Merry Christmas

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Allen M.

Merry Christmas

Post by Allen M. »

Lizard Fruitcake? Yum!

------------------
Allen Moulton from http://www.ury2k.com/
gmattson
Site Admin

Merry Christmas

Post by gmattson »

That was a great choice of articles, Lori. Those of us in the North, faced with the cold and snow are feeling a bit better, knowing that you Floridians have your own form of snow! Faced with the options, guess I'd prefer to shovel snow rather than lizards! Image

Happy holiday to you, your family and students.

------------------
GEM
Mary S

Merry Christmas

Post by Mary S »

Lori I read that article and all I could think of was that Licalzi was Italian for lizard! :-) I wish you and all the others from your area safe and happy holidays. See you in January! (Lizards have teeth?!?!?!)
Tony-San

Merry Christmas

Post by Tony-San »

It doesn't mean anything. When uttered it's a sound so unique that no one has been able to attach any significance to it.

[This message has been edited by Tony-San (edited December 22, 2000).]
Lori

Merry Christmas

Post by Lori »

Thanks Sensei!

Actually - something that makes reading stuff Dave Barry rights so damn funny is all the truth in there - the Christmas trees for one... if you want a green one you have to practically mortgage your house to buy one... otherwise it's tumbleweeds - and you have to be careful because many times they spray the brown ones with some kind of green glue so the needles stay on just until you get the tree in/on your car! Honestly!

Then the lizards - well - yeah Mary - some of 'em do have teeth - but they don't bug me as much as the spiders that are as big as the side of trash cans - the ones that come in on the banana boats and lurk behind the extra plywood in the garage (shiver!) I think we've lost a few pets to those critters...

But hey! It could be worse! We could be scraping ice off the windshield! Sitting in a traffic jam behind the snowplow! Slipping off the road in yet another patch of ice!

Actually - it doesn't matter. For me, this year especially, it turns out Christmas is more than where you are in location - it's where you are in your heart. I hope all of you have Christmas (and Hannukah and all other Winter Solstice time celebrations!) in a wonderful warm and pleasant place in that regard...

Peace,
Lori
Lori

Merry Christmas

Post by Lori »

Licalzi means "lizard" in Italian?

ROTFL!!!

Yeah - that lizard has teeth I bet! Soon as he figures out what part teeth have in some sanchin move ya'll better watch out! He's already developed a heck of a "butt-zuki" he found in Seisan... so teeth are probably on his list to dig out of kata and internalize into some new death grip move somewhere!

(Or maybe he already has... glad I'm not fit to be an uke these days!) Image

Nice to see you on the forum Tony-san... Image
lori macleod-doyle

Merry Christmas

Post by lori macleod-doyle »

To all,
A very Merry Christmas and a healthy and peaceful New Year!
I look forward to seeing many of you in Florida for Winterfest next month. Image Although I'll be missing a weekend of snowboarding ,I look forward to a few days of sunshine and friendship. See you all soon!

Lori M-D
Mary S

Merry Christmas

Post by Mary S »

HAHA...Lori, missing a weekend of snowboarding will be a drag for you I know but maybe you can bring home a new pair of lizard boots!!! (Like you "need" more boots!!!) :-)
Allen M.

Merry Christmas

Post by Allen M. »

Lizard boots? Watch out, Tony. They're plannin' on skinnin' you alive.
Van Canna

Merry Christmas

Post by Van Canna »

Licalzi=lizard in Italian?

It must be that Italian language of our parallel world.

The Italian language of the Italy I was brought up in translates as follows:

Lizard= lucertola Image

ps. Mary , you are going to love those palmetto bugs. Cockroach extraordinaire. They will test your hand speed. Image

------------------
Van Canna

[This message has been edited by Van Canna (edited December 22, 2000).]
Lori

Merry Christmas

Post by Lori »

Christmas is coming and the consumers are in a frenzy - we are all caught up in last minute details - but one of my details is to wish all of the readers on uechi-ryu.com - the moderators and administrators, and the whole crew - a very wonderful holiday season - and a prosperous new year.

I'm including something here from my favorite columnist - Dave Barry. As many of you are shoveling out from under the white stuff - don't think that it's all rosy in the sub-tropics - we actually had to turn on the heat the other day and find a sweater because the mercury dipped below 60. We're suffering through though (ducking, dodging and weaving - to borrow a phrase from student Image ).

Seriously though - warm Christmases are not without their pitfalls, lizards and other annoyances - as you can read in Dave's column below. Meanwhile - enjoy the season and check out dave-san's post in the Creative Forum about the solstice - an excellent if not more appropriately solemn observation.

Merry Christmas to all - and to all a good fight!
-Lori

------------------------------------
Published Sunday, December 10, 2000, in the Miami Herald

<center>Lizards, fruitcake and tumbleweeds ... it must be Christmas!</center>

By DAVE BARRY

Here in Florida (Official State Motto: ``I voted for WHOM??'') we do not have what you would call a typical Christmas season. For one thing, it never snows, at least not in Miami. Down here, we don't sing, ``I'm dreaming of a white Christmas.'' We sing, ``I'm dreaming of a Christmas that is not so hot and humid that I need a coat hanger to un-bunch my underwear.'' Actually, it's a good thing we don't get snow: People down here already have enough trouble driving. For example, we have an inordinate number of accidents caused by people driving into buildings. And these are not buildings that have been carelessly left in the roadway: These are buildings carefully placed off to the side. Yet people drive into them! I suspect that somewhere in the official Florida driver's manual, there's a picture of a building, with the words: ``If you see one of these, aim straight for it!''

So if we ever had snow, it would be horrible. There would be cars on roofs, cars in the palm trees, cars in the Gulf Stream. The only safe place for a pedestrian to stand would be on an actual highway.

Since I've lived here, we did have one cold Christmas -- cold for us, anyway -- when the temperature briefly fell into the 30s. But snow did not fall from the sky. What fell from the sky was: lizards. Really. I went outside on Christmas morning, and lying on my lawn, looking stunned, were at least a dozen bright-green lizards that had fallen out of the trees. These were not small lizards. These things were the size of cocker spaniels, and they had TEETH. That is not a normal Christmas-morning sight. There is no Christmas carol that goes:

Good King Wenceslas looked out

On the feast of Stephen

Saw big green lizards all about

So he said, ``I'm leavin'!''

Nevertheless, even in Miami, we do have our Christmas traditions. Traditions are an important part of Christmas. For example, when I was a boy, my mom and I had a wonderful tradition that went on for nearly 10 years, called: The Fruitcake Slam. I am not making this tradition up. Every year, some people we knew thoughtfully sent us a fruitcake that was approximately the same density as the Hoover Dam. And every year, my mom -- who was, take my word for it, the funniest person who ever lived -- would declare, in her brightest June Cleaver voice: ``Look, Davey!'' (She called me Davey.) ``The fruitcake has arrived!''

And I'd say: ``Hurrah! I hope we don't accidentally leave it in the kitchen doorway, like last year!'' Then I'd open the kitchen door and place the fruitcake on the sill.

``UH-oh!'' my mom would say. ``It's getting drafty! I had best close the kitchen door!'' And she'd give the door a mighty slam. Usually the first slam would barely dent the fruitcake, so my mom would give it a few more, the two of us cackling like maniacs. This is still one of my fondest Christmas memories.

Anyway, here in South Florida, I have a new tradition, called: Try To Find A Christmas Tree That Was Actually Alive Within The Past Five Years. This is very difficult. Christmas trees are grown up north, and as the tree shipments travel south, all the good trees get taken along the way. By the time the trucks reach Miami, all that's left are these brown, scrawny things that appear to be members of the tumbleweed family.

And even those quickly get snapped up. By the week before Christmas, trees are scarce. Last year, on Dec. 23, my wife and I were driving around, desperately looking for a place that still had trees, when we spotted a guy selling some out of a pickup truck in a parking lot. This was not just any parking lot: This was, I swear, the parking lot of a strip club.

These were not choice trees. Each one had maybe five remaining needles, which was also the number of teeth possessed by the guy who was selling them. But at that point, we were glad to get anything. We picked out a tree, paid for it, and stood there for a moment, basking in our success. It was just getting dark, and the temperature was about 85 degrees. Our Christmas tree's naked branches were bathed in the bright pink glow given off by the sign above us that said, simply, ADULT ENTERTAINMENT. It was a special moment, a Christmas-in-Miami moment. And at that moment -- call me sentimental, if you want -- I felt a very special kind of feeling. It was my underwear bunching up.

[This message has been edited by Lori (edited December 22, 2000).]
Lori

Merry Christmas

Post by Lori »

Okay - I give! So what is a Licalzi in Italian?

And as for the palmetto bugs - well - we need something to keep the scorpions and snakes fed...

That is when we don't have enough snow-bird tourists to go around! Image

[This message has been edited by Lori (edited December 23, 2000).]
Tony-San

Merry Christmas

Post by Tony-San »

Butt Suki? HAH HAH!

I think Licalzi means that someone has singled me out! Image

(hopefully it's santa claus)
Allen M.

Merry Christmas

Post by Allen M. »

Sorry, Tony. Santa won't be here this year. He's been shot out of the sky http://www.xpres.net/~gmattson/ubbs/Forum18/HTML/000272.html

------------------
Allen Moulton from http://www.ury2k.com/
Mary S

Merry Christmas

Post by Mary S »

Typical! You guys lull us unsuspecting Canadians down to lovely Florida with promises of an incredible weekend of karate and then you tell us of all the other stuff!!! George-Sensei, there was no mention of this stuff on the application!!! :-) I'm hoping Licalzi means "person who keeps the scary stuff away from Mary"! Van-sensei, when we get there Lori MD and I will tell you the tale of the Dominicn "grasshopper" we came in contact with on a trip a few years ago. I swear it was so big it had antlers!!! HA! If it were still alive it would probably be pulling Santa's sleigh this year!! Best wishes to all and I look forward to seeing you all in January! :-)

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”