From Tampa

New members and old members are invited to introduce (or re-introduce) themselves to the community.

Moderator: Available

jim53

From Tampa

Post by jim53 »

Have lurked for a few days, but had my first class tonight, so feel I can now post my introduction. Have not had a karate class in 8 years or so, and stopped running about 3 or 4 years ago, so my goal was not to pass out. It will be a long road back, but I think I will enjoy it.
Just glad to see a traditional style dojo open close to where I work. I'm sure I will get plenty of good info from this forum.

jim
mhosea

Re: From Tampa

Post by mhosea »

jim53 wrote:so my goal was not to pass out.
I've had that goal before. :)
Mike
gmattson
Site Admin

Welcome to the forums Jim

Post by gmattson »

And good luck with your training.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
mikex1337

Post by mikex1337 »

It takes a lot of discipline and motivation to get back into the arts. Good luck and keep us updated.
jim53

Post by jim53 »

It seems to be much harder than I anticipated.
My last class left me so bruised, battered, and just plain gassed, I had not recovered enough for the next two classes.
I skipped monday because I was just not motivated enough to have it happen again, so now I have not trained in a week.
In retrospect, maybe I should have spent 6 to 8 weeks just running again, and building up a some sort of a base. I will go tonight, and try to run on the nights I don't train.
I know the 90+ temps don't help (no AC in dojo).
Chris McKaskell

Post by Chris McKaskell »

It seems to be much harder than I anticipated.
OOOF - I feel for you. It is tough getting back into it - tough to remember that while you are the same person you have always been, you are not the same person you were back then. :?

I found I had to learn to be something completely new, or I would get caught up in dissappointment and guilt - dissappointed that I can't do things the way I used to and guilt that I stopped when I did. :(
I skipped monday because I was just not motivated enough to have it happen again, so now I have not trained in a week.
Go slow, go steady, but do go - and remember the most important workouts are the ones you really don't feel like going to - my experience has been these are often the best classes! :D
My last class left me so bruised, battered, and just plain gassed, I had not recovered enough for the next two classes.
And if the other students are going too hard on you let them know! You want to be challenged not hurt, and too much conditioning too soon is no good. :cry:
It will be a long road back
Yep, but it does come back 8) - and quicker than it seems at first. Be patient with yourself and hang in there! :wink: 8)
Chris
Chris H.

Post by Chris H. »

Welcome Jim, which Dojo are you woking out in?
jim53

Post by jim53 »

I joined the Tampa dojo, which is on Fletcher Ave.
It has been open about 2 months now. Run by Reza Taher.
I'm still hanging in there, don't dread going to class as much as I did the first week. Tough class, good teacher,I know I will enjoy it once I get in decent shape.
Chris H.

Post by Chris H. »

Sensei Reza is an excellent teacher. I worked out with him a few times in Sensei Washington's Dojo located in Seffner. I hope to get backinto soon myself, I have been out a while since my second knee surgury last year. Keep at it, Sensei Reza will have you whipped into shape in no time.

Return to “Member Introductions”