Here it comes....

This is Dave Young's Forum.
Can you really bridge the gap between reality and training? Between traditional karate and real world encounters? Absolutely, we will address in this forum why this transition is necessary and critical for survival, and provide suggestions on how to do this correctly. So come in and feel welcomed, but leave your egos at the door!
benzocaine

Here it comes....

Post by benzocaine »

Since we spent a long time discussing this issue before I thought I'd post this here.

Hight court refuses to Halt Gay marraiges

I wonder how vicious the battle will get?
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

http://www.virginiaisforhaters.org

One step forward, one step back. I was chatting with some friends over the weekend who were talking about their experience living in Northern Virginia as opposed to when they lived down by you Benzocain. They said it really felt like two different worlds.

What seems to be the greatest challenge to people is that we have such a range of opinions on everthing - we are so different - and many times what one part of a State thinks is a good idea, much of the rest of the state thinks isn't, and vice-versa. I think what will be most interesting is the ballot vote in 2006 in Mass that would ban gay marriage.

If the vote were today the measure would probably pass - but two years from now....will people simply become accustomed to gay marriage the same way some are slowly becoming accustimed to inter-racial marraige and inter-religion marriage, or does it only fortify the beliefs of those opposed?

Dana
Did you show compassion today?
Panther

Post by Panther »

I wonder if the ballot initiatives, amendment, or whatever votes in 2006 will have any effect? IANALNDIPOOTV, but, if the SJC has already ruled that this is the way it is... and since people are going by that ruling and making their life plans... wouldn't any changes in the law be "expost facto"? And aren't such "expost facto" laws/changes themself considered UnConstitutional? Seems that all the SJC has to do in 2006 is make a ruling that says just that...
==================================
My God-given Rights are NOT "void where prohibited by law!"
Gene DeMambro

Post by Gene DeMambro »

If the amendment does pass, perhaps it would restrict marriage to heterosexual couples only, from the date it takes effect, and leave gay marriages performed in the meantime alone.

But who knows....

Gene
IJ

Post by IJ »

It's remarkable how boring this all has become... I was just glad the day passed without any explosions and just some civil protests.

I remember a time when overturning the Crimes Against Nature laws in Virginia seemed like it would be a millenium long struggle because standing up for equality or standing against absurd laws was equated with being one of a few politicians basically aligned with "perverts." No political incentive to right that wrong...

Then Georgia overturned their sodomy law, the one that was upheld in Bowers, essentially saying, gosh, we were wrong afterall...

Then the SCOTUS basically erased sodomy laws across the nation. Has anything awful happened since?

Marriage initiatives were overturned just about everywhere, including one in Hawaii like the one in Mass blocked by a Constitutional amendment there... and evidence from Vermont that civil unions wouldn't harm anyone... and the Mass ruling that marriage had to be allowed... and a million challenges later that day has come and gone.

This place is getting more and more boring... second class citizenship is slowly being erased. I imagine, especially if we get thru the next years without vandalizing the Constitution, all of this "revolution" will come to look no more radical than legalizing interracial marriage within a short time frame. Perhaps a little while longer will come equality in the military and perhaps the right to MENTION LGBs when it comes to sex ed.

The stated purpose of the LGB advocacy group back in college was to render itself obsolete and disband. Little by little, it's happening.
--Ian

Return to “Realist Training”