Superior conditioning... You may need

Moderator: Available

gmattson
Site Admin

Superior conditioning... You may need

Post by gmattson »

"Athleticism". . .
Developed by working on:

Flexibility, speed, power, strength, agility, Reaction, ambidexterity, whole brain thinking, balance and the ability to defy gravity.

At this year's SummerFest, Kevin Guse gave me a copy of a DVD he helped create, called "Athletic Excellence Total Training." I promised to review this DVD and discuss it on the forums, but like the Musashi book review that took a year to do, this DVD didn't surface on my desk until last week.

I'm hoping that Kevin and Bill Glasheen will help out in describing the contents of this program and some of the interesting exercises and drills that might be of interest to the martial art community. Unlike most programs, these exercises and drills use simple and easily constructed tools, costing very little money.

To order the dvd or view some more detailed information, please go to http://www.britathletex.com .
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
Kevin Guse

Great Program

Post by Kevin Guse »

I know readers might think I am biased supporting this program b/c I helped a little with it's production but I don't gain a thing from people buying it besides the satisfaction of knowing if they use it correctly the results have no limit.

This program can enhance anyone’s Uechi ability no matter what level or experience they are or have. Please don't think that this was designed for Uechi or any other sport alone. It can be applied to any sport and actually to improving many aspects of you daily life. I hope that many people will be willing to get a copy and start training with this program so that they can see the benefits and also so we can get some discussions going on the forum.

Like Sensei Mattson said this program covers many aspects that develop athleticism including but not limited to Flexibility, speed, power, strength, agility, Reaction, ambidexterity, whole brain thinking, balance and the ability to defy gravity.

I know what some of you might be thinking How is this different from any other program that works on these skills or that you know all about that stuff. You may written a book on one of these skills but this program is special and you will learn something new and useful.

Please if anyone has questions or comments let me know. I am very excited to see what people think and help out! :D

Kevin
Uechi Dude

Post by Uechi Dude »

I havent tried it nor ordered it yet. I am a Nidan In Uechi Ryu...yet in Jan of 2004 I had a serious auto accident .... It has not stopped my training nor will I allow that to happen...but I do have multiple herniated disks cervical and lumbar....I am in pain all of the time but I expect no less...it is hard to keep training, but I am to stubborn to quit... (besides my only other alternative is be bed ridden) I am aiming for my Sandan test this upcoming year ...so I want to be tip top as I can be.... Soooooooooooo my question is this? Can i use a program such as this without aggrevating my back even more I see alot of jumping....and have been told thats not to wise for me? Even though in Sesian this cannot not be avoided lol....Awaiting your reply Thank You :)
Live for the journey , not the title's :)
Kevin Guse

Post by Kevin Guse »

Hey Uechi Dude-

No doubt it's hard to avoid jumping in sesian! :lol: Sorry to hear about you back but good for you for not rolling over belly up. I think the most important thing here is for you to fallow DR's advice and listen to your body. Those two people know your body best. I would never want to tell someone "oh ya go for it" when I'm not a DR. and don't know how you feel. My unprofessional advice or opinion would be that there are many drills that a person could do from this program that would be ok on ones back and would improve you ability for you test. In fact now that I think of it many of these drills you may find could help you improve in areas that you are limited to practicing b/c of you back. If you are able to perform the jump at the end of sesian you will be able to complete a large percentage of this program. I would think that maybe if you can't perform up to your standard in one area b/c of your back limitation you would want to make all other areas of you uechi skills better than ever to make up for the lacking????? If you still arn't sure about puchasing it and want me to describe some of the drills I'm talking about let me know.

Bill if you see this post Any thoughts????

Kevin
Uechi Dude

Post by Uechi Dude »

I appreciate your response....one of the things I do teach and participate in is a flat footed jump to the top of Poles roughly 3' off the ground standing still. Then going into a one leg crane stance then... doing a one legged squat's rep sets of 10 3 times per leg ...I love this drill so do my Kids :).Of course I have the kids performing wind sprints and running in sand and training on grass and uneven ground as well.... but I will probably purchase the video .. and make my kids use it too ;) Thank you for your response.
gmattson
Site Admin

I teach and perform myself...

Post by gmattson »

a "walk back" Seisan jump. In my teaching career, I've worked with quite a few people who suffer from different ailments where any kind of jumping aggravates an already bad condition. And it is funny how most of these people feel as though they are betraying the system by modifying a movement like the jump-back.

So it is important for the teacher to be flexible in his/her methods, enabling many more students to continue practicing without being responsible for making a bad condition even worse.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
Uechi Dude

Post by Uechi Dude »

Funny you mention the walk back method..I have seen Soke Tomoyose...do it that way as well.... I agree as I have stated before this is an Art ....it has to evolve or it is nothing but historical moves.... with no real future in sight.As I grow as a student (most important) as well as an Instructor I hope to never get short sighted nor minded...in this wonderful & beautiful style :)
Kevin Guse

Post by Kevin Guse »

Hope your kids and you enjoy it! How old are they? Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help. I am in contact with the family that developed the program at least a couple of times per week and they are continually coming up with new techniques.

Anyone want to test out their athleticism??? Ever tried the Sesian jump or walk back the complete opposite??? Try it and let me know. With some practice and concentration it can be done. Kind of like throwing a football or bushing you teeth with the with your non dominant hand. The second is worth a good laugh at yourself in the mirror after a long day. :lol:
Uechi Dude

Post by Uechi Dude »

They range in ages from 6 to 15 yrs old.
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

What exactly does this entail??.the video I mean, before I order I'd like to know :wink:
Kevin Guse

Post by Kevin Guse »

What exactly does this entail??.the video I mean, before I order I'd like to know
This is a great training video that fallows the Athletic Excellence program. For more about the program's credentials visit the site. http://britathletex.com/

The video has very easy to fallow exercises in all aspects of athleticism improvement including: flexibility, speed, strength , power, Plyometrics, agility, reaction, ambidexterity, whole brain thinking, balance, and core strength to name a few.

It also does a good job of explaining the philosophy behind the drills so you know why you are doing them not just how to do them. There is also a section that outlines for you how to set up a workout program.

This program is excellent for people of all ages, all skill levels and is not sport specific.

If you want more details or have other questions don't hesitate to ask. :lol:

Thanks

Return to “Conditioning (Cardio to Iron Shirt)”