Good to see how far Uechi has come!

New members and old members are invited to introduce (or re-introduce) themselves to the community.

Moderator: Available

Ed Poitras

Good to see how far Uechi has come!

Post by Ed Poitras »

I've been away from Uechi for about 20 years now and am very pleased to see all the new students and interested parties that have become part of our family. I first started studying Uechiryu under Ted Kresge in 1969 and recieved my shodan under him. I stayed till 1975 when I left. I have to thank Ted Kresge for what he instilled in me: The code of Bushido, self confidence, and the fighting skill to make me the man I am today.
My second Sensei was Jack Daley and I spent 2 years with him trying to get Uechi in place in the North Orlando area but it did not work out but with 4 or 5 different locations tried it is not like he wasn't really trying. I did however recieve my Nidan under his tutelage and some deeper understanding of the mechanics of Uechi and how to use the body motion to get better striking ability. I enjoyed working with Jack and hope to speak with him again.
I had a construction accident in '80 that put me in the hospital and about 1 1/2 years of rehab and retraining. This left me with the inability to practice for a number of years. After one of my surgeries I started to practice again out of frustration with the results the doctors were giving me. I always remembered that the system was rooted in health exercises and it brought me out of the physical funk I was in.
In 2004 I had my arm (what was left if it) give out and had to have a full elbow replacement done which left me in severe pain and under Methadone treatment for about 4 years. I finally lost my last job and went on SS retiring from employment. I am now just starting to exercise again and hope the workouts will help strengthen my arm. I am taking it very slowly and taking my time working into a program.
Good luck to all that are starting the Uechiryu system- I believe it to be one of the best systems in the world today and after reading the vast library of Ted's I have some authority to say that. By the way does anyone know who got that collection?
To Know and Not Do is in fact Not To Know.
E.
gmattson
Site Admin

Re: Good to see how far Uechi has come!

Post by gmattson »

What an inspirational post Ed. You certainly had an interesting life, filled with lots of challenges.

The nice thing about Uechi-ryu, is that it can be practiced in many different ways and by people with physical limitations. I've heard from many people who have benefited from Uechi-ryu. . . most notable is our Bill Bauchnect, who credits his training and ability to practice during his battle with cancer as one of the major reason he survived and remains active. Interestingly, Bill is going up for his 8th degree black belt at this year's SummerFest!

Stay in touch Ed and if you still live in the Orlando area, plan to visit and work out with the Mount Dora, FL group.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"

Return to “Member Introductions”