Sanchin: Mental Visualizations During Resistance Training

Uechi-Ryu has 8 kata. Kata is a Japanese word for formal exercise.

Moderator: Available

Dana Sheets

Sanchin: Mental Visualizations During Resistance Training

Post by Dana Sheets »

Hello everyone,
I created the video linked below to share some of my current thoughts on one way to use the mind and the breath when doing what some people call a "hard" sanchin training. (I did the video in one take so please excuse any small mistakes. It is kind of hard to show this training while talking about it.)

I think the resistance method I show should be similar to what's done in the kata tensho and what is sometimes called "iron wire" training in the Chinese martial arts traditions.

What I didn't cover in the video is that the mental imagery should be done first without moving until you're able to hold the imagery in your mind and coordinate your breathing and body. Once you can do that then it is OK to try to start moving.

At first, the mental imagery should be for very light resistance so that you don't over-tighten the body. Over time as your coordination improves, you can imagine more and more resistance. Always keep an eye on yourself so that you are recruiting the whole body evenly and not tightening up inside your joints. Don't get me wrong, you'll definitely feel it in your joints, but you don't want any of them seized up or braced. Again, you want the whole body to be recruited evenly into every movement. That means you want to avoid focusing on tightening just one part of the body--in my way of thinking.

Feedback and questions welcome!

PS: The principle of the training approach is not my creation. Specific mental visualizations were and remain a common part of developmental training martial arts with Chinese or Japanese roots. The video is my attempt to make the training approach accessible and understandable to as many people as possible.

https://youtu.be/i3AcOEMrMsY?si=NErB6dz4fr4BGunh

Dana
wkadojo.com
emattson

Re: Sanchin: Mental Visualizations During Resistance Training

Post by emattson »

Watched the video. Great teaching. I'm the "let's imagine" type and can see the advantage as it's available instantly at any time for training. In my opinion, real life experience is gold. Walking in soft sand in the water with fast waves gives experience in resistance with shoving forces. I often see people walking through the ocean's shallows for exercise. I take pride in being able to stand on one foot for over a minute. During the frigid winters, I wear multiple layers and walk in deep snow to work out. It can be hard moving with three layers of pants, countless layers of shirt, sweaters, coats. They're heavy too.
Erik

“Old minds are like old horses; you must exercise them if you wish to keep them in working order.”
- John Adams
emattson

Post by emattson »

Many articles are written about Olympic athletes using visualization or mental rehearsal to improve their performance. They may mentally practice their performance, or review their moves multiple times, picturing what happens a million times so they don't need to think about it when performing in front of the judges. They may use visualization to help with their self-confidence.

Athletes may visualize what they see or what they feel. Peer J, a reputable peer reviewed journal has a good article on Imagery ability of elite level athletes.
https://peerj.com/articles/6940/

Association for Applied Sport Psychology has a great article on Sport Imagery Training
https://appliedsportpsych.org/resources ... -training/
Erik

“Old minds are like old horses; you must exercise them if you wish to keep them in working order.”
- John Adams
sorenlan

Post by sorenlan »

I agree with Erik that both mental visualization and real-life experience can be valuable tools for improving resistance training performance. Mental visualization allows you to practice movements and techniques in your mind, which can help you develop muscle memory and improve your coordination. It can also be helpful for reducing anxiety and boosting your self-confidence. Association for Applied Sport Psychology has a great article on Sport Imagery Training https://appliedsportpsych.org/resources Real-life experience, on the other hand, can help you develop your proprioception (the sense of your body's position in space) and your ability to adapt to different conditions.

Return to “Kata (All about Uechi Kata)”