Peter Urban

This is Dave Young's Forum.
Can you really bridge the gap between reality and training? Between traditional karate and real world encounters? Absolutely, we will address in this forum why this transition is necessary and critical for survival, and provide suggestions on how to do this correctly. So come in and feel welcomed, but leave your egos at the door!
NEB

Peter Urban

Post by NEB »

As some of you have may heard, Peter Urban recently passed away. I place this post in "tough issues" only because Mr. Urban is respected by many and has the reputation of being a karate pioneer (in the style of Goju-Ryu) but that admiration might be limited to his most loyal followers.

As for me, I will hold my own views to myself: It does surprise me, though, that there has been no mention of this somewhat newsworthy happening to-date on this site. (unless I have missed it).

nb
gmattson
Site Admin

First I heard about it.

Post by gmattson »

Granted, I've been travelling, but was notheless disappointed that nothing has been posted here by anyone. Peter, although very controversial, certainly was one of the pioneers of karate and contributed much towards its introduction and spread during the early 60s and 70s.

If anyone has any details, please post.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
NEB

Post by NEB »

I know this has been a pretty "cold" topic here on the forums, but it is true that Mr. Urban did have a large influence on the spread of Goju karate in the U.S. My own sensei studied with Peter before migrating to other systems.

He was, to no contest, athletically gifted and dedicated to what he was doing.

nb
benzocaine

Post by benzocaine »

When I was 12 or 13 I studied Goju U.S.A.

We sparred every class, and competition was emphysised (ha but what kids class isn't!).

One time we had a special evening workout. I didn't realise the significance of it then but it was Master Urban working with us.

Return to “Realist Training”