womans self defense classes

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

turbotort2000

Post by turbotort2000 »

In the early 90's I belonged to an aikido/tae kwon do school while attending college. The aikido instructor was a woman named Marti who spent a lot of her time organizing and teaching woman's self defense classes to the university students. One time we went to a university that was 30 miles away and Marti taught a class. After the class Dan, who was the Tae Kwon Do instructor and I, got on an elevator to go to the first floor. On the elevator was a woman who had just attend the class. Dan went over to her in slow motion and simulated a front bear hug. Her reaction was to cross her arms in front of her chest and wince. Dan stopped and we go off on the first floor and drove back home.
I remember it though because even after successfully working the technique just 15 minutes prior to a mock-slow-motion attack in an elevator with a guy whose intentions she probably knew were not harmful the woman froze-up and was unable to do anything productive.
The questions I have now that I have babbled for a couple of parapgraphs is what experience do yall have with womans self-defense classes? Second, how do you handle the or teach or convey the stress the and fear that will come with an assult on a woman by a man. Third how do you priortize the curriculum for those classes? Last what is the difference between teaching a self defense class to a woman who studies martial arts and one who does not?
beckyhaworth

Post by beckyhaworth »

First things first....one class, no matter how long, will not change what someone has done for 20 years.

I believe that self-defense classes need to be an ongoing monthly class for women. They have to repeat what they learn or they will always go back to the most learned response.

The cirriculum should be one of basics....never teach non martial artists anything complicated. They won't practice the easy stuff, so you know they won't do the more difficult things.

If you get the chance to do more than one class with them, always review the prior class. Choose a couple of techniques that you really want them to be able to do and go through them every chance you get in the class.

Personally, I like finger locks. So I will always try to get them to do many different kinds of finger locks until they are comfortable with them.

Becky
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by beckyhaworth:
First things first....one class, no matter how long, will not change what someone has done for 20 years.

Becky
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Becky,

I have to disagree with you on this one. You can make changes very quickly if you are trained in the proper environment. I had the pleasure to take Bill Kipp’s FAST Defense (Fear Adrenaline Stress Training) classes. Also the dojo that I teach at offers this training on a regular basis. So I’ve had a chance to witness unbelievable ability develop from both men and woman regardless of previous martial arts experience from
Two, three-hour classes. The key is performing as instructed while in an adrenalized state and being able to throw basic striking techniques (gross motor only) full contact. This allows the defender to learn how to capitalize on the effects of the chemical cocktail and mentally imprinting reactions while adrenalized. Trust me on this one, you can practice in the dojo environment for 20 years and still freeze on a full-blown attack. Scenario training that includes woofing and an armored assailant attack is a must. It’s a real wakeup call for all participants. I’ve witnessed people that totally froze/breakdown during the first few attacks but by the end of the second day they were really able to kick a--.

Visit Bill’s web site www.fastdefense.com for more info. Find a dojo that offers this training or get Bill to come to your dojo. You will never think the same about self-defense again.

Alan Lowell
TSDguy

Post by TSDguy »

I agree most about training in the right way. My sister, with no training, took a class with the body-armour-guy as a test at the end. She had to walk through a dark house and at any unexpected time the body-armour-guy would jump out and attack. She wound up giving him a bloody nose THROUGH the huge helmet and then through him down the stairs before the guy managed to yell uncle. She's neither big nor, by any means, a natural fighter, so I think they did something right in that class. It was all pretty "high stress" training according to her.

Just going over a technique does absolutely postively nothing, IMHO. You gotta use it.
turbotort2000

Post by turbotort2000 »

Beckyhaworth,

Hey You! Don't leave us hanging. Tell us about some of those finger locks! Sounds like you feel motivation is a big problem for non-martial artist. I am going to further surmise that it is important to motivate them to see this as important. What ways have you seen to motivate woman that may work and what ideas do you have about motivating them to practice and retain the information presented. Also, have you ever taught a womans self defense class? If so tell us about it.

On a tangent got a story that you reminded me of. When I was in college I went home to Houston Texas for a couple of weeks to visit my father and brother. One of my brothers best friends was this woman named Shelly. When Shelly would come over I would talk her into practicing martial arts with my brother and I which she put up with because she was such a great gal. At one point she told me that some guy had fondled her breast and she didn't like it. I showed her a a finger lock where you put your hand over there hand--while it is on the breast and peel one of the fingers backwards while keeping their palm against your chest.
We worked on it for a while and she went home. Later when I was back in college, I found out that she had been at a party in Houston and had used the technique. She was at this party and was 1/2 sober and laying down on the couch. This guy seeing a golden opportunity layed on top of her and while pinning her to the couch in the middle of the party started playing with her breasts. She had the presence of mind to trap the hand to her breasts and bend a finger backwards. The result was the guy yelped in pain and she stood up keeping him in the fingerlock. When she was standing and he was kneeling and grimicing she let go his hand and he got up and ran out of the party. Shelly surmised that he ran out because he was embarrased by the incident.
turbotort2000

Post by turbotort2000 »

Alant,

I went to that website you posted and it is cool! Did you ever take the course yourself and if so tell us about it. I just realized while visiting that Peyton Quinn has a hand in this. He is one of my martial art heros! If anyone evergets the chance please read A bouncers guide to Barroom brawling by Peyton Quinn. It is by far, one of the most well thought out and presented books on the mental aspects of self defense. Also, I have his videos, defending against the blade, and Self-defense against the Sucker Puncher by Peyton Quinn. If you ever get a chance to view or buy these tapes please do they have been very helpful to me.

"chemical cocktail" good word.
Tony-San

Post by Tony-San »

TurboTort2K,

Do you have Gary Khoury's sparring video? It's really good. I used to have it but someone stole it from me.

Tony
david

Post by david »

Just want to point out self-defense goes beyond physical techniques. The main emphasis should be on awareness and avoidance, e.g. don't get drunk at a strange party where you don't know the folks.

When moving into techniques, nothing overly complicated for non martial artists. Strike, bite, scratch, stomp and always SCREAM all the way. This applies to men, women and kids.

Locks are relatively complicated. Some folks can get them on in REAL situations with the adrenaline fully pumping. But not many.

david
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by turbotort2000:
Alant,

Did you ever take the course yourself and if so tell us about it. I just realized while visiting that Peyton Quinn has a hand in this
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

turbotort2000

Yes I have completed two levels, basics and ground defense.

Only 5 striking techniques are taught:
1. palm heel
2. eye gouge
3. knee
4. elbow
5. groin slap

The reason only 5 striking techniques are taught is that this is all the brain can handle when adrenalized. They were taught with exaggerated length of stroke and use of hips (adrenaline stress will make them shorter). We also had to yell out the strike’s name when doing them so you wouldn’t hold your breath and it help you remember/program what to do under stress. All observers and the coach during the attack would reinforce what to do by yelling out the appropriate strike. Some people that have done this training and were attacked have reported hearing the coach and the support of the observers yelling “ palm, knee, knee” during the attack. We were encouraged to explode with full power strikes on the bulletman and not stop until he assumes the dead bug position on the floor and a whistle was blown. The bulletman would continue the attack until a series of solid shots landed. Two of the attacks we had to wait with our eyes closed for it to begin. This increased the adrenaline a notch or two. Several of us had the fun of getting a second round from another bulletman. The scenarios were somewhat prearranged but the woofing we had no idea what they were going to say or act like. The bulletman would charge at you, let haymakers fly, grab you, one threw a front kick at me and another took down the defender after he tried to kick. If you would break apart the woofing continued. We videotaped all the attacks for review afterwards. Some participants reported not remembering what they did until they saw the tape. Everyone experienced the effects of an adrenaline dump.

Bill Kipp is the head bulletman at RMCAT. . Being a good bulletman takes training too. The dojo owner where I teach my classes purchased four bulletman suits and was personally trained by Bill Kipp how to be a bulletman. Bill has been in over 30,000 bulletman attacks over the years.

This training is awesome and I highly recommend it! Get to a dojo that offers the courses, get Bill Kipp to your dojo or go to RMCAT. You’ll never think about self-defense the same afterwards.

Alan Lowell
turbotort2000

Post by turbotort2000 »

Tony-San,

Who is Gary Khoury's? Does he have a website? Hope you get your tapes back!
turbotort2000

Post by turbotort2000 »

Alant,

Wow sounds like fun! Gotta wonder about the poor guy in the suit though. I bet it is easy to get carried away! I do have a follow-up question for you though. On the second course you called ground defense do they still teach the stikes or are ground skills like bridging rolling, spinning and "turtling" (getting on all fours) taught?

Post by Guest »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by turbotort2000:
Tony-San,

Who is Gary Khoury's? Does he have a website? Hope you get your tapes back!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
http://www.khouryskarate.com/
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

AlanL,

Wow sounds like fun! Gotta wonder about the poor guy in the suit though. I bet it is easy to get carried away! I do have a follow-up question for you though. On the second course you called ground defense do they still teach the stikes or are ground skills like bridging rolling, spinning and "turtling" (getting on all fours) taught?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gound defense basics works on three scenarios;

Lying on your back and being mounted/attacked

Lying on your stomach and being mounted/attacked

Being on all fours and being mounted/attacked

Yes bacsic escape techniques you describe are used but it gets primal really fast. Once you've escaped the knee and hand strikes fly. These attacks don't last to long, but you become very adrenalized.

The bulletman suit is very well designed to take full power blows. A coach keeps things under control and blows a whistle for you to stop when the bulletman assumes the dead bug position.

Alan
beckyhaworth

Post by beckyhaworth »

Hey Turbotort2000....

I practice finger locks almost every class period with my students....I really push them on the girls in the class because they can be sooooo effective!!

They key to a good finger lock is the small circle (Small Circle Jujitsu by Wally Jay). You can use your body like you talked about or you can use constant pressure and moving them to pin them down or take them out if you have more than one attacker.

It's hard to describe a "good" finger lock on here so I will try to video tape one in class tonight.

Becky
turbotort2000

Post by turbotort2000 »

beckyhaworth,

Is that your martial arts background? Small Circle Jujitsu?

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”