Weight Training for Women Martial Artists

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Lori

Post by Lori »

***Originally posted by Natalie on old forum...

ADD MORE POWER AND FLEXIBILITY TO YOUR MARTIAL ART

Strength and training programs for women in karate

Lori has asked me to write about strength training and it’s role in karate. Strength training has many benefits besides the obvious improvements to any sport people may be involved in. Improvements in self-confidence, posture and daily chores are common benefits to anyone who begins a training program. Rapid gains are not uncommon, and rewarding results are incentive to continue. I see a lot of people come into the gym to rehabilitate after an injury, and a simple, short routine would go a long way towards preventing many injuries.

Before undertaking any new program, it is suggested that you get checked out by a doctor for any possible problems. For a beginner, I usually suggest one exercise per muscle group, at least 8-12 repetitions per set(your last rep should be difficult), and 2-4 sets. For example- Chest- flat bench press Back- lat pull down Shoulders- military press Biceps- biceps curls Triceps- triceps pulldown Legs- leg press Leg ext (quads) Leg curls (hams) Calf raises Abdominal crunches How much weight to lift is a very personal thing, and you will want to experiment to find out what is right for you. This is a basic beginner program, and many people want to move on to more advanced programs once they get the hang of proper form and breathing. Most gyms have instructors who can help you design a program that is right for you for free or a small fee.

Regular cardio-vascular training, about 3 times a week for 30-45 minutes at a time is a good start for beginners. (A walkman helps pass the time.) An instructor can help you determine your target heartbeat range. You will notice an improvement in your stamina during karate classes, and a difference in your energy level all the time. Reduced body fat is an extra benefit. No program is balanced without a good stretching routine. This feels great, and I can’t understand why so many people skip it. Regular stretching will play the biggest role in preventing injuries. Make sure you take at least 10 minutes a day to stretch and lengthen your muscles, stretching all your major muscles groups, and ones you take for granted, like your neck and back. Muscles respond best to stretching when warm, so if you are not exercising that day, take a couple of minutes to skip some easy rope, or do some light jogging on the spot.

If you have any questions or feedback for me, please feel free to email me at natalie@arcom.ca.

Last changed: September 15, 1998
Tony-San

Post by Tony-San »

test

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”