Using Purple Hearts to Pick Up Chicks??

This is Dave Young's Forum.
Can you really bridge the gap between reality and training? Between traditional karate and real world encounters? Absolutely, we will address in this forum why this transition is necessary and critical for survival, and provide suggestions on how to do this correctly. So come in and feel welcomed, but leave your egos at the door!
Andrew Evans

Using Purple Hearts to Pick Up Chicks??

Post by Andrew Evans »

"Fake Purple Heart off 'Crashers' site"

See whole story at http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movies/ ... index.html (excepts below)

Rep. John Salazar (D) warned, "If any movie-goers take the advice of the 'Wedding Crashers' and try to use fake Purple Hearts to get girls, they may wind up picking up an FBI agent instead."

"Our veterans and FBI agents are working hard to make sure that we honor our true heroes. No one should undermine their efforts."

The website of the Wedding Crashers' said, "To get one of these babies, some dudes have to prove their physical, mental and spiritual strength with great feats of bravery on the battlefield. All you need to do is press the button below."

First of all, wearing a fake medal is despicable!!

However, I'm curious if wearing a purple heart really impresses women??

Senator Kerry's three purple hearts didn't seem to do much with the women voters...
Griffin

first of all

Post by Griffin »

No Veteran would wear their medals out in that fashion. So, any woman who fell for an idiotic ploy like that would fall for the standard pick-up lines anyways.

Second, if a Veteran actually did wear his medals out in that fashion, he would quickly be called to task by his fellow veterans. Its dispicable and cheap. And lessons the value we Veterans place on our service and the medals we earned. Not to mention the fact that ALL medals should be worn, or U wear none at all. If he has a Purple Heart, where are the service medals? What conflict was it awarded in? Vietnam, Just (')Cause, Desert Storm, Iraqi Freedom?

Frauds can be spotted a mile away. Just look close enough.
Panther

Post by Panther »

Andrew, you are right on the mark with your comments.

I saw my Uncles' medals ONCE (the first time I saw my Daddy's medals). It happened after much annoyance from me as a young teenager who "really wanted to know about war... honest." They decided when they were going to have the talk with me and it was a whole weekend. I heard about this friend and that friend that didn't make it back. I heard about wounds that weren't reported because that would have meant being away from the guys and everyone counted on everyone. I saw medals from service medals to medals for excellence to purple hearts... and heard the stories that went with each one. I learned that grown men can ball their eyes out and that very few in hollywood and the media understand what it's all about. A long time was spent on what it WAS/IS all about. I heard about WWII, which two uncles were in... Korea, which my Daddy and one uncle were in... and 'Nam which one uncle was in... At one point I realized that they hadn't even really compared notes between themselves before, because they started comparing notes on how things were done differently from WWII to Korea to 'Nam.

And then the medals were put away and they never mentioned it again as long as they lived.

The SECOND time I saw my Daddy's medals was after he passed away and my Momma gave them to me... "because you understand." They're in my safe and I consider those medals and ribbons, along with his honorable discharge papers and staff sgts stripes to be right at the top of my most valuable possessions list.

And I know that my cousin took my uncle's medals from 'Nam (including a purple heart) and left it at the wall in D.C. per his dad's last wishes...

I do wear small pins denoting service in Korea, the U.S.A.F. and my dad's medals in one area of my leather jacket that I wear on special occasions for bike rides. I do it as tribute to him and his memory and it's obvious that they aren't the REAL medals, just my tribute.
Kevin Mackie

Post by Kevin Mackie »

First of all, wearing a fake medal is despicable!!
You've nailed the whole point of the "joke" in the movie. The two crashers are in fact despicable cads who have stooped the lowest level to pick up women.
Andrew Evans

Post by Andrew Evans »

Thanks for sharing your story Panther. Your dad and uncle were great men. Although they were extremely humble about their accomplishments, it's good for relatives like you to keep their legacies alive.

My great-grandfather gave me one thing. The rank he wore when he was wounded in during WWII. It is among my most prized possessions as well as the dog tags that my grandfather wore during WWII.

My dad Belmont Evans suffers from PTSD. He served in Vietnam with the 13th Signal Battalion of the 1st Cavalry from 1967-April 1969. I can go on and on about the struggles of dealing with my dad's PTSD and other health issues but I'll just save that for when I run across some SOB that is wearing fake medals in an attempt to impress women. I'll let them know what I think...

I don't think we need this kind of legislation to protect the memory of our true heroes. I hope Rep. Salazar realizes that the real veterans, their friends and relatives will handle the problem. Like Griffin said, "Frauds can be spotted a mile away."

As for Vietnam, my dad doesn't talk about it very much. However, I recently located someone that he served with and they talk via email and phone conversations. It is good therapy for him. (If anyone knows of others who may have served with him, please feel free to pass along my contact information).

Thanks,
Andrew
Norm Abrahamson

Medals are chick magnets

Post by Norm Abrahamson »

I've found that wearing my cub scout merit badges and high school track medals really attracts the babes.

"I got this one for knot tying above and beyond the call of duty . . .

Hope this tip may help somebody's love life.

Sincerely,

Norm Abrahamson
Cub Scout, Pack 13, ret.

Return to “Realist Training”