Winterfest Visitors

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Lori

Winterfest Visitors

Post by Lori »

Unless you have not been on the forums in a while - you know that Florida is hosting Sensei Mattson's Winterfest... attracting teachers and students from near and far to the tourist capital of Orlando... lucky enough the hideous cold snap let up and the weather has been gorgeous...

But better than that is the opportunity to meet with fellow martial artists from out of town - and tonight through the courtesy and gracious hospitality of Tony-san who has been showing a few Winterfest attendees a fine Florida weekend - he also arranged to bring everyone over to my dojo for a workout tonight. It was a great pleasure to see david, Mary, and Lori M-D who I had met very briefly at summer camp - but had not had a chance to work with. Tonight our small group had a chance to train together - and I hope we will have the chance again soon!

Many thanks to david - who showed us some knife flow drills (thankfully Tony-san left me with two eyes!) and a couple other drills working with tenshin moves and keeping relaxed and centered - some coming out of Aikido that fit perfectly into Uechi-ryu. A distinct pleasure to work with someone I've come to know on the forums and who's posts I always enjoy. I'm also glad that after tearing the heavy bag's support chain right out of the beam with one of his blasts of power - that I can call him a friend! Image

Mary and Lori M-D - well - what can I say but it was great to see them again! Had to write a separate post on them!

Thanks again to Tony-san for hosting them - and for bringing them to the dojo. Two other dan ranks of my sensei, Curtis and Al (who led the mini-seminar on dan-kumite) also joined us and it was great to work with them too.

It was great to build another bridge across our style - too many bridges have been burned and broken in past years and political and other personality wars - small nights like tonight where people still just get together from different places and schools and work out together enjoying the art is really what it is all about.

Thanks to all of you!

[This message has been edited by Lori (edited January 20, 2001).]
david

Winterfest Visitors

Post by david »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote
small nights like tonight where people still just get together from different places and schools and work out together enjoying the art is really what it is all about.
Lori, Amen. I so enjoyed that Friday evening and the last day on the mat and the supper that followed. These are the exchanges that recharge me and break the isolation I feel about training sometime.

david

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”