Wauke

Uechi-Ryu has 8 kata. Kata is a Japanese word for formal exercise.

Moderator: Available

Van Canna

Wauke

Post by Van Canna »

Van,
Someone who is practicing all the kata through Sanseiloue, (probably Yondan and up)
should try to do without Master Uechi's "training wheels" for Wa-uke practice. (the basic training he taught of posting the upper hand/arm against the arm that descibes the full circle)

That was his idea (and an excellent drill) to keep the Wa-uke circle coming principally from the elbow not the shoulder and to restrict the diameter and thereby increase the speed of the circle.

What that drill produces is a small circle/oval , (performed by the elbow), within a larger circle/oval (performed by the hand and forearm ) all the while minimizing the exposure of the rib cage in terms of duration and size of the opening.

After ten years or so of practice, Master Takara's opinion is at Yondan, we should have the ability to perform the block correctly without needing the upper hand /arm to restrict the circular motion of the lower arm.

At that point, the wa-uke in all kata, including Sanchin, is seen as a closed circle, beginning and ending at the same point. I relate it to the numerals on a clock face. Looking at a student front on, the right Wa-uke starts and ends at 9 o'clock (counterclockwise) and the left at 3 o'clock (clockwise).

In Seichin, Kanshin and Sanseiloue, the blocks start at the same point as in the full Wa-uke, but, the circle terminates at roughly the half circle point as the opponents kick starts to be lifted vertically and you move your elbow out of Sanchin to keep his toes from reaching your chest.

I hope this is understandable! If not, let's talk some more.

Wally
Van
Topos

Walter's Insight

Post by Topos »

During the last 46 years of practicing the circular block as a Non-Student the clarity of Walter's directions evolved almost. inevitably ..perhaps out of sheer 'laziness'. or a feeling that the continuous combined flow was more 'comfortable'.

Some 25 years ago I saw a demonstration in California of a Chinese Master performing at the beginning of his Kata a series of circular blocks in a most powerful, effortless fashion and at a blinding speed.

Because of my idetic memory I closed my eyes and 'thoughtlessly'
(a state that I have perfected over my lifetime [grin]) replayed the complex starting blocks.

To my surprise I 'felt them' through replaying them in my head and they deciphrered into the opening blocks of Sanseiryu done first as in the Uechi Kata and then flowing into the mirror image copy. Yin/Yang.

It took a long while to practice the two but of course I have never attained the speed or power of what I had been privliged to witness.

Though there might be some Biblical prohibiition of practicing Bunkai with one's self [grin++++] may I share a novelty I developed for myself.

Having an old Victorian house with hallways and multiple openings to the different rooms, when I am walking through the house I randomly start performing a Kata (e.g., Sanseiryu). The confines and random restrictions introduced by say the hallways ( bring a delicious hindering to the movements requiring modification to the new setting) turning into a room I may be next passing while imagining an opponent emerging certainly has added some realism and 'game' excitement.. It never is the same and it is amazing how even in restricted quarters the truncated movements hold and 'work'.

My son, in his wonderfully irreverant way, has said that he pitys any invader coming into the house at night, but would I be at a loss defending myself in his Boston Condo with long open spaces? [Hurummpf!!!. (grin)]

I also perform the Kata with a different Randall Knife or two - but like procupines copulating >>VERY CAREFULLY<<.

GEM said so wisely in 1960 that if one performs the Kata long enough new insights and techniques would naturally reveal themselves. His wisdom still amazes me. Thanks, George.

Wonderful day.
emattson

Re: Wauke

Post by emattson »

True that practicing in a confined house is different than a spacious dojo. When doing basic Sanchin movements, I need to keep a good situation awareness to avoid bumping into furniture in the small rooms. It may work as good practice because in a real fight, you may be surrounded by clutter, trip hazards, other people, and so on.
Erik

“Old minds are like old horses; you must exercise them if you wish to keep them in working order.”
- John Adams

Return to “Kata (All about Uechi Kata)”