Do you get upset when you see the stereotypes?

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Panther

Post by Panther »

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
-- EDMUND BURKE

While I agree that claiming to teach <pick one> self-defense ortraditional kara-te while teaching tournament kuhrahtee is doing a grave disservice to the students... and while I personally have no use for the tournament-oriented martial arts, I do think it has it's place and is a great sport for some people. (Gotta admit, I'm just as bad by playing on the mispronounciation of many practitioners such as "kuhrahtee", as anyone else for calling it "garbage"... Image )

Martial artist or not, it can be fatal to live in anything less than Condition Yellow! I spend soooooo much time trying to get that very simple concept across to people that I care about! Heeeeeelllllloooooo, Wake up! Image

Kristy, sorry to hear about your personal tragedies... Gambatte kudasai!
Mary S

Post by Mary S »

What's new pussycat? (Sorry, I couldn't resist) :-) Panther any updates on this situation. I understand at least 25 males have been charged in this incident.
Lori

Post by Lori »

Nice to see the participation in this thread -

As far as follow-ups to the NY melee, it's been off the headlines here in the redneck Riviera - but this is the latest I've found: http://www.msnbc.com/news/419944.asp

looks like the perps face "up to" seven years if convicted.

Meanwhile the standard lawsuits are beginning against the city, the police etc.

So, back to awareness and avoidance again - how many of these women could really have avoided this? We've arm-chair quarterbacked the woman who should have known better than to roller-blade into a mob like that - and I agree - however - not being there myself it is hard for me to see when and where and what signals developed at what was supposed to be a public event (crowded by it's very nature) to make people turn away. Granted, once the attacks began, only an extremely misinformed or ignorant individual would stand around or wade into the middle of something like that - but are we to walk in fear at all times and never attend a public event? Pretty sorry state of affairs.

The "condition yellow" described in this thread and others seems to be something that should be taught as young as pre-school. When I have taught women's self-defense classes I notice a pattern of women going from realizing that they do go through life in a "condition white" all too often. After some reading and some work in the course (usually six weeks or so) the first realization spurs them to change from "condition white" to a condition I'm not sure how to describe as it is not the "red" of actual attack but an almost paranoid state (maybe "condition pink?") that looks into every shadow with suspicion. As we continue working on the mindset issues and bag work and simple, strong and furious gross motor responses to attack, this turns back into what is closer to the "condition yellow" that hopefully becomes a part of daily living instead of a response to specific stimuli.

Anyone else notice that particular evolution?

To answer Panther's original question: <blockquote>Does it make you upset when you see women being given a false sense of safety and security because they've learned some cardio-kickboxing? </blockquote>

and

<blockquote>Does it make you upset when you see women doing things that (as a martial artist) you know aren't the best decisions?</blockquote>

Yes - it does. As nicely pointed out by david and Jake above, regardless of how Blanks does his propogandamercials, the testimonials too often make very strong statements supporting a "self-defense" aura around the Tae Bo program. THAT makes me angry. Many women do NOT want much of what a traditional martial art study has to offer - but they DO want to feel safe. They prefer a cardio type workout with music etc. and the added bonus of feeling like they are learning to defend themselves is a sure fire hook. Now, before I sound like I'm down on Tae-bo, I'm not - I think the workout for cardio benefits is great - before my injury I tried it and would have added it to my routine if I didn't at the time already have cardio worked into it 3-5 times a week. But the packaging and marketing is what is doing the damage. Fine, many women do not want to fight unless they have to - so traditional martial arts study is not for them - but they want to feel safe and should be able to learn some basic skills to help them in this desire. To mislead them with these testimonials is only going to get more people hurt. With all the lawsuits against NYC and the NYCPD, why isn't anyone suing the perpetrators of these false senses of security? Have they too carefully packaged their program to insulate themselves? But by allowing the testimonials one would think that is an endorsement of that opinion...

Now here's a good question: <blockquote> And does it make you upset that they feed into the "weaker" woman stereotype?</blockquote>

Indeed yes. See the new thread that Kristy started on the way sex has got to play into the marketing of women fighters. This weaker women stereotype perpetrated in the media and by society can get to you after a while.

<blockquote>Honestly I am disturbed when I see either of the sexes making fool-hardy and unwise decisions which end up placing them in dangerous situations.</blockquote> - Mary S.

I agree - well said.

Lori M-D points out two sides very well - many people are simply uninformed - and as they are looking the myth is perpetuated from misinformed instructor to student etc. <blockquote>How could someone possibly think that after a few cardio-karate classes they could defend themselves? It's common sense,but then again,that's something that seems to be lacking these days.</blockquote> -Lori M-D

Keep spreading the word Lori-san - maybe someone will "get a clue" and you may never even know how you helped influence them.

Kudos to instructors like Rich C. who are taking a dose of reality into self-defense classes that they teach. Granted - some excellent Reality-based programs do exist - but as long as the myths perpetuate with mass media and musical fanfare there will be many sheep led to slaughter.

As usual, I really like the comments offered by david-san: <blockquote>Blanks is complicit in allowing those statements to be made in his (dis)"infomercials."

The more one engages in the "self-defense" side of training, the more one is likely to avoid that situation from the git go. Ms. Kickboxer was in condition white, probably rollerblading to the loud beat of her Sony Walkman.

As an aside, folks walking with walkmans or an cell phone glued to their ears... Might as well put a sign on, "Hi, I'm prey. Jump me."
</blockquote>

Thanks as always for your well placed comments david-san.

So - some martial artists teach self-defense responsibly - some are deluded and cause more problems. The responsible ones among our community perhaps have a social responsibility to use a grass-roots type of education via these forums and our own dojos to point out that the almighty blackbelt or the advanced workout video is not going to protect you in a mob of crazed attackers.

Peace,
Lori
natalie lane

Post by natalie lane »

Hello All,

I haven't been around these forums for a while, wow, have I been missing out.
I felt the need to defend some of these "cardio kickboxing instructors".

I know a few of these instructors, just casually though, so I have not had any influence on their opinions. And the few times I have attended their classes for a workout, they were both nervous, knowing my martial arts background. Maybe the certification program is different in Canada, but the instructors I know do realize that they are not teaching self defence.

The taebo phenomenom has surprised me by it's lasting power. Having worked in the fitness industry, I laugh as trends come and go. I think that taebo is great for motivating people, and anything that gets them off the couch is wonderful. But it makes me grind my teeth and growl when people think that they are learning how to defend themselves.

Nat
Lori

Post by Lori »

Natalie-san!

So nice to see you posting here again! We've missed you! We recently had some good discussions on cross-training methods for women and I was wishing for your educated input!

Welcome back! Please don't be a stranger!

-----
Lori
Lori

Post by Lori »

Another good one on stereotypes - this one stays close to the kickboxing side... there's another one on women martial artists as sex symbols I'll bring back up to the top as well...

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”