For Women Only

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Allen M.

For Women Only

Post by Allen M. »

The painful reality of self-defense
----------
by Razel Wolf
One woman struggles with the pros and cons of using a gun for
self-defense. (1/01) http://www.keepandbeararms.com/information/XcIBViewItem.asp?ID=1716

------------------
Allen Moulton from Uechi-ryu Etcetera
david

For Women Only

Post by david »

Allen,

Nice link. I found her story compelling.

There was a period in my life where I stopped doing martial arts altogether for the fear of becoming too violent. I wanted to believe that some of the issues of the world can addressed with non-violence. And, it can. But, there was a piece of me that has believed that there are forms of violence/evil that can only be stopped by violence. Those who can should and must take a stand. But it all felt conflicting.

I remember studying nonviolent movements in college. I was fascinated by Ghandi and wrote a term paper on him. I have great respect for this man and what he was able to achieve with nonviolent means. At the same time, I concluded that his way can only work with those who are rational and have some inkling of conscience and goodness in their heart. But what of the sociopath... the incarnation of evil, Hitler. Despite what the professor wanted to hear, I sadly concluded that Ghandi's way would not suffice against Hitler's Regime nor against the many unknown but no less violent/evil sociopaths who exist in the world.

Truthfully, there is a violence that exists in me. But, the conflict diminished when I realize that this violence is not necessarily evil. Rather it reflects a will to defend what I believe to be good and beautiful in the world against those would take it away by violence.

Good/evil, beauty/ugliness, or life/death for that matter aren't necessarily in conflict. They are parts of the whole and their interplay creates the world we experience.

I don't feel the parts of me in conflict. They are simply what makes me who I am.

david
david

For Women Only

Post by david »

Oh, sorry... The thread said, "for women only."

I take it all back. Image

david
Allen M.

For Women Only

Post by Allen M. »

Thank you for your response David. Don't take it back.

------------------
Allen Moulton from Uechi-ryu Etcetera
gmattson
Site Admin

For Women Only

Post by gmattson »

David:

The idea of dealing with violence in a non-violent manner is indeed complex. When I wrote (legal forum) about my two friends trying to remain non-violent and ending up getting hurt and being charged in the process, is not a good example of non-violent behavior paying off.

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”