Kyu Kumite

gjkhoury

Kyu Kumite

Post by gjkhoury »

Tim, Bill, et.,al.:

Great thread! Wish I had longer to respond.

One thing, Tim: Did you mention that you "slept" during part of my seminar?!

You will pay for that comment, sir! Image

Keep training -- and posting! I'll check back tomorrow.

Gary
JohnC

Kyu Kumite

Post by JohnC »

I'm remembering a class with just 2 of us and the head instructor basically spent about 1 hour in nothing but kyu kumite. He helped us focus on intent and power, rather than the typical "here we go again" routine.
After class, I had forearms rainbowed like super koteckiti. I was totally exhausted and my intensity and mindset levels had skyrocketed through this easily overlooked humble exercise!

I'm not sure if I can explain this right, but essentially the point was that kyu kumite is intended to teach the student to move and parry without ever fully retreating. When we defend and double step, etc. we are not bailing, but we are learning how to deflect the attack while sticking and staying on the offense. It's a hard concept to perfect and to explain. If anyone feels that kyu kumite is "retreating" then perhaps it should be retooled. It's moving just enough without a "whoa" retreat, so you can still go in and get some with extreme prejudice and not some lame strike from a bailed out retreat at the back of the dojo. Yet, we are learning enough about the wisdom of yielding a little to gain the upper hand. It is in fact not retreating as we think of it.

Well, as to some of the other points, a double wauke block against the grain is very ackward, but again this is like kata in that it is a template to give us the tools in their more classic full state. No way in real time at 1/4 to 1/2 second punches could we pull off 1 let alone 2 full fledged complete wauke blocks without getting tagged at least once. But it's the universal defense/block that can cover anything and everything. So it's in there. We are taught that the wauke can be abbreviated in real time scenarios.

Well, you know, the okinawans and japanese were supposedly punching at armored warriors with bamboo vests and the like. I guess the chambering teaches the concept of maximum power to get enough impact through such medium, plus the old ledend saying of "one punch, one kill" which sort of addresses the lack of the 8 punch flurry in kk as well.

As far as the lame choregraphing, I think it helps novices who need a step by step kinda initiation with endless repetition until one day they realize they can parry and strike with more natural stuff.

Actually, kyu kumite is vastly underrated and can be an awesome training tool.

Just my "kyu" cents worth.

JohnC
Tim Ahearn

Kyu Kumite

Post by Tim Ahearn »

One thing, Tim: Did you mention that you "slept" during part of my seminar?!

Oh yeah, I'm surprised you didn't see me; I was the one sprawled out on the ground (and drooling). Image Who would've thought a grassy field with the hot sun bearing down on me, with karateka occassionally stepping on me, with 30+ kiais resounding in my ear, would be so comfortable?

- Tim

(I actually remember quite well what Bill is refering to.)
Shelly King

Kyu Kumite

Post by Shelly King »

Ahhhh...JD-san...so nice to have you back...Of course if this is ever repeated, I'll deny every word of it...I've missed you.

Anyway...chambering. I made the unfortunate mistake of chambering a punch during my first time doing kumite. And yes, I had picked it up from doing kyu kumite...however, it was a one time mistake and easily corrected. I think the biggest benefit of chambering the punches during kyu kumite, besides learning body mechanics and power, is having something to do with the free arm. It helps get you in the habit of paying attention to what ALL your limbs are doing ALL the time(ie prevent the dangling arm syndrome)...like how everyone starts out by looking at their feet to see if they are in sanchin but then later on they don't have to because they begin to get the feel of what a good sanchin feels like. EEEEEKKKKK...late for a meeting.

Sorry an add on: In a couple of different places I've heard people mention something about a count...please enlighten...not sure what you are talking about.

------------------
Shelly

[This message has been edited by Shelly King (edited 12-14-99).]

Return to “Kyohon - Kumite (K-drills to Full Contact)”