Women's Shoes

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Van Canna

Women's Shoes

Post by Van Canna »

It is the fragrant lack of practicality that makes high-heeled shoes so fascinating: in terms of static mechanics they induce a sort of insecurity which some find titillating.

If a woman wears a high-heeled shoe it changes the apparent musculature of the leg so that you get an effect of twanging sinew, of tension needing to be released.

Her bottom sticks out like an offering. At the same time, the lofty perch is an expression of vulnerability, she is effectively hobbled and unable to escape.

There is something arousing about this declaration that she is prepared to sacrifice function for form.

Stephen Bayley (b. 1951), British design critic. Taste, pt. 2, “Fashion: Being and Dressing” (1991).
Panther

Women's Shoes

Post by Panther »

There's also something about those 1940's "hobble"-skirts... grrrrrrowl.... Image
Lori

Women's Shoes

Post by Lori »

And let's not forget makeup. Why do we feel like we need it? I don't think I ever saw my own mother without eyebrow pencil at least even to do laundry.

I like this quote by Henriette Mantel:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
I don't have the time every day to put on makeup. I need that time to clean my rifle
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Panther

Women's Shoes

Post by Panther »

I like this quote by Henriette Mantel:<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<blockquote>I don't have the time every day to put on makeup. I need that time to clean my rifle</blockquote>

Now that's a woman I could LOVE! Image
Van Canna

Women's Shoes

Post by Van Canna »

Ha, Ha !! Maquillage __

Woman … cannot be content with health and agility: she must make exorbitant efforts to appear something that never could exist without a diligent perversion of nature. Is it too much to ask that women be spared the daily struggle for superhuman beauty in order to offer it to the caresses of a subhumanly ugly mate? Image

I think your whole life shows in your face and you should be proud of that. Image

It has been said that a pretty face is a passport. But it’s not, it’s a visa, and it runs out fast. Image

Some women in “ Maquillage” beg to be defenestrated __ [ pat. pending] ___ Image

------------------
Van Canna
Van Canna

Women's Shoes

Post by Van Canna »

hobble skirt __ A long skirt, popular between 1910 and 1914, that was so narrow below the knees that it restricted normal stride.

Plus high heels? " Salto de tigre" Image

------------------
Van Canna
Panther

Women's Shoes

Post by Panther »

Canna-sempai, Lori-san,

Hobble skirts and high heels... guess the secret is out... rather than have the "fantasies" of some college men mentioned in another thread, my fantasies of "control" take a different form... Image

Lori

Women's Shoes

Post by Lori »

And do these controlling "trappings" make us more glamorous?

Any girl can be glamorous. All you have to do is stand still and look stupid.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

-Hedy Lamarr 1933 actress who dared to bare
Van Canna

Women's Shoes

Post by Van Canna »

Well it beats this alternative:

" A woman watches her body uneasily, as though it were an unreliable ally in the battle for love." Image

Leonard Cohen (b. 1934), Canadian singer, poet, novelist. The Favourite Game

------------------
Van Canna
student

Women's Shoes

Post by student »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Panther:
<blockquote>I don't have the time every day to put on makeup. I need that time to clean my rifle</blockquote>

Now that's a woman I could LOVE! Image
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Carefully. Respectfully.

OH, yes....
Panther

Women's Shoes

Post by Panther »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doctor X:

"Goodness those are big diamonds!"

"Goodness had nothing to do with it!"

--Mae West's response<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shall I tell you of saving diligently for years to finally purchase a diamond as an anniversary gift for the one I love... I told her of the gift before purchasing it, only so that she could pick out what her heart desired instead of what I might chose. Her response was that for a lesser amount of money, she preferred a... well, she ended up with a rather expensive semi-automatic shotgun complete with tactical grip, extended capacity, dual action, polymer framed and a locking carrying case! Image Gawd, I love that woman! Image

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”