Martial Arts Newbie

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

OneWay

Martial Arts Newbie

Post by OneWay »

Hi guys. I wanted to introduce a new website that I thought would be of interest to this group. It follows a writer named Sara as she tries martial arts for the first time. She writes about a new martial arts discipline each week. I think we can relate to many of her experience... After you guys check it out, let me know what you think. The URL is http://www.carbonecho.com/Sara/Karate.
MetaBaron

Martial Arts Newbie

Post by MetaBaron »

The link seems to be broken on this one.
-Meta
Lori

Martial Arts Newbie

Post by Lori »

Try this one: http://www.carbonecho.com/Sara/Women

This is one of a series of articles by a freelance writer - trying out a number of different martial arts (she's been doing this since August (?) ) and is writing of her experiences in each one.

I read a couple of them and found them readable and sharing some good insights about a female in the predominantly male martial arts world.

I didn't check into the host website though - but it looks like it has a number of dimensions.

Happy reading.

------------------
Lori
Forum Recommended/Reviewed Books
Allen M.

Martial Arts Newbie

Post by Allen M. »

Bah Humbug and too close to the full moon. I must have read too many re-hashes in Black Belt magazines in my youth and am pretty burnt out reading the "Same $hit, different day" over and over again. Same unsolvable arguments over and over again, same recreating of the universe only to end up in the same space it all started. I realized the fruitlessness of it all when I started pawing over the forums and Q+A on that site.

The time for something new, wholesome, and refreshing is long overdue.

------------------
Allen Moulton from http://www.ury2k.com/
Lori

Martial Arts Newbie

Post by Lori »

Allen-san,

Thanks for the honesty! As a martial artist myself - and after almost three years on these forums - I had a similar reaction. I would have to say that the articles she is writing are definitely re-hashing many things I've read (and written!) but perhaps the difference is that she found a market for it - and for female newcomers to the arts - perhaps the articles could be an interesting exploration into the different styles available.

Too many beginners to the martial arts get bogged down in all the different "pitches" from schools trying to pay the rent - often the pitch will draw the student more than an explanation of the different styles would - (why sell the competition!) I almost feel like a new student has to have some time under their belt (so to speak Image ) before they can make an informed decision. The problem is - if this woman/writer has been doing this only since August - I seriously question the validity of her opinion if it is formed in only a few lessons... kind of a jumping jill of all trades - master of none perhaps?

But if the general feel of the style from a female perspective can be communicated in her series - and thus helps a potential student decide on a discipline - then more power to her.

(Of course - all they have to do is ask on this page and we'd be glad to give them an opinion wouldn't we? Image )

------------------
Lori
Forum Recommended/Reviewed Books
Allen M.

Martial Arts Newbie

Post by Allen M. »

No problem with the site or the material, Lori, it's just me right now. Her website is uniquely presented, clean and well-done. A good website.

------------------
Allen Moulton from http://www.ury2k.com/
david

Martial Arts Newbie

Post by david »

It was an easy read and, yes, nothing we haven't pretty much heard in these forums in general with respect to a "beginner's" perspective.

The woman's perspective is always interesting from across the gender line (or divide perhaps). Personally, I find the female perspectives of those who have committed to a practice long term more interesting -- the challenges and the adaptations to presevere in training. I guess it's an issue of affinity... Tell me of your struggles along the way, your endeavor to accept or to overcome, your victories and defeats. What can I possibly learn through your experiences on the training path, from across the "divide...?"

david

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”