assaulted by their partner. (20% v. 3%)

Almost twice as many women as men reported being pushed, grabbed or shoved roughly by their partners. (81% v. 43%)

More men than women reported being kicked, bitten, or hit by their partners. (51% v. 33%) Men in violent relationships are also more likely than women to report having been slapped. (57% v. 40%)

More men (56%) than women (44%) reported that their partners had thrown an object at them with injurious intent.

Younger people and people in common-law relationships tend to experience higher rates of violence than to older or married people, the study found.

Steve Sullivan, president of the Ottawa-based Canadian Resource Centre for Victims of Crime cautioned that while some forms of abuse are reported more frequently by men, "no one should lose sight of the fact that women experience more serious [spousal] violence" than men. "The bottom line," Mr. Sullivan declared, "is that no one in a relationship should face violence."

[This message has been edited by Mary S (edited July 27, 2000).]
Panther

Post by Panther »

Please don't misunderstand what I'm going to write. Abusive relationships are bad, there's no doubt about it... and abusers (men OR women) shoudn't be tolerated. Having given that caveat and belief...

The fact is that 8% of women and 7% of men over a FIVE year period with many of the events being singular events (as strongly suggested) hardly supports any claims of "domestic violence epidemic" or any attempts to sensationalize a statistically small phenomenom, as the media does with these "statistics".

It should also be noted that the person touting these statistics works for an advocacy group who's very existence depends on the percieved "need" caused by such statistics.

Again, I'm not disregarding the problems of abusive relationships. Many are very bad situations that demand the highest levels of intervention/help. Yet, I can't help but think that certain sensationalist advocacy reporting does more to hurt the cause of those cases than help.
Mary S

Post by Mary S »

Panther...thanks for posting your response.

I couldn't help but wonder when I read this article this morning about all the "unreported" cases.

You wrote: "...I can't help but think that certain sensationalist advocacy reporting does more to hurt the cause of those cases than help."

In regard to this topic I'm personally not sure how sensationalism would hurt. I believe there is a growing sense of awareness about domestic abuse - the fact is that a "socially taboo" subject is now coming out into the open and tolerance for such is waning. Maybe more will be done to stop it...before it reaches that epidemic proportion. Image
Mary S

Post by Mary S »

JD - that is the second time you have asked the question "what to do?" Well, we have measures in place to protect children from child abuse, it seems to me that there are also agencies available for adult abuse. In Canada (or at least Nova Scotia) health care professionals are obligated to ask if patients are in violent situatons if they "suspect" abuse...that happened to a fellow female karate-ka who arrived at the emergency department of the hospital one night. The nurse saw the bruises from karate and immediately questioned her (I guess we're not all that backward up here ~grin~). Does the same hold true in the US? As well, teachers are obligated to report to school administration any suspected domestic abuse of students. Do you know (or does any one) if the same policies are in place in the US?
Panther

Post by Panther »

Mary-san,

Yes, the same or similar policies are in place in the U.S.

Here in the People's Supreme Democratic Republic of Massachusetts, the DSS (Division of Social Services) screws up another case just about every week. They have both left kids in homes with obvious problems, ending in the death of the child and they've also gone to homes on an anonymous tip and removed children from loving parents on little or no evidence... causing those parents to spend (sometimes/most times) years in legal battles to get custody of their children back. In a recent case I heard on the radio just a week or so ago, a woman had an argument with her husband that was a screaming match in their front yard... single, isolated incident. They lived near the town hall, so this was a public event. One year later, DSS shows up and tells her that they want her and her children to leave with them immediately to get them out of the situation! The "situation" had been over for a year so she refused. The next day her children were abducted from their school by... DSS! "For protective reasons"! The fact is that DSS (or the equivalent) in many states actually run the women & children's shelters. These agencies actually get funding based on the number of women and children in the shelters! Soooo, it's in their best interests to keep those shelters packed and to let everyone know what an "epidemic" there is. Also, in Massachusetts it is standard procedure for many attorneys to recommend that the woman in a divorce case get a 209A (restraining order). Regardless if the man has any violent tendencies or not! Having a 209A is and has been used as grounds for termination of employment, lose of Constitutional Rights, and denial of benefits! And the fact is that a stupid piece of paper (such as a 209A) is never going to ( and doesn't) stop a truly violent predator! It only hurts the innocent... Between the sensationalism of the media and the incompetent overzealousness of some bureaucrats, the only things being accomplished are the misleading of the general public and the placing of certain jackboots squarely on the throats of innocent citizens. Certainly domestic abuse needs to be addressed... certainly men, women and children who are assaulted or in danger at home need to be helped... but giving every medical personnel and every petty bureaucrat the unchecked power to play G-D by deciding which lives to ruin and how is not the way to accomplish this. There is nothing stopping the reporting of abuse (legally), but requiring interrogation of patients and allowing agencies to get funding based on how "bad" the "problem/epidemic" is... that is unacceptable.

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”