Women and sparring in class

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Phaedra

Post by Phaedra »

I'm wondering what you have to say on women sparring in class only with other women.
One of my instructors, with whom i've been training about six months, just will not partner women with men when sparring, even the most basic step sparring. Her reasoning is that its easier to learn with someone your own height and build, and women are more comfortable with other women, but I am concerned about this for several reasons. When they come to grade, they are sure to be expected to step spar with men, and they will not have the experience sparring with someone taller, stronger, male. How will they ever build their confidence, if they are being repeatedly sent the message (verbally as well) that men are too strong and intense for women to spar with? How will they react when facing up to a man in a self defence situation?
I am fortunate in that not all my instructors hold this belief, and I have spent many happy hours exchanging techniques with men and women and children of all ages and abilities (well, not instructors yet, that comes at my next grading). But the women in that class I think are missing out that experience in a big way. I wonder how much of their timidity has been fostered by the instructor's attitude that men are to be held in awe by women. And what really annoys me, is that she expects me, as the most senior student in that class, to also propogate this myth, which I cannot. I cannot pretend to be impressed by her stories of how tough the guys are when they spar, I cannot pretend to be in awe of the abilities of men lower ranked than me, that she won't let me spar with. At this stage, I am tempted to quit her classes, and stick with my other instructors, but that won't help the other women in that class.
I can understand, when women are first learning the basics of sparring, to partner them up, but I think she is taking it too far. She even expects that when I go for my next grading, in which I will be probably be expected to free spar with instructors, that I will only be able to spar with her, as the only female instructor in the club at the moment. Frankly, I find this attitude insulting to everyone. She expects women to be timid, so she continually points out to them how intense men are when they train together. She doesn't seem to realise that men and women are able to adjust their style and intensity to suit the person they are training with. She actually expressed amazement that these men were so gentle when partnered with young children for some self defence techniques.
Lori

Post by Lori »

Phaedra:

First of all let me wish you a very warm welcome to my forum. I was HOPING you would drop in over here!

You may have picked up on my opinion on women and sparring in the "style" thread - where I believe I mentioned something to the effect of hating pairing women only with women all the time.

I feel much the same way that you do - to limit women to women opponents does them a serious disservice. Not only them - but also to the men in the class in that they do not have the opportunity to stretch their skills and face many of the things we've brought up on this forum. Fact is - we are different - as this instructor recognizes - but going beyond simply recognizing these differences and limiting yourself to working and training in such restricted parameters - instead at a certain level we all need the opportunity to work with as many different kinds of opponents as possible - gender, size, shape, race, face - as many differences as available to train. How will anyone defend against a taller opponent if they've never worked with one? Or shorter, or bigger? Not to mention that statistically, women are attacked by MEN. So to completely leave out any work with men is, well, not too wise.

It is so easy to train with friends. So easy to work on techniques with someone you know isn't trying to kill you. (Check out Rich Castanet's thread on "Back from Parris Island" where he talks about a very important lesson in not being able to pull a trigger against a training buddy. The marines do this differently - for a purpose. How you train will show under stress. Well, if you never train to be able to hit a man, chances are you may never be able to.

In women's self-defense concept classes I've taught - (all women until a point where a male opponent is introduced) it is a lot of female bonding - serious talk - a couple laughs - honest sharing of fears etc. They even do a decent job practicing a technique or two on each other. Suit up a man to play "bad guy" and the entire atmosphere changes. The giggling begins in earnest and it is really hard for some of these women to actually try anything - much less to strike at a male. These women usually don't have any martial arts training and it is an interesting phenomenon to watch happen repeatedly. Some are able to mindset enough and play with the scenario - and really go for it - letting the BG actor really have it. But this is the exception not the rule. It is very confronting for some of these women to realize that when they are trying something with their friend it is one thing - then with some guy rushing at them - even with protective gear on - it is a totally different story. This is one reason why I stopped letting women practice things on each other during the introductory class. Takes longer to have each one work with the BG stand in - but it is worth it.

Now - on the other hand (appendage as JD would say) I can see a certain methodology to this instructor you speak of. I'm not the only one to notice a certain development in many female students as they approach the study of martial arts. If they are hit with a NHB type approach that is tough, heavy on conditioning, mindsetting, and sparring tough opponents - most women will hit the road and never come back Jack. Some will stay - but again - not the majority. If, after a certain period of indoctrination into the martial arts, they are brought through the beginning stages with a bit more understanding for a totally different gender and approach to thinking/defending/fighting that a female is likely to have - after a short time they usually adopt a tougher personal approach on their own. Mention of this was on the "women in grappling" thread that I would really like to paste a copy of over here... Check it out in the grappling forum if you get a chance.

By pairing these women initially with other women of same height and stature - this is something many instructors do as a matter of course with all beginners so they can get a grasp of the technique with a more "mirror" type image. Instructional yes. Ony method? no. And if it stays that way - in my opinion, the students are getting short changed. In my dojo - small as it is - a four foot nine year old male may be paired with a 5-9" female. Even at beginner level. We try to match size and skill on a regular basis - but we also mix up size and skill on a regular basis as well.

Phaedra, I'm glad you are sticking with the class in spite of your frustrations. I've been where you are and will be there again. This is part of the "politics" of karate that we all disdain - and women most always come out on the short end of the stick or losing any political decision or battle. And this is one of many battles you will be in as a female in the martial arts whether you choose to or not. The double standard is alive and well and we must find ways to use it to our advantage so that our style and art can continue to grow and benefit both genders. With your attitude, and your willingness to talk about it - change is possible. Slow probably, but possible. Last century you never would have heard of a female in any kind of fighting art I don't think. Now it is accepted - but it is still a man's world. We can choose to accept the role of second class citizen or assert that we are different, celebrate the differences, learn from them and use them!

Thanks for your contribution and the beginning of an excellent topic. I hope we get a few more contributions on this one - we have had similar threads in the past with some very good posts by some teachers and students alike.

Stay courteous to your senior rank - stay in the class as long as you can bear it - things may change as the students gain more experience. If they don't - then they will learn real quick in another class - and - as a participant/assistant/senior rank in that class, you can use your opportunity to work with these women to give them something else to think about even if they can't practice it yet.

Please come back and contribute often!

This forum needs the fire in your words!

Peace,
Lori
Tamiko

Post by Tamiko »

Phaedra...you wrote "her reasoning is....that more women are comfortable with women".

I really find that logic to be flawed when it comes to sparring. The last thing I would ever want to be is comfortable!!

There are women in my club who only work out with women...and there are men in my club who will only work out with men. It is their loss. I don't know why anyone would want to limit themselves this way.

It's unfortunate because some day a woman may be attacked by a man and not be able to do anything (he was too big, there was too much testosterone, I was overwhelmed). "But you take karate...can't you defend yourself?" Image

I have seen women on the street take out a man simply because he didn't think she could (he was out cold before he hit the ground)
Attackers come in all sizes and shapes and different sexes!!
Panther

Post by Panther »

Tamiko-san,

Excellent reply! It is always best to "spar"/practice with as many different people as possible! A large guy can be defeated before the fight starts, merely from his own over-confidence. If he has never actually gone at it with a smaller, more agile, opponent, there is no way for him to know what fury is in store for him... It goes back to the fundamental rules: No one is stornger or weaker than anyone else, just different. Therefore, their fighting styles, by necessity must be different. This is something that women must learn and utilize to their advantage. But those big, over-confident louts... If they refuse to ever go toe-to-toe with a smaller (percieved weaker) opponent, then they'll just end up "out cold before they hit the ground"! Image
Lori

Post by Lori »

Tamiko-san,

Welcome to the forum! Thank you for your excellent contribution - we seriously need more women to offer (and stand by) their opinions! These forums are a great place to start. Please visit and contribute often!

Peace,
Lori
Phaedra

Post by Phaedra »

Well, I have a lot to think about now.
Lori, thank you very much for your support. It is a very male dominated activity, and while I usually don't notice it very much (people are people to me), there are times when its nice to know that others have been there.
Reading again what you've said has made me realise that this instructor's class does have a much higher percentage of women staying on past the first few lessons than in any of my other classes, so she must be doing something right. Maybe its because they have known only her as a sensei, whereas I have come in much later, training concurrently with other instructors in the club, that I am the only one who seems to have a problem in her class.
We used to be expected to free spar from yellow belt up, but that was changed nearly a year ago, so that now only students attempting red belt (before brown) and up are expected to, with everyone else restricted to controlled step sparring. That's the way the club has gone, and no amount of complaining and pleading has changed it so far, but it is very frustrating for those of us who started under the old system, to suddenly have one of the most exciting parts of class withdrawn from us. Plus, by restricting free sparring to senior kyu grades, it SEVERELY restricts the variety of possible training partners, particularly since the club is only 3 1/2 years old. And to have that restricted again by gender, is just too much.
Doctor X, I agree with you completely, but in the current situation, if it weren't for one of my instructors holding 'secret' training sessions with a few of his more dedicated students, I just wouldn't have the opportunity in any of my current classes. (And he's plannng on quitting the club soon due to the bad politiking that's been going on recently).
Lori

Post by Lori »

Phaedra-san,

So good to see you back again - and great to have your input.

It is nice to know I'm not all alone out here! Image

Dojo politiking and changing rules - must be the season... this is yet another area that I've seen women face some challenges - (heck - both genders do) although that may be another thread - it appears that some standards/policies/courtesies are expected and extended to male dojo owners instructors as a matter of course, where women often have a different set of rules... unless of course they are in partnership with a husband or other male who is of course of higher rank...

Yes I am speaking from some experience here! Image

Silly me - I keep thinking people are people as well! But somehow gender seems to play a part whether I want it to or not.

Sounds like you are considering the issue of sparring partners for women from different sides at least - and that is good. You are willing to consider multiple perspectives which will make you a better teacher. If you restrict yourself in turn by saying/believing that only your way is the "one true way" (pat. pending by Dr. X) then you limit yourself and your students. The instructor you speak of may be emphasizing the female side of the arts in a very male oriented world - and this helps get the women over some initial barriers. The next important thing is whether or not these women will be challenged - when they are ready - to move to the next level. I've known a couple women who turned out to be really awesome karateka after sticking with a female only class for almost a year before going mainstream into the dojo. At the very beginning sometimes I really wondered if they'd ever be able to hit a male partner or even try to. But once they made the initial transition into the arts in a way comfortable to them - the next transition into coed came much easier - and they ended up becoming formidable practitioners! This is not the case with all women of course - I only point it out because I've seen it develop this way numerous times - as have a few other instructors. So - whatever it takes to get and keep more women involved - I'm for it as LONG AS it doesn't end up deluding them or giving them a false sense of confidence in a fictitious ability!

Keep contributing please! Glad to have you here.
Gilbert MacIntyre

Post by Gilbert MacIntyre »

What a night to come home from the dojo and read this.

In our Dojo we teach Uechi as well as kick-boxing. No not "pretend" kick-boxing, the real stuff our fighters travel around to fight on different cards.

Well we have this great female fighter, she is a terror in the ring. She has been training with us for some time now, maybe 10 years, she's 24 now.

When we are going through a dill and we want to show the students what we want out of them, we get Mary to execute the moves. I notice the women watch in approval and the guys in disbelief.

Very few of the guys in our Dojo will go up against Mary. They have to be very good to do so because if they aren't she'll knock them out. Even if they are good they better keep their hands up.

Mary is not 6'8" with bulging shoulders, she is about 5'4" and very pretty. She is actually quite a draw at the fight cards and I've never really figured out if was her looks or her ability they were coming to see. For real fight fans their is no question it's her ability.

One other thing, this is something that's been discussed her before. Guys or instructors telling females " hey you hit like a girl". Well tonight Mary was going through a left right left upper cut drill in front of the class and one of the guys yelled at her " hey you can do better than that, you're hitting like a guy".

As for quiting the class and thinking that wouldn't help the other females, don't be so sure. They are watching you.
Gilbert.
dmsdc

Post by dmsdc »

Sista-friends!!!

I'm 5'4, 130ish. I've trained in a Uechi dojo for almost 5 years now. My personal experience has mostly been that the guys won't hit me until I hit them. And often, I have to hit them with some pretty solid taps before I can them to take me seriously. Otherwise, most of them will spend their bouts with me aiming at a mystical point about 3 inches in front of my chest. (BTW I have a black belt and it doesn't seem to matter...from Kyu to Dan I still ge the same reaction from mos guys)

Has anyone had similar experiences?

Dana Sheets
Lori

Post by Lori »

Dana-san,

Welcome to the forum! So glad to see you here - seen a few of your posts on the other forums and I'm honored you found your way to this one! Looking forward to your continued contributions!

In answer to your question - YES! I have had similar experiences. I even have a problem sometimes with male students who think my head is somehow magically about a foot or to either side when practicing controlled shots to the head. I'm all for safety - but if we are practicing blocking a strike to the head you need someone to strike toward your head...

(I don't do this with brand new beginners before anyone has a fit...)

I've been out with a spinal cord injury for some months now and haven't had this problem in all that that time as I'm not "allowed" to even practice light contact - however, this was often a problem. Like you - I would have to lay out a few solid "taps" before it was known I was going to dish it out and was expecting to receive same...

On the other hand there have been the very few occasional super-egos that have perhaps some latent oedipus complex or who knows what and my role as a female in karate was, shall we say, challenged in a very physical manner with extremely hard strikes that I felt were perhaps even stronger than what was given to the males... fortunately I lived through it but had a few uncomforable places and even some light injury as a result. Lesson learned now as a dan rank, I do not get "checked" by someone I do not know - and reserve the right to say so - unless my sensei directs me to them for such. Having made him aware of these experiences in the past, I have enough faith in him not to direct me to someone who might injure me. That is - once I'm back to training that way again!

I'm looking for a couple older threads where we talked about this subject of guys hitting girls and vice versa so you can take a look - some of the input was quite enlightening - even if we do get more male input than female... I hope you will become a regular participant here!

Peace,
Lori
dmsdc

Post by dmsdc »

Hi Lori-sama,

Thank you for your kind welcome. I've been a quiet reader of your forum for many weeks and am happy to have found a place to contribute.

I would like to offer that in my experience in sparring, the worst thing to do is to get in close but not close enough.

When they are the bear and you are the bumble bee you must get as close as you can (and offline) to them before you stike and then buzz away before they can respond. Also, the closer you are the easier it is to execute a follow up throw. One of my hardest habits to break was trying to big as big as they were in a spatial sense. I would only charge in close enough to where I could reach them, which usually put me at their perfect counter distance.

Get a little closer & don't be shy! Image
You'll be surprised how unbalanced the big guys get when you get into their space.

Dana

[This message has been edited by dmsdc (edited September 18, 2000).]
student

Post by student »

I find it useful in TKD matches to close and do Wing Chun straight blast/chain punching. I am not tall and I do not kick especially high.

The points aren't called for me - after all, I'm not kicking. But my opponent knows.

And so do I.

More to the point, this is much closer to what I would actually do on the street. It's frustrating at tournaments consistently to be at the bottom...but I'm not developing a set of non-useful (indeed, maybe anti-useful) reflexes if I can help it.

student
Tony-San

Post by Tony-San »

The Bear and the Bumble Bee! Hey! That's pretty cool!
dmsdc

Post by dmsdc »

Tony-san,

From what I hear about you, this would have to be my strategy if I ever meet you on the floor. All 5 feet 3 and 1/2 inches of me!

I suppose a wasp would be a more apt creature...since they can keep stinging, and stinging, and stinging, and.....

cheers!

Dana
Allen M.

Post by Allen M. »

TKD-ers can't stand that close-in stuff, Dana

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”