A tough cosmetic queen

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Lori

A tough cosmetic queen

Post by Lori »

<blockquote>Toughness... is not dependent on being crude or cruel. You can be feminine and tough. I love my femininity--as much as I rely on my toughness. What others call tough, I call persistent.</blockquote>
---Estée Lauder

Gender sure mangles the concept of "toughness" doesn't it? Yet a woman can be tough without the typically male stereotypes - if she has the inner strength not to get tied up in the female stereotypes attached to women who are "tough." Ever read that fax or email forward that talks about a man being strong in business is admirable and a woman who is the same is bitchy or other lovely attribute?

So why is it that the same quality gets distorted by gender - men are "passionate" when their emotions get the best of them - women are "irrational" or even worse. Even said sarcastically or in jest it's the double standard we all have to live with - as women we can balk and protest or just grin and get over it... consider the source so to speak! Image No slam intended guys - instead - it's a call for women to allow their persistence to be a quality they can admire at least in themselves - in spite of public opinion.

Celebrate the difference I've often said on this forum. Celebrate your toughness as well - in whatever fashion you choose to practice it. As women, we don't have to be crude or cruel to be tough - although the temptation is there because toughness is something probably generally accepted as a male attribute. Women can be tough - in a uniquely feminine way. The point is - to practice it. It's a mindset thing maybe - give up or stay in the fight till the end. Persistence or toughness or whatever label you choose - let go of the gender labels attached to the quality and follow your heart. With style. Create your own. Estée Lauder did.
Gilbert MacIntyre

A tough cosmetic queen

Post by Gilbert MacIntyre »

Couldn't agree more. I've been telling my daughters since they were babies the same thing.
Gilbert.
Allen M.

A tough cosmetic queen

Post by Allen M. »

The title of your post caught my attention, Lori, after I read this morning's news:

Some of you women really nail this "cosmetic queen" stuff seriously, eh?
http://www.cnn.com/2001/ASIANOW/east/01/04/hongkong.nails.reut/index.html

------------------
Allen Moulton from Uechi-ryu Etcetera
Lori

A tough cosmetic queen

Post by Lori »

Allen-san,

That's not tough! That's ridiculous! Image

Anybody care to add their own definition about what defines being tough?

I remember david-san writing on the creative forum once that adversity doesn't define the man - it's how he deals with it. Same applies to women - but what are some other definitions of "tough?"
Van Canna

A tough cosmetic queen

Post by Van Canna »

To some women freshly done nails are but a talisman to free sensuality from moralistic or parental inhibition. That is why “nails” are the equivalent of the “magnificent obsession”! Image

Some get tail-spun into a Stereotyped look, i.e., the woman just home from the salon, freshly done nails and make-up, therefore feminine. Image

However, this “mindset” diminishes the social construction of femininity because it places women in categories, destroying individuality and sensual freedom. Image

And __ The length, shape and color of women’s nails is also perceived differently by men. Each nuance sends a very powerful subliminal mating message. Image

Also very long nails, with their increased surface area makes them prone to trauma from bumps and bangs into very interesting obstacles. Image

Longer nails often need more coats of polish and a longer time to dry as well as making it harder to keep the polish spread smoothly on the nail surface.

Thus the longer the nails the more reluctance to flee a burning building. Image

Now Toe nails...well, a whole different story. Image

------------------
Van Canna
Allen M.

A tough cosmetic queen

Post by Allen M. »

Absolutely, right, Lori, toughness wasn't defined, rather to me, a new height of Vanity was.

Vanity unfair.

Toenails? Hide those toes, baby... Image
Lori

A tough cosmetic queen

Post by Lori »

Toenails? What's all this about toenails?

Besides - what use are toenails other than filed to sharp points - an enhancment to the sokusen in a well-targeted shomen geri - say - to the groin? Image
Van Canna

A tough cosmetic queen

Post by Van Canna »

Image Tulips and Toenails

Image Image Image

Any more questions?

------------------
Van Canna

[This message has been edited by Van Canna (edited January 07, 2001).]
Lori

A tough cosmetic queen

Post by Lori »

Hey - I like the gi. Think I'll adopt it as the new dress code for my dojo. Never liked having to change the patch on the gi top every couple years anyway. Tie dyed is definitely preferable to plain white - hides the bloodstains after we're done training with Tony-san!

[This message has been edited by Lori (edited January 07, 2001).]
david

A tough cosmetic queen

Post by david »

Whoa, check this out:

http://aolsvc.aol.com/ams/clickThruRedirect.adp?55023170,14001517,http://www.ew.com/r0/AOL/in?/ew/report/0,6595,91131,00.html

Not net fantasy gal, Lara Croft, but Jolie. Maybe she is a "tough cosmetic Queen."

david

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”