Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:31 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:40 pm 

Hello Everyone,

thanks to all those who have made this site what it is. I've been browsing for a couple of days and have found usefull, interesting and often challenging material here. What a great community - I'm thrilled to be part of it!

Here's a little about me: I'm a student of David Mott, Toronto; I rated Shodan in 1993 (26 yrs old) then moved to London, ON where I continued training (and leading a study group with the help of Terry Sicular - a GEM student from Boston); I rated Nidan in 1996 then in 1999 life got complex and I lost my way.

About two years ago I returned to training with David (I still live in London) and I began training also at a Shorin-Ryu Dojo in my neighbourhood. I'm already coming up for Dan testing in Shorin-Ryu and they allow me to teach a three hour Uechi class on Sunday mornings.

I look forward to advancing (and sharing) in Uechi again - like others who have written in this forum it tugged at my soul while I was off.

Also, years ago I lost track of two people whom I miss. Does anyone out there know how I could reach Bruce Hirobayashi (Renshi?) or Bill Richards (Edmonton, AB?)

Many thanks,

Chris McKaskell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:49 pm 

Hi Chris,

Welcome (or welcome back?) to the community.

Which shorin-ryu organization are you with currently?

And are you coming to camp with the Canadian contingence :)

ciao,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:48 pm 

Wow, politics can certainly make an answer to a simple question quite complex.

I wanted to make sure I had the correct information so I asked the cheif instructor about the organization governing the style of Shorin-Ryu we are studying and I got a much, much longer answer than I expected!

Suffice to say that this dojo draws from Shorinji and Wadokai and is ultimately governed by The W.K.F.

Regarding Summerfest; sadly no, I am unable to attend this year, but have every intention of making it out in 2008.

Thanks for the welcome.