Unconventional Rape Defense

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Sal Glesser's Spyderco Knife Company introduced a knife, the Matriarch, specifically for sale to women in South Africa as a defense weapon against rapists. It is a very nasty device that he will not sell to non-police or non-military in this country because it is relatively inexpensive and he is extremely afraid that it will get into the hands of punks on hte streets and wind up getting pocket knives banned, or at least the one-hand opening pocket knives banned.

For pictures, follow this URL: http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum52/HTML/000715.html

------------------
Walk in the Light, Hugh
hughf_us@yahoo.com
Allen M.

Post by Allen M. »

bought a G-2 folder, with a metal handle and rubber imbedded grips, when they first came out, Hugh, and those pictures don't do it any justice, not even close. They are so good you can't get them anymore, or at least not for a while after they first hit the market. This beautiful fighting knife is by far the most wicked one I have ever owned; It can rip chunks of flesh out of someone, enter the throat, or easily pluck an eyeball.

It has a real good feel when clutched tightly, and truly becomes an extension of your hand. When I sold my knife collection, this was one of the few I could not let go.

P.S. I just snapped these two pictures:

[This message has been edited by Allen M. (edited November 02, 2000).]
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Allen,

I have the same knife. A very fine gift from David Moy [ what a guy] !

He trained with it in the left hand with a view to weapon retention.

My God what a fearsome weapon, you start to bleed by just looking at it!

PS_ Is it legal to carry in Mass. ??

------------------
Van Canna

[This message has been edited by Van Canna (edited November 02, 2000).]
Allen M.

Post by Allen M. »

There isn't much legal in mass, and I don't carry it. I have another folder that's similar in blade length, maybe a little longer with a wider serrated blade, a fancy fishing knife, really, and when I first came to Mass., I found out it was a no-no to carry it.

You can't get a permit for knives, but at least you can still get a handgun permit.

Doesn't the shape of the G-2 remind you of a linoleum cutter? I've used those knives, much blander, on linoleum and rugs, and they are awesome tools; Once you start moving down the material there's no stopping it, and a rug is much tougher to cut through than a person's winter jacket.
david

Post by david »

Hugh,

I really think Sal is being overly cautious, though he seems to be lightening up with the release of the MBC (martial blade craft) models like the Keating's Chinook and the Bram's Gunting. He also has drones (practice knives with dull edges for gunting, delica, endura and soon, I hope, the chinook.

I just found out yesterday there is an animal in the midst of my community. One 16 year girl raped in the stairwell of an apartment for several hours. Soon, a second girl raped and stabbed by the animal in her own home. He used a common steak knife. The brother of the girl had invited the animal home, thinking he could help this guy who claimed to be looking for work...

The LEO's finally decided, oh...we may need the community's help... The rapes happened nearly a month ago and never mentioned in the community or local news. The oh so sensitive detective said, "The girls survived. They're fine." Oh really...

Wished one of the girls had a matriarch and wherewithal to use it.

david/sing
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Firstly, Allen and Van, what Allen pictured appears to be the much more expensive Civilianwhich is readily available if you have the money, simply go to BladeForums.com and check out the "Links" section for dealers. I know that I have seen them for sale at MJS Knives, Bayou LaFourche Knife Works, and Knife Center of the Internet, all at discount. The big difference is that the Matriarch has a Zytel hilt and is about 1/2 to 1/3 the price of the Civilian, which is why Sal is so nervous about it getting into the hands of gang-bangers.

David, the question of the restrictions on sale in the US has been thoroughly hashed and rehashed in the Spyderco forum over on BladeForums, of which Sal is one of the moderators(!). He has participated heavily in these discussions and is very aware of the unhappiness with his decision, but he is sticking by it on the grounds that it is better to be cautious than to lose the whole show. I doubt seriously if he plans to change his mind any time soon. There is an interesting self defense alternative, however. If the law in your jurisdiction allows a 4 1/2" folder, you might wish to look into the REKAT Sifu. It is currently the king of the mega-folders and can be had for about $100, plus/minus. I have added a URL of a picture and description, but I have seen lower prices. http://onestopknifeshop.com/store/rekat-sifu.html

BTW, as a Quaker, the thought of predators on two legs or four going after my wife or daughter does tend to try my beliefs to the breaking point. I doubt that I could be very peaceful under those circumstances. Fortunately, I have not been so tested, there or with a third party.

------------------
Walk in the Light, Hugh
hughf_us@yahoo.com
Panther

Post by Panther »

Massachusetts CMRs & MGL are no longer online... They really hated people calling them and pointing out the discrepancies. Image

So, it'll be a little while before I can find my information. However, I carry a one-hand opening folder that has a 3-3/4", partially serrated single-edged blade. IIRC, it's well within the limit. I've never once had it questioned by an LEO and I've even been around some LEOs when one needed to cut something and before anyone could say "boo", I had it out, opened, turned handle-out, and in front of the LEO's face. He just laughed and asked if I specifically "practiced" that move. Naturally, I told him "yes"... Image

Regardless, I'm curious as to blade-length of this SpyderCo... and why (or who told you) it's illegal in MA?

[This message has been edited by Panther (edited November 03, 2000).]
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

The Civilian has a 4 1/8" blade, the Matriarch has a 3 5/8" blade. If you wish to look at Spyderco's products and read their specifications, go to this URL: www.spyderco.com

I had posted this response in the hope of informing any women reading the thread of what is reputedly an excellent knife that had been expressly designed for women's use as a self-defense weapon. They are available if you have a law officer or military friend and at a reasonable price. I would hope that any women reading this thread have not beenput off by the above discussion, but will think about trying to look into the Matriarch. BTW, the knife is named after the alpha female elephant that leads the herd, since bulls generally do not run with an elephant herd, or so I have read.

------------------
Walk in the Light, Hugh
hughf_us@yahoo.com

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”