A real case of successful self-defense

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Please follow this URL to the Spyderco forum over on BladeForums.com and note especially the response of Spyderco's owner and CEO, Sal Glesser.
http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum52/HTML/001187.html

I don't know how many companies and their management would stand up for their customers and products like he does. I haven't always agreed with him, but he is always a class act.

------------------
Walk in the Light, Hugh
hughf_us@yahoo.com

[This message has been edited by Hugh (edited January 03, 2001).]
Lori

Post by Lori »

Hugh-san,

Great thread! Thanks for posting the link - Way to go Sandy!

Dave Elkins Sensei recommended a Ladybug to me some time back - soon as I get over the financial drain of Christmas - it goes to the top of my list of things to buy!
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

I don't know where you are located or what laws, if any, you would face regarding blede lengths, but there are other possibilities, as I mentioned to Sandy. The Delica has a 2+7/8" blade and costs about $39.35 at Bayou LaFourche Knifeworks http://www.knifeworks.com/
I understand that Spyderco also makes a trainer for this knife with red scales and a dulled blade with a rounded tip. I also understand that various colors other than black can be found, if you search for them. Please do not think that I am prejudging with that comment, I happen to prefer colors other than basic black. I have read that there is a martial arts school out on the West Coast that specializes in using the Delica as its prime defensive choice and that there may be others by now. If you look around in your community, you might be able to find tapes on its use.

Then, there is also the Gunting, a new Spydie that was designed as a self defense device by a martial artist from Clearwater, Florida, named Bram ( arnisman@aol.com ) I cannot describe to you its various uses in self defense, but it is a very hot item on the Spyderco forum at BladeForums.com and in the knife dealers. Spydie also makes a red trainer for this knife and Bram puts out a training tape for it. Gunting is, apparently, a move in Philippino escrima, a knife art. You really have to hold one to believe it. It lists at about $140, but it has a blade of CPM440V, my favorite steel, and extra large G10 scales for a good grip and for varying grip possibilities. This all first-run quality stuff, which runs the price up.

Your choice, but, in many ways, either knife would be better than the Ladybug, as the Delica is easier to manipulate in the hand and the Gunting is a purpose-built defense device, at least IMHO.

------------------
Walk in the Light, Hugh
hughf_us@yahoo.com

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”