finishes from side mount

T Rose

finishes from side mount

Post by T Rose »

ok all you experienced grapplers out there.. give me some ideas... What finishes (submissions) do you prefer from side mount?

thanks
later
Malcolm Wagner

finishes from side mount

Post by Malcolm Wagner »

T-Rose,

I love the key lock (see other thread) and the Kimura (kind of a reverse key lock). I think it is also called a "Chicken-wing" in some styles like Gene Labell's (sp?) system. I have also seen some submissions from the old "knee in the stomach" from the side mount. Lots of Gi-chokes also work, or start from the side.

Something that helps me keep my side mount is spreading my legs into kind of a split while I am holding the opponent---it really increases your base. Any good Judoka should know this already.

Side question----What does everyone think of the Gracie's three principles of grappling---1.Base 2.Mobility 3.Focused calm---they work for me;-)

Mal
rich_simons

finishes from side mount

Post by rich_simons »

Tracey Sensei:

Ude Garami (arm entanglement) is a good option.

Check out: http://www.judoinfo.com/quiz0297_2.htm

From the ground, you will find that it is better (i.e., hurts more) when your opponent's arm is in a (roughly) 90-degree angle and the hand is in line with the shoulder. If the hand is too high (i.e., near or above the head), the technique will be less effective.

The drawing at the bottom of the above link illustrates this point.

Rich
T Rose

finishes from side mount

Post by T Rose »

one more thing.. been working on a finish from north/south.. it's like a backwards 'guillotine'. I don't know the name of this technique. You place your chest on your man, keeping the weight on him. Place your arm under their neck. Post your knee in their back. Keeping the weight on chest lift their head. Should pressure the back of the neck.. Can't seem to get it and I suspect it is the knee placement which seems to be supporting their weight... anyone familiar with this??

thanks
T Rose

finishes from side mount

Post by T Rose »

thanks for the replies.. I can sometimes get the keylock.. having troubles with the choke, seems I lose my base or something and end up having to re-establish it.. what do you folks think about moving from side mount to say scarf hold or north/south.. I generally go north/south (since I can't ever seem to submit from side mount). When north/south I generally go for the kimura or maybe into a arm bar. Not prefernce but basically the only one I know so far.. Any other suggestions for working from side-mount?

thanks
Souders

finishes from side mount

Post by Souders »

Here is a couple i use. If the person gets sloppy with the arm on the oppisite side of you. Scoop the arm step over the head into a straight armbar. Second if they have their leg up to block you from mounting then either 1. grab foot and apply a figure four toe hold or 2.slide in the closest knee sit back and do a inside heelhook
Malcolm Wagner

finishes from side mount

Post by Malcolm Wagner »

Welcome Souders,

Something I saw Rickson Gracie do when his opponent had the knee up to keep him from mounting. Rickson put the guys foot in the crook of his arm and drove the guys knee even deeper into his own chest, the guys natural reaction was to push the leg forward and straighten it out, when he did, Rickson immediately took the opportunity to mount---it was beautifuly-timed.

Mal
Joe Sullivan

finishes from side mount

Post by Joe Sullivan »

Malcolm\Tracy,

I saw him--Rickson--do that also. It worked great! Thanks for reminding me about that technique Malcolm, now I have something else to practice.

[This message has been edited by Joe Sullivan (edited August 14, 2001).]
Joe Sullivan

finishes from side mount

Post by Joe Sullivan »

Tracy, I just got finished training with Renzo Gracie. He was in Fall River for the whole weekend. I have some new tools for your side-mount tool belt! Get in touch

Joe P.
Malcolm Wagner

finishes from side mount

Post by Malcolm Wagner »

Joe,

You have to share with all of us. When is Renzo fighting again? How was he as a person? Did y'all match up? I feel like a kid---tell us, tell us, please.

Mal

Return to “Kyohon - Grappling (For Stand-Up M.A.)”