Road Outrage

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Van Canna

Road Outrage

Post by Van Canna »

APBNEWS.COM > NEWSCENTER > BREAKING NEWS > STORY

Naked Road Race Lands Driver in Jail
Pleads Guilty to Indecent Exposure
Dec. 7, 1999

By Richard Zitrin

SEYMOUR, Ind. (APBnews.com) -- An Indianapolis man is serving a five-day jail sentence after pleading guilty to a case of road outrage, according to authorities.

Timothy Hutchens, 24, admitted Monday in Jackson Superior Court that he was naked and masturbating in his car while chasing a 22-year-old woman motorist on Interstate 65 Friday morning, authorities said.

The chase came to an end about 9:30 a.m. Friday when a state trooper stopped the woman for driving 83 mph, according to state police. The woman explained why she was driving so fast and, when the trooper stopped Hutchens and saw she was telling the truth, she was not ticketed for speeding, police said.

Most of sentence suspended

Hutchens was charged with indecent exposure, intimidation, speeding, and driving without a seat belt, police said.

He pleaded guilty Monday to indecent exposure and the intimidation charge was dropped, a Jackson Superior Court spokeswoman said.

Hutchens was sentenced to a year in jail, but the majority of the jail time was suspended and he will be released from the Jackson County Jail Wednesday after serving five days, the court spokeswoman said. He also was fined $100 plus $125 court costs and will be on probation for the remainder of his sentence. Image Image Image

Richard Zitrin is an APBnews.com national correspondent
Van Canna

Road Outrage

Post by Van Canna »

Well, well....

" Pantless Official Charged After Chase
Woman Accused of Fleeing at More Than 100 mph
Sept. 28, 2000
By Richard Zitrin

WAUKESHA, Wis. (APBnews.com) -- An elected official who was driving nude from the waist down faces up to three years in prison for leading police on a chase at speeds of more than 100 mph, authorities said today.
Selma Troyanoski, a member of the Portage County Board, is charged with felony attempting to elude an officer and misdemeanor obstructing an officer, Waukesha County Assistant District Attorney Brad Schimel said .

Often drives without pants
Troyanoski explained to police why she was driving without pants or underpants.

"She said typically, when she goes long distances, she will drive without her pants and underwear on because she gets very sweaty," Schimel told APBnews.com.
A county court judge on Wednesday scheduled a preliminary hearing for Oct. 12.
Troyanoski, who is free on $1,500 bail, has not yet entered a plea, a court spokeswoman said.
Richard Zitrin is an APBnews.com national correspondent (richard.zitrin@apbnews.com).
Lori

Road Outrage

Post by Lori »

Is this a case of what's good for the goose...

student

Road Outrage

Post by student »

Re: Hutchens' case

They'll never get it to stand up in court!
student
LenTesta

Road Outrage

Post by LenTesta »

In the first case the lady was very smart by telling the officer she was being chased.
My daughter had also been pulled over while being folloed and harased, but she had never been pulled over before and she was very scared and intimidated by the officer (State Police).
I went to a hearing in Hingham Court to defend my daughter who is a inexperienced driver (1 year) who received her first citation.
Her citation was for:
Lane Violation (crossing the center line)$100
No seat belt $25
Following too close. Warning (Not charged)
Speeding Warning (Not charged)

The situation as she explained it.

I (and her girlfriend passenger) was being followed by a car with two males inside who were drinking beer.
Another car pulled out in front of her (the reason for following too close and speeding) and immedeatley pulled to the side of the road and parked sticking the tail end of the car out into the travel lane. She swerved to avoid colliding with this car and crossed the center line in doing so.
The trooper did not see the car cut in front of her. he only saw her following to close and assumed she was speeding and then she swerved to go around the car and he saw her cross the center line. He put on the lights and proceeded to follow her. The vehicle that was following her pulled over and thought that the trooper was pulling them over. The trooper pulled alongside the two males car and ordered them to leave the area immediatley, and they fled. He parked behind my daughter and when he approached her she had already removed her seat belt to get her license out of her purse, which was in the back seat. Noticing she di not have her seat belt on he ordered her out of the vehicle. She did not know why she was pulled over and she was so scared she did not mention that she was being followed.

We explained this at the hearing and the citation was reduced to $50 because she addmitted that she may have crossed the center line. She will still have a citation on her record though.

I told her she should not be afraid of authority figures and should have told the trooper that the vehicle that he sent away was the reason she was driving fast. That they were harasing and following her and that she was afraid.

------------------
Len Testa
Panther

Road Outrage

Post by Panther »

Testa-sempai,

If this is recent, APPEAL it! The charges have already been reduced in the hearing phase... so all you have to get the judge during the trail phase to realize is that she had a valid reason for doing what she did! If you haven't paid the fine yet and would like to appeal this part of it, I will be happy to give you some suggestions for the correct defense... (Most attorneys make the mistake of using either "I didn't do it" or "it was just negligence" as defenses... these aren't appropriate in your daughter's case.
LenTesta

Road Outrage

Post by LenTesta »

Panther:

She paid the fine. I realized after I wrote the post that we should not have agreed to accept the reduced citation and should have either remained and argued our case or have appealed it to a judge.

I believe she was happy enough just to get the charges reduced that she accepted the citation anyway.

All in all it was a good learning experience for her.

Young women who drive cars must be aware that they will get in trouble by not obeying driving laws even if they are being harassed by males in another vehicle. They should not be afraid of authority figures though and should state the reasons that they behaved the way they did.

She also has learned...(I told her 100 times since) "If you are being harrased by males in another car, always get the plate number."

------------------
Len Testa

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”