Ladies Okinawan Tour in 2004

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

Time to talk about money.

If some women are going to attend, they are going to need some fundraising help. Perhaps your dojo can hold a car wash (next summer), have a kick-a-thon, a break-a-thon, or some other means to generate funds. Perhaps you can approach local businesses and ask that they support you on the cultural exchange, and then you can offer yourself to schools to give a presentation on the trip.

Maybe you can hook up with the Asian Studies department at a local university.

Remember that money is a huge barrier if you just sit there and hope that it will come your way. You can't raise what you don't ask for.

So I encourage the women of Uechi to get out there and start asking. If anyone has suggestions or viable contacts to follow up on please email me.

I also call on the teachers of Uechi to encourage all women to participate in this trip, to encourage your women in your school to go, and to help them fundraise.

GEM - could you please mention the trip in the November Newsletter?

Dana
dmsdc@yahoo.com
gmattson
Site Admin

Post by gmattson »

Dana:

Will do.

------------------
GEM
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

Thanks George!

I'm going to mention the trip at our upcoming Mid-Atlantic Regional Workout on Saturday.

Everyone who has a newsletter -- please add Peggy's trip as an article. Help get the work out!

Dana
mbenedict

Post by mbenedict »

I just joined this msg group. I am participating in the Okinawa tour. Peggy recently stayed with my husband and I while she visited our dojo. Are there many from your group participating? Where are most of you located? What dojo do you train from?
Tony-San

Post by Tony-San »

Just got this in email, Here is the logo for the womens tour:

Astonishing graphic!
Dana Sheets

Deposits & Resumes are due

Post by Dana Sheets »

Hello everyone,

This is a reminder that deposits and bios/resumes were due YESTERDAY to the identified email & mailing addresses.

So ladies - if you want to secure your spot on the trip, it's time to get your information and desposts in!

If you don't have the information on how to send your deposit and submit your bio/resume, please email me at dmsdc@yahoo.com and I can forward you the email from Peggy.

Remember - keep hoping & saving! Even if you don't think you have the money -- there is still time and there is lots of support out there. Get your deposit in and hold your place.

Peggy is going to limit the number of women who can go soon. So if you don't get your deposit in, you may miss out on the trip of a lifetime!!!

Dana
Kunoichi

Post by Kunoichi »

:(
Unfortunately something personal has come up and I cannot join the Ladies this time around. It is with my deepest regret that I must bow out. I cannot begin to tell you how this saddens me. This is such a terrific opportunity to train with the best. I hope you know I am there with you in spirit and wish you all the best. Go get em gals!
Deb Downing
RachelL

taking shape

Post by RachelL »

I heard that the ladies tour to Okinawa is really taking shape. If you are considering joining the group make sure you go back in this thread and read what was posted.
Contact Peggy Hess at the email address listed for recent updates. Those of you who are still in the maybe stage should look a little deeper into what is going to take place. This is going to be the trip of all trips as well as a historical event for woman in Uechi karate.
Think of all those times in your life when you said, I should have done that. This will be one of them if you miss it.
Woulda, coulda, shoulda
RachelL

Congratulations Canada

Post by RachelL »

Wow, the ladies up in Canada took the bull by the horns and showed that a fundraising event can happen. I bet this was just the beginning for them. This just shows that if you put your mind to doing something ..it can be done! They are one step closer to Okinawa.

Here is a notice that just recently came in.
===quote===
Hello everyone from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. I promised to let you know how our Okinawa Dreams silent auction fundraiser went on Jan 25th. I'm pleased to share that it was a success.

Earlier in the week we were panicking for a number of reasons- fabulous
interest but a bad weekend for the majority of people who definitely would
have attended if possible; horrible weather all week with wind, snow and
ice. Temperatures hovered around the -25 to -30 degree celcius range.. and
that's without the dreaded windchill factors that took us down much further.
Despite this, 45 people braved the elements to come come out and support us.

They were rewarded with a good time and great deals. Sensei spoke for a few minutes about personal safety and self defence, we did a mini demo and our black belt guys served food and healthy drinks. We had 102 wonderful items donated for the silent auction- pairs of NHL hockey tickets, handblown glass, artwork, handcrafted pottery and boxes, books, an array of wonderful gift certificates, vests, etc.

At the end of the evening all 102 donated items had new homes and we made approximately $1900 Cdn. A success by any standard!

The only rude awakening we got is how low the Canadian dollar is currently
trading (approx $.56 US)- ouch!

If anyone is considering this kind of venture, it sure worked well for us.
I'd be happy to share any information on how we went about this, if that
would help.

Until later...
Susan
===end====

Keep in mind that February is here and the February deposit of $500.00 is due. Peggy is making it as easy as possible for everyone to save for this trip with this payment schedule. Don't forget to contact her if you have any questions.
Gene DeMambro

Post by Gene DeMambro »

Has the trip happened yet? Did any of you folks go? How as it?

Gene
Dana Sheets

Not yet

Post by Dana Sheets »

The trip is planned for April 2004. Peggy and Jack are over in Okinawa right now (I think) putting together more good will for the good will tour.

I hope all the dojo with women signed up for the trip are helping them with the cost. This will be historical - there are plans for the photo/biographical sketch book with profiles and pictures of the women along with an account of the trip. There is already a website...lots and lots of work is being done but lots remains so please support those signed up!

Dana

Post by Guest »

*bump*

*Preserve*

Post by Guest »

This and the Journal are great threads. I've printed them for my research notebooks just as I did the Van Camp posts on Uechi Hiearchy and Uechi History. I loved the first person accounts of the training sessions and the descriptions of the various dojo. The Shiatsu message testing procedures for Sanchin was priceless. "All is in Sanchin." If only the Sensei could tune up one's chakras all would be well :)

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”