Merry Christmas

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Jake Steinmann

Merry Christmas

Post by Jake Steinmann »

"palmetto bugs. Cockroach extraordinaire. They will test your hand speed"

This is why anyone with any sense stays far above the Mason-Dixon line. We might freeze to death, or be mauled by wolves and grizzlys...but at least it's ain't bugs (ugh...).

Merry Christmas!

------------------
Jake Steinmann
PDR Team
www.tonyblauer.com
Tell the Spartans, stranger passing by,
that here obident to their laws we lie
- Inscription at the site of Thermopylae
Allen M.

Merry Christmas

Post by Allen M. »

Well we do have our Cicadas up North.

------------------
Allen Moulton from http://www.ury2k.com/
david

Merry Christmas

Post by david »

Sounds like a fun crowd headed South. What a way to start the year! I'm envious, except of those buggy things. Reminds me of much younger days in Hong Kong. Big roaches and -- DUCK! -- they can fly. Image

david

PS. Mary, they lovethe Canadians down there and want to keep you "unsuspecting" so you'll make the trip. Just keep thinking, balmy 60 degrees... A warm Canadian summer! Image Hey, pass a Molson for me... (just ONE 'cause that's my limit.)

[This message has been edited by david (edited December 24, 2000).]
Gilbert MacIntyre

Merry Christmas

Post by Gilbert MacIntyre »

Merry Christmas Lori et al.

Christmas in Cape Breton is beautiful. There is fresh fallen snow and the temperature is about -12 C. In our community it is the rare house that is not decorated with lights. It is wonderful to drive the streets at night and see every house lit up.

The tradition in my wife's family is Christmas Eve is spent here at our home Christmas Day at her sisters and New Year's at her brother's. All the kids that have grown and moved away come home. So tonight about 20 people come over for a huge feast that my wife and I cook up. Fish chowder, steak, sweet and sour meat balls, lasagna, salad, ham, fresh bread, home made rum balls, truffles, short bread, oat cakes, double chocolate bombe, cheese cakes and lots of wine. Plenty of fiddles, guitar and piano.

Everyone is gone by about 1:00 am, we do the Santa thing and retire.

Christmas morning!!! I wake everyone around 6:30 am. We tear open all the gifts, I make some croissants and fry some ham and eggs. Put some freshly roasted and ground coffee in the french press(Tony told me how to roast, thanks again). Eat and then with some of us still in pajamas we jump in the car and drive the short distance to my wife's sister's wake them and do it all again.

Boxing day is a huge kitchen party at my uncle's, bring your hidden talent. This is a Cape Breton tradition, kind of an open mike thing. On the way home that night we stop at a party put on by my Sensei, Dan MacDougall. Again open mike, fiddles guitars, piano and more. This year I understand we will be visited by Sensei Duncan Macleod.

Enjoy the holidays folks
lori macleod-doyle

Merry Christmas

Post by lori macleod-doyle »

I'm with Jake on this one. I'm no fan of those big exotic bugs you guys have down there,but I guess I can risk it to spend a few days with you all. Image What good are they anyway?
At least the Gaters and lizards are useful! And I could use another pair of boots,no matter what Mary says.

Lori M-D
lori macleod-doyle

Merry Christmas

Gilbert-San,
Even thought it is home,I haven't spent a Christmas in Cape Breton in quite a few years. Image You make me want to load up the car and join the party. There is nothing like A Cape Breton kitchen party, except a Cape Breton kitchen party at Christmas!
I hope you and your family have a most wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Lori M-D

[This message has been edited by lori macleod-doyle (edited December 24, 2000).]
student

Merry Christmas

Post by student »

A Happy Holidays to all my never-yet-seen friends out here; friends at whose side I would spiritedly fight - and who would fight at mine.

Yes, that is a strange thought; probably more so for this being a season of peace for some of us. Nevertheless, I feel it to be both accurate and right.

And a Happy New Year!

student
Tony-San

Merry Christmas

Post by Tony-San »

It's not the bugs you have to worry about here at this time of year. Right now the entire county is riddled with the deadly Walking Catfish! These fish are like Gila Monsters. They will latch on to your leg and never let go. Their venom is more toxic then a coral snake and they are responsible for 1,000's of death each year!

No one knows why, but for some reason walking catfish HATE humans and attack for no appearent reason! Here is a short video clip of a walking catfish launching a relentless assault on a poor victims leg:
http://www.nrm.se/ve/pisces/images/walkcat.mpg

Please use caution in Brevard county this time of year and bring some very tall boots!

Tony
lori macleod-doyle

Merry Christmas

Hey Tony!
Are you trying to scare us off?????
You said you were going to take us to the beach. Are we to be fish food? Image

Lori M-D
student

Merry Christmas

Post by student »

As someone who observes the Kashrut (Kosher) laws, I do not eat crocodiles, crustaceans, nor catfish, and I sincerely hope that they would return the favor!

student
Jackie Olsen

Merry Christmas

Post by Jackie Olsen »

Thanks, Lori,

The grass is greener down South at this time of year. After just receiving another 12" of snow, even the lizards and catfish are starting to look good!

Where's El Nino? We have been really spoiled for the past 5 years or so by hardly having any snow. Now, the snow has been non-stop for 21 days!!!

Have a very Merry Xmas, whereever you are!

Jackie
Jake Steinmann

Merry Christmas

Post by Jake Steinmann »

My original point remains clear...here at my parents house in Syracuse, I have only to worry about freezing to death from looking out the window, and perhaps the occasional wolf-pack (ok, maybe not the wolves...).

Yeesh...y'all got some weird critters down there...

Merry Christmas!

------------------
Jake Steinmann
PDR Team
www.tonyblauer.com
Tell the Spartans, stranger passing by,
that here obident to their laws we lie
- Inscription at the site of Thermopylae

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”