What happened to the military??

This is Dave Young's Forum.
Can you really bridge the gap between reality and training? Between traditional karate and real world encounters? Absolutely, we will address in this forum why this transition is necessary and critical for survival, and provide suggestions on how to do this correctly. So come in and feel welcomed, but leave your egos at the door!
mikemurphy

gang banged by Virginians :-)

Post by mikemurphy »

Bill sensei,

Hope you got everything you wished for today! Now back to the regularly scheduled broadcasting....

<<It's fun listening to you, Mike. At least your point of view is clear. No changing it, for sure. >>

It's fun to battle with you Bill because we both wear it on our sleeves! :-)

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Mike Just because one has the power doesn't mean they have to use it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<<And just because one can kick the crap out of someone doesn't mean one shouldn't do so before having it done to them or see it done to someone else first. But I won't change your mind about U.S. as bully, so continue to feel badly for the both of us. >>

I don't believe we should be in the field of kicking the crap out of someone just because we "think" they might strike first. How about some proof first. Oh yeah, all those weapons of mass destruction. I forgot what "W" claimed.

<<Wrong, Mike. It has everything to do with the thread. Follow the al qaeda connection. >>

It's different in the way that it is a different type of conflict than the one going on in Iraq. Let's not start a thread on this quite yet.

<<OK, so you think Nick Berg "asked for it" then, right? That evil man who wants to pay his bills.... The nerve of him not being part of some society where all is provided by the government instead. I mean really... He should have gotten a real job like yours, Mike! >>

And like yours Bill! You've traveled enough, you should know the Constitution doesn't go with you. Did he know the danger? I'm assuming he did. If you go dancing in mine fields, expect a few booms!

<<Oh and just in case you didn't read the article I posted above, Zarqawi was trained in chemical and biological weapons in Afghanistan by al qaeda, and arrived in Iraq long before the U.S. was ever there. But let's not confuse ourselves with these details. Should we reserve those details for another thread as well? >>

Probably, but where were all the weapons? Did we find everything "W" said was there? Training and using are two different things. Did we go into Iraq because Zarqawi trained in chemical and biological weapons? I have a friend who took a class at MIT that involved how to make a nuclear weapon, does that mean he will do it? Where does it end Bill? Like I said before, is N. Korea and Iran next on your hit list because of their recent experiments? Why don't we just go and do away with China and France, they are just guilty in training and supplying than those in Afghanistan.

<<Yep... Glad my SUV tank is full now! >>

Drive well my friend and remember what it took to get it.

<<What? You didn't get YOUR oil shipment, Mike? What about your quota of Iraqi love slaves? >>

How much oil are we receiving from Iraq these days? The love slaves had to be shipped via cargo ships so they won't get inspected. ;-)

<<Boy, Santa wasn't very nice to you this year. Maybe you were bad and voted for the wrong man... >>

I knew voting for Bill Clinton was wrong (he can't be elected for a third term) but I did it anyway just to piss off all those blood thirsty republicans.

<<When I was a kid, I wanted to play for the Boston Red Sox. Instead what I found is that I had talents that I have subsequently taken advantage of first in academic research (check my publications in the 1980s and 1990s) and then doing health services research and product development in the private sector. >>

Damn! And we could have used you all those lowly years ago. :-(

<<I still hit balls in the batting cage.>>

Do you put little pictures of Ted Kennedy on each one for better results?

<<BTW, I missed the draft in Vietnam by one year. My draft number was 19. I was a gonner...but then the war ended. Les jeux sont fait! >>

For that I am truely thankful!

<<You keep forgetting, Mike. YOU'RE the one that loves all these governments with central planning. I like an economy where individuals have choices, and the free market rules. >>

I love the idea of freedom of choice, but I personally don't espouse things that I wouldn't do. That's just me of course. Would I pick up a gun and fight in Iraq. Not in your life! But I would be the first if the cause was right.

<<You're getting confused again, Mike, between your strawman and the facts.>>

Enlighten me oh wise one. You keep saying that this Iraq invasion was right because you believe in defending your freedom because al queda has somehow stripped you of it (paraphrasing of course). Tell me what you really mean (and don't hold back)! ;-)

<<I'm never afraid to have France, Germany, Russia, China, and Koffee Annan criticize us, Mike. In fact I find it pretty funy - particularly in light of all the documents we found on them in Iraq. >>

I guess it just depends on your global perspective huh? It's like the rest of the world who views "W" as a fool. Good thing we are always right!

<<Yes, Mike, they were very, very bad. Santa won't be sending them any oil credits for Christmas... >>

Oh, they'll all get their oil credits, you can be sure of that!

<<So you want to piss on Britain, Poland, Australia, Bulgaria, and other allies that stuck by us?>>

Darn! I forgot about the power-houses of Australia and Bulgaria. How many troops did they send again?

<<And reward those who were f***ing us over behind our backs? I'm glad I skipped straight over to Foreigh Policy 102... >>

Good thing we are in the majority huh? Hell, go right to FP 103 "International Relations and Double Standards"

<<Where the hell did YOU go, Mike? >>

Well, I was kind of in the party mode. Yes, I'll admit, I spent some time in Georgetown :-0

<<Ever heard of Alexandria? Arlington? Falls Church? Loudon County? You're a teacher, Mike. Check out their average SAT scores. Bet you a dinner of your choice that those scores (or any other standardized tests) kick the crap out of the school district in which you teach. >>

I was thinking of DC, not into the posh resorts of Alexandria or Arlington, however, before you go throwing out scores and stats, we can all do that (i.e. Wellesley, Weston, Hingham). What does it really mean? My mom can kick the S**t out of your mom :wink:

<<Hey, it was you guys that started all the trouble. It took Virginians and Virginia to straighten it all out.>>

And then screwed it up all over again in 1861. Oops, facts...sorry!

Rich,

Oh to be so perfect. I guess next time I'm up late setting out the Xmas gifts for the kids and decide to break for the computer, I'll bring the spell check with me and do some major editing. BTW, next time you need something corrected or looked over, I'll be more than happy to lend my red pen. In fact, I'd get a kick out of it. Isn't there a gun that needs to be loaded somewhere???

IJ,

<<No, because we don't.>>

WHAT????

Do you happen to know the poverty rate in the US? (12.1%) That's out of approximately 294 million as of last guess. These are people who are practically starving to death in a country where we have the capability of feeding most of the planet if we chose to. That's sad!

<<Actually, if you come to any hospital for any reason whether you're homeless, uninsured, violent, mean, from jail, or an illegal immigrant, that hospital is required to provide ncessary care and can't send you out untreated or to an unsafe situation.>>

Oh, that's just beautiful. They just jump in their BMWs and treck up to the local hospital where they'll be treated with the utmost care. Only because I'm not as computer savy as Bill sensei in this, but the following is a good read:

"Many people who lack a stable, permanent residence have few shelter options because shelters are filled to capacity or are unavailable. A recent study of 27 U.S. cities found that in 2001, 37% of all requests for emergency shelter went unmet due to lack of resources - a 13% increase from the previous year. For families, the numbers are even worse: 52% of emergency shelter requests from families were denied, a 22% increase from last year (U.S. Conference of Mayors, 2001). In addition, a review of homelessness in 50 cities found that in virtually every city, the city's official estimated number of homeless people greatly exceeded the number of emergency shelter and transitional housing spaces (National Law Center on Homelessness and Poverty, 1999). Moreover, there are few or no shelters in rural areas of the United States, despite significant levels of homelessness (Aron and Fitchen, 1996). As a result of these and other factors, many people in homeless situations are forced to live with relatives and friends in crowded, temporary arrangements. People in these situations are experiencing homelessness but are less likely to be counted. For instance, of the children and youth identified as homeless by State Departments of Education in FY2000, only 35 percent lived in shelters; 34 percent lived doubled-up with family or friends, and 23 percent lived in motels and other locations. Yet, these children and youth may not immediately be recognized as homeless and are sometimes denied access to shelter or the protections and services of the McKinney-Vento Act (U.S. Department of Education).

There are several national estimates of homelessness. Many are dated, or based on dated information. For all of the reasons discussed above, none of these estimates is the definitive representation of "how many people are homeless," but the best approximation is from an Urban Institute study which states that about 3.5 million people, 1.35 million of them children, are likely to experience homelessness in a given year (Urban Institute 2000).
These numbers, based on findings from the Urban Institute and specifically the National Survey of Homeless Assistance Providers, draw their estimates from a study of service providers across the country at two different times of the year in 1996. The found that, on a given night in October, 444,000 people (in 346,000 households) experienced homelessness - which translates to 6.3% of the population of people living in poverty. On a given night in February, 842,000 (in 637,000 households) experienced homelessness - which translates to almost 10% of the population of people living in poverty. Converting these estimates into an annual projection, the numbers that emerge are 2.3 million people (based on the October estimate) and 3.5 million people (based on the February estimate). This translates to approximately 1% of the U.S. population experiencing homelessness each year, 38 percent (October) to 39 percent (February) of them being children (Urban Institute 2000).
It is also important to note that this study was based on a national survey of service providers. Since not all people experiencing homelessness utilize service providers, the actual numbers of people experiencing homelessness are likely higher than those found in the study, Thus, we are estimating on the high end of the study's numbers: 3.5 million people, 39% of which are children (Urban Institute 2000).
Thirteen percent of homeless patients surveyed in a national study published in the 1980s stated that poor physical health was a factor in their becoming homeless. Of those patients, half said health was a "major factor" and 15% stated that it was the "single most important" factor (Wright and Weber, 1987). The problem has become much worse in the last decade, as the number of uninsured Americans continues to increase. In 1997, 43.4 million people in the United States lacked health insurance, and nearly one-third of persons living in poverty had no health insurance of any kind (U.S. Bureau of the Census, 1998). The coverage held by many others would not carry them through a catastrophic illness. A recent analysis of Health Care for the Homeless (HCH) projects found that the number of uninsured persons seeking treatment is increasing: overall, HCH programs report a 35% increase in the numbers of patients who are uninsured (O'Connell, J., Lozier, J., and Gingles, K., 1997)."

Are you still so sure that our government is doing all it can? How about taking one week of Iraqi/Afghani money and putting it to good use here?
So of those minimal number of patients you saw and did something for (I applaud you...really) it's just a drop in the bucket.

<<You want to compare us to states that forbade medical care to women unless by women doctors whose education they forbade? And used relief money for palaces while kids starved? Go ahead, but the problem exists only in your noodle. I have problems with our police action in Iraq, but I'm not crazy enough to believe our system's not orders of magnitude better.>>

No, I want us to think of US first. Let's fix the problems here before we rush off spending billions to a place or cause which will see no return for the money. Even if Virginia is Utopia (that spelled right Rich???), there are 49 other states who could sure use the money.

<<PS who's raping natural resources? Iraqhas pumped oil before we arrived;>>

It's their oil, isn't it? What right do we have to take it?

<< far as I know, Afghanistan has rocks and heroin, and we need neither here.>>

And at last I heard both industries are doing better than ever. Good thing we were able to help. I wonder where the increased heroin production is going? Probably not to the posh resorts of Arlington or Alexandria.

mike
RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

Mike said: "BTW, next time you need something corrected or looked over, I'll be more than happy to lend my red pen. In fact, I'd get a kick out of it. Isn't there a gun that needs to be loaded somewhere???"

Sounds like a fair offer.

Regarding the firearms, all is squared away here. However, I have a standing offer to all Uechika that come to the area of a trip to the range should you be in the area in the future.

Also: "Even if Virginia is Utopia (that spelled right Rich???), "

Yep, looks fine.

By the way, did you edit something out?

Rich
Member of the world's premier gun club, the USMC!
Gene DeMambro

Post by Gene DeMambro »

Must be local dialect.
Like how some people say "ask" and "nuclear"....

Gene
RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

Exactly.
Gene DeMambro

Post by Gene DeMambro »

Mike must be referring to what goes on in his neighborhood.
The local hospital to where Mike lives and works is No. 3 in the state for providing free care. I happen to work at that hospital.

Explain again to us Rich what goes on in Mike's neighborhood?

Utility companies here are prohibited from stopping service to homes where there are small children or elderly. A Red state I lived in for a short time had no such prohibition at that time. A young mother, whose power was cut off, lit her home with candles and did her laundry at a neighbor's house. Well a candle fell over, torched the home and 3 small children died. Never would have happened in this Blue state.

The question to ask, Ian, is which hospitals would turn the uninsured away if they weren't forced to take them by law!

Gene
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Gene

Next time you are sick, why not call a lawyer? Or one of your favorite politicians? Personally I'll go to Dr. Ian - with or without money - and take my chances.

BTW, he lost probably 2 or 3 years of his life burning out in Beth Israel hospital during his internship. For schit pay. With little sleep.

You're welcome.

Come to the Richmond Virginia Power office down here, Gene, when the weather gets warm in the spring. Same with City of Richmond gas. Better bring your own chair... And no, they didn't need you or any other individual with "superior empathy" to tell them how to act.

- Bill
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Mike

First, get over the WMD issue. We would have gone with or without them. Period. End of story. It was a nice showcase reason but... Saddam violated I believe 13 "last chance" resolutions from the U.N. The U.N. refused to do anything about it. And why? Saddam had all the right parties bought off. He rendered the organization useless.

Meanwhile... I kind of like cleaning up a mess before it turns into a 9/11. We had every reason then and every reason now to believe that the place was a major U.S. terrorist event waiting to happen, never mind Saddam's history of taking what he wanted in the Middle East, engaging in ethnic cleansing, and direct efforts to kill Jews. Life has been a lot better in the rest of the Middle East since he has been gone. And the cost of cleaning a mess up in Iraq is a lot cheaper than the cost of cleaning one up over here.

As for the rest of the problems, well I leave you with an ancient Chinese saying. In order to scare 100 monkeys, kill one.

Oh, and you should know by now that I don't own an SUV. I was just being "ironical." Still looking for some major improvements... (And/or the SUV of my dreans to drop down from $63 K.) Plus... I need a big one so I can carry both my family and my Iraqi love slaves... ;)

I am glad you are concerned about the homeless. However while I respect your empathy, I disagree that we should consider it at all here. Why?

* First and foremost, ignore al quaeda and eventually you make a schitload of able bodied individuals homeless (or lifeless) next time they pull off one of their American extermination extravaganzas over here. They like to do it for sport, you know. Years of education in madrasses has us dehumanized as entities worthy of cleansing off the face of the earth.

In an airline, the flight attendant instructs moms first to put an oxygen mask on themselves in an emergency, and then to put one on their child. That makes the most sense in an economy as well. We'll have no resources to protect the defenseless here if the economy and the able bodied aren't protected first.

The human body works the same way. As part of an extreme Survival Stress Response, the body brings blood to the brain and the core at the expense of the extremities. Evolution has shown that to be the superior way to do things. Why? Because if it wasn't, then another physiologic paradigm would have survived.

* Your numbers on the homeless are interesting. However you must understand that there is a law of diminishing returns here. Sorry if it seems cold but...them's the facts. Here are the issues.

First...
Approximately 200,000 individuals with schizophrenia or manic-depressive illness are homeless, constituting one-third of the approximately 600,000 homeless population (total homeless population statistic based on data from Department of Health and Human Services).
- schizophrenia.com

Once upon a time, Mike, we put all those homeless schizophrenics in "shelters" (a.k.a. Institutions) "for their own good." But "progressive" thinking in psychiatric care dictates that we can't hold such people in such shelters against their will any more unless they show a potential of harming either themselves or others. So all M.D.s can do is give them medicine, tell them how to treat themselves, and let them go. And if Mr. Jones or Mrs. Smith decides not to take their meds, to shun the world, and to live where they damn well please (even if on the street), well...there isn't a damn thing we can do about it. So what would you do with all these people, Mike? Change the laws and force them all back in Institutions?

You can't do a damn thing about these folks if they don't want to be helped, Mike. Ask Dr. Ian. I'm sure he's seen his fair share.

BTW, I have first hand knowledge (from non-blood-relative loved ones) and professional knowledge of these scenarios. :cry:

You want to do something, Mike? Support GOOD research on the treatment of schizophrenia. And find ways to make schizophrenics today take their meds. Good luck...

Meanwhile, you can throw a lot of good money after bad on this problem today, and not get very far.
Mike wrote:<<I still hit balls in the batting cage.>>

Do you put little pictures of Ted Kennedy on each one for better results?
Don't you know, Mike, that I'm getting a patent on a variation of the 150 mph tennis ball pitching machine with numbers device. Instead of identifying the numbers as the balls sail by, I'm having pictures of my "favorite" political figures put on the balls. Sorry, but Teddy isn't on the top of the list. I've got some politician-lawyers in mind with far more sins than Teddy whom I'd like to put some wood on first. 8)

Note this young future Softball Olympics prospect taking a swing... ;)

* Next....
MIke wrote:I knew voting for Bill Clinton was wrong (he can't be elected for a third term) but I did it anyway just to piss off all those blood thirsty republicans.
Hey, I voted twice for Willie Bad Boy myself. And you know what? He's the guy that put the kabosh on welfare. Been on it too long? So sorry... GET A JOB!!!!

Gotta watch out for those "red state" democrats... ;)

Watcha want to bet that your only hope for a Democrat in the White House in the next few elections is a Deomocratic Governor in my neighborhood?

This is all part of my own way of saying that you can piss a lot of money away on a "Great Society" - or - you can create a land of opportunity where you give folks a chance to succeed or fail on their own. There's nothing wrong with a safety net in this world. But half the population wouldn't get out of bed in the morning if they weren't hungry and/or they owed a schitload of money. It's not necessarily vice to be lazy, but it's tragedy destroying man's dignity with a welfare state.
For instance, of the children and youth identified as homeless by State Departments of Education in FY2000, only 35 percent lived in shelters; 34 percent lived doubled-up with family or friends, and 23 percent lived in motels and other locations.
So what's the problem with living doubled-up with family and friends? Sounds like a better deal all the way around! And it used to be that churches took on this role in a community. What happened? :roll:

We all should ask a little less of government and a little more of each other and ourselves to make life bearable.

All this gets to illustrating two very important laws of economics: 1) the law of diminishing returns, and 2) the law of unintended consequences. As they say, the road to hell is paved with the best of intentions.

I admire your heart, Mike, but you don't get my vote. I think you are where you need to be - giving that big heart to our future generations in the classroom. Hats off to you, sir. And may they double your salary. Teachers deserve it.

- Bill
benzocaine

Post by benzocaine »

:popcorn:
RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

"double your salary. Teachers deserve it."

I will vote for that... need more $$ for toys!

Rich
RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

Interesting note in the news regarding the catastrophe in the Indian Ocean...

The 'evil and thoughtless' Bush administration has already released $millions in aid and offered whatever services needed to assist the region. Hard hit Indonesia is, by the way, a Muslim country.

Where are France, Germany, the UN etc?

Rich
IJ

Post by IJ »

Mike, your arguments are lame. Sorry guy.

First you quote figures on poverty. Great. People are poor. That has nothing to do with the provision of emergency services. What, should we just write them a check and make them nonpoor? Poor doesn't equate with starving. A lot of poor people have the OTHER weight problem actually. Next time use starvation figures.

"They just jump in their BMWs and treck [sic] up to the local hospital."

No dummy, they call our elaborate system of emergency transportation and get a free ride!

Next you cite figures on people who are forced to live in cramped circumstances with others. This is not homelessness! This is crowding and it occurs worldwide. I do not want to be further taxed so everyone has a NICE place to live. Do you? If you do, why don't you already give away all of your "excess income"?

Next you give us stats that many people are homeless. Guess what! That's what the shelter system is for, not a sign it is not working. How many of these people are TURNED away from all shelters? You don't tell us.

"So of those minimal number of patients you saw and did something for it's just a drop in the bucket."

Luckily, I am not the only physician working at what is not the only hospital in what is not the only city in the USA :roll: Nor do I represent the private charities, the shelters, and meals on wheels, and all the other services this rather ab fab nation provides! PS: I'm getting paid for my work, so it's no big deal--the taxpayers are the actual providers in this system.

"It's their oil, isn't it? What right do we have to take it?"

We're rebuilding their country. How's that?

Mike, just bring a real argument to the table!

Bill, yep, many (halfish) of the homeless I meet have schizophrenia. A lot of the bad ones really do belong in institutions... but those are gone in a big way. The rest, or rather the majority, of everyone else is using at least one, usually 2 drugs. On arrival, most are intoxicated. Usually, they have problems that are directed related to their substance use. Many of these problems are acute and would cease without ongoing use. Others could have been dealt with in clinics, such as the network of local clinics for the homeless and uninsured. You don't go when you're high, sadly. Shizophrenia and drug abuse are the biggest problems for the homeless, not George Bush and his brownshirts, though we might sometimes hear otherwise :)

Rich, while I agree with you on right to carry... I'm not sure the next-door gun law discrepancies prove they work. People could get their DC guns in your area if they wanted, and they do. I think it has more to do with the population. Again, keep carrying!
--Ian
RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

Ian said: "I'm not sure the next-door gun law discrepancies prove they work. People could get their DC guns in your area if they wanted, and they do. I think it has more to do with the population."

It is difficult to get a handgun legally if you are from out of state. Without a VA drivers license and a second form of ID showing the same address a legit dealer just will not sell to you. There is a black market though, but I doubt that it resides in Alexandria.

Also in VA, to get a firearm that is classified as an 'assault weapon' (flash hider, bayonet lug...) you need a current passport or your birth certificate in addition to the above mentioned ID. Not too many bad guys will be willing to display that much ID, let alone have it.

Gun shows are blamed big time but the stats show that only about 1% of guns used in crimes come from gun shows. There is such a huge visible, and invisible, LEO presence that bad guys tend to stay away. Also, licensed dealers need to run an NICS check before turning over a firearm to anyone. I suppose a few rogue individuals are at gun shows, but not many.

By the way, regarding carrying a 'piece', drop by Bill's forum and look for my post on a recent occurence.

Rich
IJ

Post by IJ »

I know the situation is complex Rich... I just don't think that if the gun laws were made the same in DC, that the crime rate would then become the same. I still support the change and I love hearing about citizens taking their streets back. A shrink with a color-wheel theory of emotions once told me he thought love was a mix of joy and FEAR. When his kid was born, he thought, oh my god, how wonderful... and what if i drop it!!! The more things one earns, especially the hard way, the more loved ones one has, the more one can sympathize with disgust for the criminal element that has no concept for the value of these things and destroys lives in a moment just for greed. Believe me, no tears shed for those who learn the hard way that crime doesn't pay.
--Ian
Gene DeMambro

Post by Gene DeMambro »

No, Bill. When I'm sick I call Dr. uBtera and he takes me right away. I need to have an ingrown toenail on my right big toe sliced off, so Dr. O'Leary's getting a ring from me tomorrow. He looks like Frank Perdue, and has a thriving Podiatry practice. Dr. Ian, unfortunately, has relocated to warmer locales. Oh well....

Physicians have made great strides to enter politics in recent years. The Senate Majority Leader is a heart surgeon - Dr. Bill Frist (trained in Boston - you're welcome).

Ian loosing 2 to 3 years of his life for schit pay learning how to be physician? Perhaps you missed my posts supporting shorter hours for residents and interns. Perhaps you missed my support for Dr. Ian having some time to eat a decent meal and have time for personal comfort (i.e use the washroom).

I'm not sure I understand your invitation to visit Richmond Power or Richmond gas. But we don't need Rich and others calling anyone out, especially when they laud the local power concern for their generosity, all the while yapping about taxes and the supposed "welfare state". Fear mongering is more like it.

Happy New Year!

Gene
RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

Gene said: "But we don't need Rich and others calling anyone out"

Who am I calling out? Certainly not my intent. Can you repost or redirect me to a case of that?

I do remember a troll a while back who I challenged to ID themselves. The reason for that is I just do not care for anonymous trolls. If you have something worth saying you should be willing to stand and be seen.

Rich

Return to “Realist Training”