Guilty Pleasure

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

david

Guilty Pleasure

Post by david »

Gore and Bush were in town for round 1 of the great debate... Did I watch? Nah....

The kids and I watched the premiere of "Dark Angel", a sci fi based on a reluctant woman warrior, genetically created by some hush/hush secret ops types. She and her mutant brothers and sisters escaped the farm, each going their own way . The hunt is on. She and the rest of the brood are being hunted while she is trying to track her cohorts down. In the meantime, she leads a low key, gen X type of life while Evil prevails in this futuristic world.

Fate steps in. While trying to steal some valuable art pieces from a upscale high rise home, she runs into the owner, an idealistic type who is trying to battle evildoers. He tracks her down and learns of her mutant geneology. He tries to enlist her help. She rejects him until a friend dies because of some corporate evil doing. Her incipient sense of good and genetic warrior skills kick in. She becomes the "Dark Angel."

Really good special effects and fun fight scenes, though not realistic. The Dark Angel concept is really a well done rip off of a Jet Li movie, The Mask, which is also premised on an escaped, genetically created warrior fighting the evil system which had spawn him. But the visual quality of Dark Angel is much better than the Jet Li movie. Amazing what Hollywood money can do.

Frankly, I enjoy more the "world weariness" and age of Xena. Fits me better. Dark Angel is young, beautiful and buff and, a generation X-er to boot. Xena has faded into TV oblivion and Dark Angel is just emerging. The Warrior Princess is dead. Long live the Warrior Princess.

Dark Angel, Tuesdays on Fox at 9 PM. Watch it! Just don't admit it to too many people. Afterall, it is a guilty pleasure. Now, about that debate last nite...

david

[This message has been edited by david (edited October 04, 2000).]
Vladimir

Guilty Pleasure

Post by Vladimir »

Yeah, I saw that too last night by accident. I usually don't have time to watch TV during the week especially the sitcom shows. But this one was pretty good. I didn't realize it will be on every Tuesday. Thanks.

Vladimir
DavidT

Guilty Pleasure

Post by DavidT »

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and speak for ALL men. This show can be watched with out the sound on. This girl is,how can I say this without being a pig,.....Ummmm....nevermind, She's Babealicious. Its only appropriate that the station her show is on is FOX. OK I've vented. If I don't speak for you then I'm sorry and you're lying. By the way if you would like to know more about Ms. Alba, she is on the cover of Maxim this month..hubba hubba.

oink, oink

------------------
"Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be chaos. Before a Great person can begin something brilliant, they must look foolish to the crowd."--I Ching
ChanFan

Guilty Pleasure

Post by ChanFan »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by david:
Frankly, I enjoy more the "world weariness" and age of Xena. Fits me better. Dark Angel is young, beautiful and buff and, a generation X-er to boot. Xena has faded into TV oblivion and Dark Angel is just emerging. The Warrior Princess is dead. Long live the Warrior Princess.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amen. Though, of course, the guilty pleasure for me was to watch that campy show so that I could vicariously kick the living you-know-what out of all the guys she ran up against. Very empowering...if only for an hour. *Sigh*

Can't say I liked Dark Angel, though. And I'm a b-i-g Cameron fan. Oh, well. Maybe it'll get better. And the babe-alicious babe? You're joking, right? Even Gabrielle looks better ('course that's a woman's opinion); and I hate Gabrielle. Image
JohnC

Guilty Pleasure

Post by JohnC »

ChanFan:

Better make an appointment with the optician. Image Alba is clearly babe-alicious. Right on DaveT(oink2)

JohnC
david

Guilty Pleasure

Post by david »

It remains to be seen how the Dark Angel character will develop in future episodes. In the first, a lot of flashbacks to the "farm" to give context. She's a bit withdrawn to keep cover and perhaps has that bit of Gen X apathy (stereotype).

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote
If I don't speak for you then I'm sorry and you're lying.
DavidT, if I remember you right, you're a young guy. Image Ms. Alba is probably right around your age.

As far as "eye candy" and all that stuff, well... In real life, I don't do or like sweets. I kinda like tart apples and such... a bit of bittersweet. I guess my fantasies have a bit of that too.

ChanFan, Gabrielle plays the young "idealist" to Xena's world weariness. It's offered as balance and gives a dynamic to play off. Did you noticed, towards the end (of the series I saw) Gabrielle becomes a bit "darker?" She picked up a pair of sai's and packed into her boots in lieu of her staff. The sai and boot carry changed her aura from a seaching hiker in life to more of a warrior. I am not sure what to make of that evolution. Hmmm.... Gotta find a site where I can ordered the whole of last year's series.

david
Panther

Guilty Pleasure

Post by Panther »

Xena... Women running around in leather bikinis fighting with swords... Now what guy wouldn't love that! Image

Actually, I rarely watched it (rarely watch much TV anyway), but the female character on Xena that liked the best...

Calisto! Image (Strong, independent, eye-candy, smart... - how'd you guys say it... "oink"?)

I was going to watch the debate, but it wasn't really a debate it was more of a media spectical... So I flipped over to Dark Angel. It was alright (in an X-Men rip-off sort of way...)
sansooboy

Guilty Pleasure

Post by sansooboy »

Actually, Dark Angel is a rip off of a DC Comics title called Birds of Prey. One character is a wheelchair bound,hyper computer techie, and the other is a super capable martial arts, globe-trotting spy.

Also, I understand that alot of people like Xena, but doesn't it bother anyone that the fight scenes are ridiculous?
Panther

Guilty Pleasure

Post by Panther »

Who would watch for the fight scenes?!?! Image
DavidT

Guilty Pleasure

Post by DavidT »

who would watch with the sound on?
Valkenar

Guilty Pleasure

Post by Valkenar »

I didn't realize that the women in martial arts forum was for the purpose of men having a place to go and talk about how they like to watch "babealicious" women, and how the fight scenes ******, but it doesn't matter because what really matters wether so and so is more attractive as a mate than so and so.
Many people complain that there aren't more women posting on these forums. I don't mean to sound like an uptight a-hole, but what do you expect when this is what we're talking about? Yeah I understand, and everybody else understands that it's all in good humor and you're not really trying to say what it sounds like. All the same, if you're trying to make the point that this sort of attitude is not a good thing, I think you're missing the mark. While I do recognize the light-hearted nature of the thread, it's just a simple fact that the tone is of a locker room discussion of who the hottest TV warrior is.

Sorry to rant.
Panther

Guilty Pleasure

Post by Panther »

Get over it! The Xena fan in my house was my wife... and she's the one that used to get me to watch it.
Allen M.

Guilty Pleasure

Post by Allen M. »

They may not be posting, Valkenar, possibly too bussy laughing their butts off!
david

Guilty Pleasure

Post by david »

Sansooboy,

I really don't watch tv shows or movies for real choreographed fights. Image Most appeal, if they do that, on another level. The closest, I think, to reality was probably the knifefighting scene in "Saving Private Ryan." The other movie that hints at the mayhem on the street was an old 70's gang movie, The Warriors. Even the latter was a bit of fantasy.

Shows appeal (or not) for different reasons. Again, I am a Xena fan. The appeal is really around some interesting discussion what it means to be a warrior. The fact that the screen warrior in question is female allows, I think, discussion and exploration of emotional content that often gets skipped over with the stereotypical male screen warrior. That's what appeals to me.

I am an adult. Frankly, if "skin" is what I wanted to see. There are plenty of videos that cater to that interest. But, I certainly would not bring that in as a topic of discussion here. Shoo, I may even be too embarassed to bring it up in a lockerroom. Just my upbringing.

david
DavidT

Guilty Pleasure

Post by DavidT »

Panther made me do it. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it. BTW anyone planning on seeing the Charlie's Angel Movie?

------------------
"Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be chaos. Before a Great person can begin something brilliant, they must look foolish to the crowd."--I Ching

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”