Novice

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

annevi_lem

Novice

Post by annevi_lem »

I am new to Tae Kwon Do. I have taken 2 private lessons and have signed up for 1 year of study. I am very nervous about going to my first group lesson. I am out of shape (I had my first child last August and gained 50 pounds). Will I be able to keep up? Also, is Tae Kwon Do good for losing weight? The woman I signed up with assured me of both things, but any words of encouragement would help a lot! Has anyone been in the same situation that has a sucess story to share?
Thanks,
Annie
Lori

Novice

Post by Lori »

Annie,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on taking the "big step" into martial arts! I have no doubt that you will find much of what you are looking for - and probably many things you didn't expect to find along the way!

First of all, on being able to "keep up":

If you have observed some of the classes at your school, you've probably seen students at varying levels - and the more advanced students are the ones that will hold your attention, and as you watch them you will wonder how in the world will you ever be able to get to that level, and, fears will probably surface about being able to hold your own in a class where everyone else seems to be doing great already. One thing to remember is that every single one of those students who looks like they know what they are doing, felt as you do right now when they were beginners. The advanced students are where they are now because they kept practicing even when they felt like the road ahead was way too long! I've seen beginners with many challenges, over weight, physical challenges, kids with emotional challenges, adults starting for the first time quite late in life, you name it. The study of martial arts can offer many rewards to everyone, if they want it bad enough and are willing to pay the price in dedication and hard work.

Another thing to remember is that martial arts study is a very individual art. You will be learning specifics and fundamental technique from your instructor, and it is natural and necessary to imitate your instructor and senior students at this beginning stage. As you continue your study it is important to realize that your level of progress depends solely upon you - and no "timetable." You mention that you have committed to a year long program - this is a good thing because you will need at least a year to see the results of what you put into it. And remember, a year is a relatively short time when it comes to mastering any art! Rather than mastery, a year is more like a good prep course - a chance to see if this is what you really want to do, and if this school is right for you. If it's not, don't give up on the martial arts, look around a bit more and see what else is out there. If you feel happy in your school and the art you have chosen, then you've got a great beginning to what can be a very rewarding pursuit. During this year however, please do not pace yourself against any artificial timetables - for example - after three months I reach this rank, after six this one etc. Setting goals and attaining rank is a part of the martial arts, but it is not THE reason. Some people study for years without attaining a new rank or belt and are extremely accomplished martial artists. Others will be in a program that has them zipping through colored belts faster than they change their underwear. My point is this - do not allow yourself to become molded to a set timetable - grow and learn at your own pace - challenge yourself to do more than you thought you could but never compare yourself to anyone else's progress.

Great that you joined with a friend - it is wonderful to have that support in a new venture and a friendly face in a strange environment. I suspect you will both progress pretty close to the same time, but don't let differences in progress affect you - remember this is an individual art.

As for the weight loss issue - a number of women that I have spoken with will say that martial arts has helped them to trim extra pounds. I'm one of them - having shed about 10 during my first year of study without changing anything else at first. As I became more involved in my training, I started adding things to my lifestyle that I felt enhanced my training; eating better, cardio-work, weight training, and daily calistenics. These additions were purely by choice - not a requirement for karate study - but the result was another 25 pounds shed.

Martial arts can be a good part of a fitness regimen that will help with weight loss, but first please make sure you check with a doctor and discuss a total plan of nutrition and exercise, of which karate can be one element, but not the only exercise necessary. Cardio work is also important, and although you may get some in the course of your karate class, you may need to add walking or swimming for an effective weight loss plan. Especially as a new mother, you should have some professional input so that you are not shortchanging yourself of important nutrients, and that your body is ready for the new demands you are going to place on it. This is especially important if you are nursing your baby.

I wish you the best of luck on your new adventure and sincerely hope you will continue to post here and share with us your progress! There are some accomplished Taekwondo artists that frequent these pages, and can no doubt offer some input and suggestions.

BTW: if you don't mind - please tell us how you found this forum.

Good luck and good training! The first class is always the worst to face - after that the toughest challenge is finding more time to train!

Please post again and soon!
Lori
David Elkins

Novice

Post by David Elkins »

Annie,

Welcome to the world of MA's.

My experience is that TKD schools tend to feature a pretty aerobic workout. It's important to remember that that's not all that martial arts are about. If you can't keep up at first, with dedication you will be able to. Just keep in mind that you're not there to measure yourself against others. I like the challenge when facing a new endeavor to imagine "what will I be like in a year." This takes some of the pressure off.

Hope you have a great time, but also remember that it's not about always having great times. If you don't fall down occasionally, you're not trying anything new!

Congratulations on your decision to study.

------------------
Good Training,

David
Uechi Ryu West
annevi_lem

Novice

Post by annevi_lem »

Lori,
Thanks so much for the encouraging message. I found the board by surfing the internet - can't remember what site brought me here. I'm sorry - that's not really helpful.
larisa

Novice

Post by larisa »

Well, firstly, congratulations on starting your martial arts journey. I am also a novice in TKD - I've only been studying it for 3 weeks. And if a (former) couch potato like me can do it, anyone can. I'm clumsy, I'm not flexible enough, I'm uncoordinated, and it takes me weeks to learn the forms - but I'm really enjoying the class, and I'm staying. So what if it takes me 2 weeks to get to the same point that others get to in 2 days? I'm in no hurry. As long as your instructor is understanding, you shouldn't have a problem.

Larisa
Allen M.

Novice

Post by Allen M. »

Annie and Larisa.

TKD is a lot of fun and a great martial arts system too. All the TKD dojangs I have attended seemed to have a healthy ratio of women students, and they seem to remain practicing. As David mentioned, you get a healthy aerobic workout, something which can help most people trim-down.

Don't worry about stretchability or the high kicks. Just follow your instructor's guidelines, give yourself time and patience,
and they will seem to improve all by themselves.

------------------
Allen, Home: http://www.ury2k.com/pulse mirror: http://home.ici.net/~uechi/
Kimberly

Novice

Post by Kimberly »

I am also a beginner in Tae Kwon Do, in fact I have enrolled to begin training in 2 weeks. I have been involved in Martial Arts before and was looking for a very "kick" related sport. I was a higher ranking belt in Shotokan, but found that I wanted to do more kicks and such. I've enrolled my son with me... he started last month and loves it. He's four years old and it' given him the "control of spirit" that I hoped it would. He's quite a bit more focused in life now and I've been extremely and pleasantly suprised.

Good luck Annie with your training! This seems to be an awesome forum with lots of answers for us new students!

Thank you ~ Kimberly
Lori

Novice

Post by Lori »

Kimberly and Larisa,

A very warm welcome to the forum! I'm glad that you found us and have decided to add more female voices to these pages!

Larisa: Sounds like you've made an important realization - one that beginners of both genders have to get through - we all learn at a different pace - some people are naturally more coordinated than others and some just take more repetitions before a movement can become natural or even second nature. (I'm living proof on that one!) But you have faced the first battle - which is the inner one: Can I stick with this no matter how I may appear in class? Your answer is yes - and I like your attitude! If more women could take that step - and realize what their true motives are for studying martial arts - then that first battle becomes just a stepping stone on a rewarding journey. More power to you!

Kimberly:
Pleased to make your acquaintance here - thanks for your posts on the various threads and for the kind words about this forum. These pages are pretty closely moderated so that all comers can feel comfortable enough to pose questions without fear of cyber slander, insults or "flaming" - a rare find on the internet! Please visit often and feel free to share with us anything you care to.

Looking forward to future posts from all of you!

Welcome again!
Lori

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”