FAST - Scenario Groundfighting

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

Yesterday was an awsome experience.

Credit where credit is due:

Mike Snisky & Eastern Defensive Arts Academy http://www.edatkd.com

Ran a great program. You start on your belly, on your back or on your hands & knees. You are then grabbed & assulted by the bulletmen.

You end up in all those awkard positions you don't think you can fight from - and you have to fight from them.

You lose your balance, it doesn't look pretty, and yes sometimes (omigod) you MISS.

It is not a great feeling to begin the fight when you're at such a disadvantage. But it is a powerful tool to train the that you WILL FIGHT no matter how dismal the odds.

I've spent more money on a good dinner than I spent on this seminar -- and a good dinner will not save my life. But this stuff might.

check it out for yourself.

Dana

[This message has been edited by Dana Sheets (edited July 02, 2002).]
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

Dana gets a second bulletman. Yes he is tackling her!

A well placed palm heel strike!

Who says Uechi people can't kick to the head!

Heather getting multiple attacks.

What an awesome day it was!

Alan

[This message has been edited by AlanL (edited June 30, 2002).]

Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

Thanks for the photos Alan!!!

It was great seeing you a & your group & training together again.

The ground stuff is definitely less pretty than standing.

I'm still sore.
Dana

[This message has been edited by Dana Sheets (edited July 01, 2002).]
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

Hey Dana,

Glad you and Heather could come up early and train with us. Thanks for sharing the power thrust generated from the hips.

I called Don to ask if his bicepts were sore or was it just me. That little extra twist of the hand must have done it!

I hope more people give the FAST Defense a try. We just can't get this type of training on the dojo floor.

I can wait for the multiples weekend! Two and Three attackes at once! This will really be intense.

I hope we can convince a few more people that it's a differnt world when the chemical cocktail kicks in and that training for what will happen needs to be addressed and not ignored. This training is not a threat to our traditional Uechi-Ryu, it will only help us find and use the power our training brings to us.

Both you and Heather deserve a lot of credit for stepping up and giving this a try!

Be well,

Alan
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

Hey Alan,

You know, one of the reasons I posted that link to Erle Montaigue's book on "reflex violence" is because of the ground work.

If a rapist is attacking you in your bed - reason must go out the window. You need to be able to become an animal & stay at the top of the food chain.

Humans could be considered apex predators (none above them in the food chain) if it weren't for other humans.

If you stay in your "thinking" brain when you get attacked you're going to freeze up. The thinking brain is not your fighting brain. The fighting, reptile, brain is the one that is going to save you. But if you've never had to get down there to your inner animal and use it you may not be able to when the time comes.

The FAST training takes you down to your reptile brain. The EAT or BE EATEN part of us that controls the basic functions in our bodies and our most basic will to survive.

I have never been in a real streetfight. I was raise to be "nice" and so far it's worked. But if I hadn't done this scenario training I would have a very false sense of security. I still haven't been in a real fight - the bulletmen aren't going to kill me.

But believe me, when they grabbed me & mounted me from behind I became an animal fighting to get free & get out alive that I've never had to become in kumite situation.

Kumite is partner training - you both learn.

FAST defense is self-training -- you learn what you need to become in order to survive.

Dana

[This message has been edited by Dana Sheets (edited July 02, 2002).]
Tony-San

Post by Tony-San »

That looks like alot of fun!
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Dana and Heather,

My respect for you two has increased a thousand folds.

I will be reviewing the CD's of the previous and last scenarios for discussion soon. Have been swamped by a new venture, so sorry for the delay.

You are providing the Uechi commmunity at large, men and women, with ground breaking insights into adrenal stress conditioning, something many traditional practioners still scoff at believing that it is all built in the Kata.

Great stuff. That plus the new life you injected in the woman's forum is something I admire you for greatly, Dana.

------------------
Van Canna
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Van Canna:
Dana and Heather,

My respect for you two has increased a thousand folds.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It will increase another thousand after you see the CD!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>You are providing the Uechi commmunity at large, men and women, with ground breaking insights into adrenal stress conditioning, something many traditional practioners still scoff at believing that it is all built in the Kata.

Great stuff. [/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dana:

I have never been in a real streetfight. I was raise to be "nice" and so far it's worked. But if I hadn't done this scenario training I would have a very false sense of security. I still haven't been in a real fight - the bulletmen aren't going to kill me.

But believe me, when they grabbed me & mounted me from behind I became an animal fighting to get free & get out alive that I've never had to become in kumite situation. [/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What Dana and Van hits on I think is a key point on this training and a hard on to grasp until you've done it. You know the bulletmen aren't going to hurt you when the scenario begins. But when the adrenaline kicks in these encounters turn very real. The physical and emotional impacts of the after effects on the participants is obvious. The adrenaline clicks you into the survival mode and that's when the brain perceives these attacks as real. You can see it in the participants faces when the cocktail kicks in. It's the bulletmen's job to know how to flip the switch and then attack.

Another very unique thing that happens is the emotional bond that the group of participants develop during the seminar. Bill Kipp said it's like surviving a train wreck together.

Alan

[This message has been edited by AlanL (edited July 03, 2002).]
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dana Sheets:
The question asked before how uechi technique holds up under stress. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For me both knee strikes from seisan and the sanchin thrust using the palm heel instead of a nukite really get the job done and felt very Uechi.

Alan
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

The question asked before how uechi technique holds up under stress.

Well one of the best Uechi moments for me was when I was able to execute a swift, balanced and tight sanchin turn to move from one attacker to the next. I don't know if I did this during the ground fight, but I know I did one during basics.

When you've "killed" a bulltetman they cover up & freeze on the ground. Then you're supposed to look around for other threats. Many of the other participants would lose their balance as they turned so if another threat did come - they were already almost falling over.

I remember being very pleased in basics that the instant I turned around to look for trouble I felt like I had my feet & my center underneath me. It was very comforting in the stress of the moment.

Plus you can do a sanchin turn WICKED FAST under adrenaline.

dana

[This message has been edited by Dana Sheets (edited July 03, 2002).]
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

Thanks Van.

And I want to embarass Heather by saying that she was a little reluctant to sign up for the first basics course...and now SHE's pushing ME to sign up for weapons course. How awesome is that?

I can't stress enough that this is not something you can just try to do with your students without training. I mean - a few years ago you would have had to because there was nothing out there to guide you. Now there are several programs that have been researching and looking into this stuff for the last 10 years. Tony Blauer, Bill Kipp, Peyton Quinn, Mrs. Ruthless, -- are working to figure it out.

So rather than trying to start from scratch and risk lots of horrible mistakes in the dojo -- I'd STRONGLY encourage students and teachers to go seek out the professionals already doing this. If, once you've experienced what they do, you feel you can improve upon it -- go for it.

But don't try this alone with no training. Just don't. You could do a lot more harm than good. Go out and try one of the seminars. Then come back and tell us all what you think.

If we think we could eventually develop an adrenal stress training system with more of a Uechi Focus that Bill Kipp already did - then we could. But I think that FAST Defense is already close enough. No you can't get a cartiod sinus knock out, no you can't grab and twist the painful parts of the body. You're only throwing power shots.

But it's kind of like learning to carve on stone. You keep to be able to knock off the big chunks of rock before you start worrying about the little details.

FAST Defense Basics teaches:
1) Palm heel strike to the head
2) knee strike to the groin
3) knee strike to the head
4) eye poke
5) rear elbow to the head

Seisan anyone? I know I've got a little more conviction in my kata practice these days.

Dana
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

bump for Mike D.
Did you show compassion today?

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”