Blood Alley

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Van Canna

Blood Alley

Post by Van Canna »

Paxton Quinn writes:

Traditional self defense techniques—karate, judo, and ju-jitsu, are still the current rage to make women think they are powerful and can defend themselves. It is true that self defense methods can make you physically stronger and more confident, but commercially learned confidence can get you killed in hand to hand combat. It takes a tremendous amount of rigorous training and physical conditioning for many years to become effective at fighting someone even your own size, let alone someone bigger than you .If you kick a man in the groin, poke him in the eye, or break his finger, you have not necessarily incapacitated him, he could get angrier and you might turn a would be burglar or rapist into a killer. Even if you are an expert in martial arts you are still not prepared for street fighting !

Remember __ don’t shoot the messenger!!

------------------
Van Canna
RA Miller

Blood Alley

Post by RA Miller »

Van-

Something I try to make very clear with my students is that it is all about percentages. Nothing is certain, but skills help. Awareness might make you 10% safer, powerful striking 3%, ...
If the stakes are high enough, a 10% edge is worth the effort.

Rory
BTW- most people will never be attacked. But almost everyone will trip over their own feet some day so at least the ukemis will save you a hip fracture in your eighties Image
student

Blood Alley

Post by student »

Van:

I don't disagree with the message, (and I wouldn't attempt to shoot a messenger like yourself with less than a SAM - and I ain't got any!) but I am wondering who it is you are quoting: Peyton Quinn or Paxton Quigley?

Inquiring (well, picky at least) minds want to know...

student
Jake Steinmann

Blood Alley

Post by Jake Steinmann »

Well said!

------------------
Defeat is worse than death. You have to live with defeat - Seal Team Slogan
Van Canna

Blood Alley

Post by Van Canna »

Student,

Kudos. You are the only one that got it.

Subliminal effort to raise awareness about two excellent books.

------------------
Van Canna
student

Blood Alley

Post by student »

Just minding my P's and Q's....

[This message has been edited by student (edited August 21, 2000).]

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”