Dewey, Chetham, and Howe at it again

This is Dave Young's Forum.
Can you really bridge the gap between reality and training? Between traditional karate and real world encounters? Absolutely, we will address in this forum why this transition is necessary and critical for survival, and provide suggestions on how to do this correctly. So come in and feel welcomed, but leave your egos at the door!
Gene DeMambro

Post by Gene DeMambro »

"just tell me what i should do" or "i don't know, i trust you.")
What about those of us who wish information enough to make our own informed decisons? I mostly reject - and so does modern society - the paternalistic, "physician is God" model of healthcare. We give competant patients a straight diagnosis of their problems, our preferred treatment recommendations and possible alternatives, the risks and benefits of each, as well as what might happen if we do not treat at all, and then we let patients make their own choices. That's all I ask. That's all the courts ask as well. And, if you look hard enough, I'm sure you'll find that's what your (and my) hospital asks too. And yes, any doctor, et al who does NOT do this - and refuses to recognize a person's right to self determination - does deserve to get sued.

Try this one out: Know risks before saying OK to surgery .

If someone says, "Doc, you make the call", then Doc makes the call. If someone's incompetant to make their own decisons, then we go to next in line. But for those people who are conscious, can comprehend what you tell them, can communicate their wishes and are capable of choosing, then they make the call. Guide them best you can, pray to God they make the "right" choice, but ultimately leave it in their hands.

And no, folks don't need a dissertation in medicinal biochemistry to understand how aldosterone causes cardiac remodeling in CHF. But give them info enough to make their own choice, ultimately. Taking the bad with the good, remember that people have the right to make bad choices.

And yes, there are those exceptions (like the ones you mentioned, or in emergencies).

But we can talk about informed consent on another forum/thread, if we are so inclined.

Seriously, do you really spend about a minute TOTAL talking to the newly diagnosed CHF patients? Assuming that was just hyperbole, and not absolute, it is indicative of how far medicine still has to go. And yes, I am actively working towards improving my little part of it. Not in a punitive atmosphere, but by applying those things proven to increase positive outcomes and staying within the law. As Ian admonished us a while ago: I'm trying to leave the world a better place then when I found it.

Gene
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Gene wrote: The lawyers for the Texas plaintiffs went in front of a judge every step of the way, used the rule of law to argue their case and win. They did not lie, cheat, rob, terrorize or steal to win their side.

They took part in stealing a quarter of a million dollars. Those whom they allegedly defended will see very little (if any) of this money that doesn't belong to them in the first place. It matters not what is legal or illegal when it is unethical and immoral, Gene. What would you say to those in The Third Reich who used the rule of law to justify their actions?

Sorry, I was trained differently from you. I don't look to government for direction; I have my own moral compass.

If you still don't get this, there are a few literary classics I could recommend.

The other cases you mentioned were not ambulance chaser cases.
Ian wrote: Bill, any comment on those questionable actions by Merck? Namely, to obstruct the process of informed discussions between physicians and their patients so they could decide for themselves if the heart risks were worth it?
I know many healthcare practitioners, Ian. I'm married to one. I deal with them every day. Frankly they don't understand this at all.

The only uniform complaint I hear is that too may drugs are getting yanked off the market in the first year since the streamlined FDA process. Doctors are afraid to prescribe new drugs anymore until they are on the market for a while. That to me screams of a process problem created by our government.
Ian wrote: I really don't think we can decide big tobacco is good because its lucrative for governments.
Surely you are mistaken when addressing me with this.

I am against government creating sin taxes, because government gets addicted to the sin tax. Then when revenue goes down, government props the industry up to maintain the revenue. They become corrupted by the drug money.

Yes, sin taxes reduce consumption. But ultimately it maintains it ad infinitum. It is not a solution.
Ian wrote: I know you and rich are against hitting the rich specifically with taxes, so EVERYTHING else (taxes on a base income, food, gas, smokes, whatever) is "regressive."
The wealthy can afford to smoke with the extra tax, but generally are better informed and do not. The less wealthy generally cannot be educated as easily, and are most affected by the tax.

I understand why people want to tax the hell out of tobacco. I am for it only if we take the money and burn it. Otherwise it corrupts. That money is so substantial and so addicting, that it becomes part of the problem. Time and again it is proven that politicians can't keep their hands off of it. They use it for their favorite program, which have no end. Then when the revenue wanes, they do what they can to maintain it.

Burn the damn money; then you can tax cigarettes up the ying yang for all I care.

In a perfect world (which we do not live in) you give all that money to addiction research. Then when it has succeeded, the revenue source dries up. But academia has its negative ways as well. What to do with all those scientists once they have done their job? 'Thank you very much for doing your job. Now you are out of a job...'

Sigh... Tough stuff indeed!

- Bill
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Valkenar

Post by Valkenar »

Rich:
What is the value of big tobacco? Why would anyone work for them? Well, they are a very productive member of society. They pay great wages and have great benefits. They pay an enormous amount of taxes. They employ thousands of people who pay all sorts of taxes. PM stock pays a huge dividend.
It's obvious that on a personal level an employee stands to gain materially from working there, no question. It's not surprising to me that people choose to work at such places. What I find sad is the general attitude that says "all that matters is how I benefit" and disregards the well-being of others.

As for the rest, about how they're productive and pay taxes and such, I don't think that's a valid argument. If an individual robs a bank and gives the money to charity, have they done a good thing? I say no. If big tobacco kills a few thousand people by lieing about their products and then pays a portion of the money they earned in the process in taxes I don't think that makes them a positive force in society.
Are you a green investor or a hypocrite or just clueless?
I invest with these people http://www.rainbowsolutions.us/

It's unfortunate that you find my attitude offensive, but I have no desire to antagonize you nor have I ever intentionally insulted you. And yet it is my perception that you persistantly, intentionally and openly try to insult me, or attack my character rather than my arguments. This has never offended me, but I do think it's a waste of my time to respond to such things, and therefore this will be the last time that I do.

Bill:
I'm all for a system that allows that information to get out ASAP, and reduces the likelihood that a product manufacturer will hide it for fear of litigation.
Well this is what we're debating isn't it? Nobody has really shown any evidence either way to say whether lawsuits encourage or hamper revelations. You seem to think that lawsuits make people hide information for fear it will be used against them. I think that without lawsuits, there wouldn't be any incentive to reveal information that would make people buy your product less often. Maybe I didn't read one of your posts closely enough or something, but what was your system that encourages people to volunteer information that it's not in their interests for the public to know?
Watch how many people jump onto the gravy train. Watch Big Government tax the hell out of cigarettes to keep the little guy from smoking. Then see what the politicians later do if that tobacco money starts to dry up.
This is why I shudder when someone says they want to tax tobacco as a disincentive. No thank you. I WILL NOT put myself - or my government - on the addiction gravy train.
I agree. The more money the government makes from things it supposedly is trying curtail, the less incentive it really has to actually eliminate them. This results in half-measures and ineffective laws which look good on paper but do little to actually make a dent. And just as you say, it seems that no matter how hard you try to earmark something for a particular purpose (addiction research/counseling) someone will always find a way to funnel it into something else.

Ian:
my plan to keep future merck's blameless if they behave, the big difference is this: if the FDA finds that merck is behaving, no one may sue them. Experts--independent from, not being paid by merck--make recommendations with data, and if merck follows recs, then merck is blameless unless they weren't transparent with data.
So basically you're transferring responsibility from individuals to the government for continuing monitoring of big business? Frankly I don't think I trust them to do that. The EPA has struggled in an unfavorable situation because of pressure put on them by the administration. I don't think the FDA would have a very easy time doing their job if the administration would rather they look the other way when big pharma stands to lose money. And I think that's a fairly likely scenario given the current political climate. Generally, I think the government is too subject to manipulation from big money interests to be relied upon to do as you're suggesting.
RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

target excess wealth
Ian: I love this. Who is going to decide what excess wealth is? Are you going to allow some politician decide when your wealth is excessive? That would lead to disincentives to be productive.

I have managed my earnings over the years so that I will likely be no burden to my family or the government as I age. Tax away my 'wealth' and I will become a burden on society.

Or, I could hide my $$ in my matress and forego investment earnings but be free from income taxes. Also, since my annual earned income these days is about $3,000, if my assets were in my matress I could qualify for food stamps, health care, and any number of handouts. I choose to not do this and instead put my assets to work in plain view.

What this means is that money that was taxed as income, but saved and invested, will be taxed again and again and again, every year. Then I see that illegal immagrants and lazy ne'er do wells are getting free health care and other social benefits off of my taxes. Poor VCU/MCV type public Medical Centers are, as you know, being bled dry by these miscreants.

To keep these centers open the state increases my taxes. To make room in the local schools for the kids of the illegals (who are also illegals) the county raises my propery taxes. To increase police presence due to the growing # of miscreants my taxes are increased.

Tax dollars only encourage the politicians bad behavior.

Rich
Member of the world's premier gun club, the USMC!
RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

Justin said: "It's unfortunate that you find my attitude offensive, but I have no desire to antagonize you nor have I ever intentionally insulted you. And yet it is my perception that you persistantly, intentionally and openly try to insult me, or attack my character rather than my arguments."

Justin: You continuously criticize and complain about government and industry policiies and practices. Yet, you never offer any practical solutions. My definition of that practice is 'whining'. When you can offer a potential solution to a problem that you perceive, then you are contributing. I will acknowledge that when you do.

Why are you working in a capitalistic company instead of volunteering full time for the betterment of society and the world? Probably because you enjoy some of the benefits that our society has to offer.

If you totalled all of the dollars I have donated over the years in cash or the value of my time to good causes I suspect it would be more than you have earned in your lifetime. With the time value of money factored in, unless you start giving 100% of your income to your favorite causes you will never equal my contributions to 'good causes'.

Let me know when you start putting your time and money where your mouth is.

Rich
Member of the world's premier gun club, the USMC!
Gene DeMambro

Post by Gene DeMambro »

The other cases you mentioned were not ambulance chaser cases.
Neither was this Merck case.
They took part in stealing a quarter of a million dollars.
They won a quarter million dollar in an impartial court.
Those whom they allegedly defended will see very little (if any) of this money....
See article you kindly posted for possible solutions to that.
....that doesn't belong to them in the first place.
Objective court saw it differently
What would you say to those in The Third Reich who used the rule of law to justify their actions?
IF I were to comment on that, I'd say that they got most of what they deserved when the forces of light opened up a big can of whoop-ass on them. But this example is too far out there to even bring into this discussion.

Gene
mikemurphy

???

Post by mikemurphy »

You know, I'm not a medical guys and will not offer anything to this discussion; however, I found myself totally mesmorized by the bickering, and insulting of peoples' characters. Hey, I got an idea. How about discussing a topic like people who actually have studied and practiced budo. I say this because I have met most of you and know that you are better than this crap!

Do what you want with this, it's only a suggestionl.

mike
Panther

Post by Panther »

IJ wrote:...frankly, most people fall into two categories:

--people who want to have their doctors make recommendations for them (often revealed in the question, what would you do for yourself, or your family member?, and sometimes patently blurted out: "just tell me what i should do" or "i don't know, i trust you.") ... or even above average intelligence, without a medical background or the time to get an honorary medical degree by researching every clinical question they're faced with. This is what I am paid to do: make decisions for people. Yes, people shold hear about risks, but that risk discussion has to be carefully tailored to the person.
Regardless of the fact that I haven't posted until now, I have been following along. Everyone is holding their own and being fairly civil, so I've just been reading with interest UNTIL...

This from IJ...

I consider myself part of the group of people that you are referring to with this comment. I like to believe that I'm above average intelligence with a BA, BS, MS and some courses towards a PHD. I read various medical references and even have a copy of Gray's Anatomy on one of these shelves somewhere. ;) I have some health issues that have been brought on by a number of things, but basically it started with being injured, went down-hill, started back up-hill, and has fluctuated over time. I'm working on my health with the help of my Doctor, a wonderful woman who is caring and honest and helpful. No matter HOW MUCH time I devote to my "layperson" reading on the subject, I am not an MD! Therefore...

I will always rely on the advice of physicians that I feel I can trust to guide me in the right direction. I get excellent advice from my personal physician and I can honestly say that I've gotten excellent advice and wonderful information from some good friends who are MDs and posters on these forums. Without advice from folks like Bill, Ian, and other MDs who respond to medical, chemical, physical, health, questions on these forums, it is very likely that incorrect decisions based on misleading information could have or would have been made by myself and others. There is just too much conflicting information out there on these things. Sure, there are some things that we can learn or find out on our own, but the truth is that these MDs know the studies, know the facts, know the various "angles", know the issues, and have spent their lives learning and researching JUST these things. Why? IMNSHO, it's so that folks like ME don't have to! If someone wants to ask a question about computer chip design and hardware design, that's my field... You go to the professionals in the field who have the knowledge to help you and you need to be able to trust that they will use their knowledge with your best interests in mind.

Regardless of differences in opinions that we may or may not have here on these forums, I've grown to trust and believe in the many MDs who post here and their integrity in their professional opinions.

Having said all that... Thanks to the MDs! 8)

OTOH, I spoke with a lawyer the other day... one of the very few that I feel like I can use the term "honest lawyer" when I refer to him... and he admitted to me that in his 35+ years in the profession, he can count the lawyers he feels HAVEN'T violated the code of ethics on one hand! With fingers left over! In over 35 YEARS! :oops: :cry: 8O I mentioned that I thought it was interesting that you can find lawyers who specialize in MEDICAL malpractice all over the place, but just TRY to find a lawyer that specializes in LEGAL malpractice! Virtually impossible! I was also talking with someone that works at a courthouse who told me that they are getting depressed over their job, which they've had for around 15 years. I asked why and the person said that it was because they see all the backroom, unethical, ex parte, deals between certain attorney's and certain judges day in and day out and that they've come to realize that justice isn't blind... it's who you know, not what the truth is. Poor person was really jaded. Maybe Shakespeare was right... :(
Panther

Post by Panther »

OK, when I made my post I hadn't read this last page of the "debate"...

After Mike's post, I went back and reread the thread. While I still feel like folks are holding their own, I have to agree with Mike that some of this is starting to get to be too much.

So, this one warning... bring things back into balance in the universe of this thread or I will lock the thread.

It's up to you, the posters, to try to be the adult and take a step back.

PLEASE stop the personal attacks, because I REALLY don't want to have to deal with this crap. I have enough crap going on in other areas of my life right now that I might not really care to decipher who said what/when and don't want to make any rash actions.

OK?

Play nice or I'll let the cat's pee in the sandbox and then close the door!
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Let me start by saying I am fully aware of how this thread evolves. There, I said it.

I have dear friends I love who work in law offices who have followed this thread and are e-mailing me. We are disagreeing on issues, and keeping our friendships and love of each other. This is the way life should work. I don't want to live in a world of clones; I recognize the limitations of my intelligence and personal experience.

This whole issue is about the numbers.

* A single lawsuit against the gem of the U.S. pharmaceutical industry for a quarter of a BILLION ($250,000,000) dollars of an industry which removed its product after the first decent peer-reviewed study was published. Meanwhile five thousand (5000) lawsuits against that product remain in the queue. Do the math.

* I heard on the news yesterday that 800 drugs similarly have been removed from the market in the last two years alone after approval by the new FDA (government) process. Do the math.

* Part of my job is to build and assess statistical models which predict future resource consumption and outcomes in the healthcare system. State-of-the-art models all have 100 to 200 variables which must SIMULTANEOUSLY be considered to predict a future cost for a patient or the statistical likelihood that a certain event (such as death) to happen. Because these issues are so complex, part of my job is to serve as a resource for my company to explain such issues to physicians and really smart business people trying to use these models. And our legal system asks a lay jury to consider whether or not a single drug caused an outcome in one person that is the most common cause of death? Do the math.

I've spent half a lifetime as a poor person getting to where I am to do medical research. It would be very difficult to accuse me, physicians, and workers for pharmaceutical companies that we are in it for the money.

Once there, I have come to observe many things that concern me.

* MDs who DON'T have "the good life" any more (walk a mile in their shoes...) being accused of selfishness and negligence in a nearly impossible SYSTEM. I've work for healthcare providers, with them, done research with them, provide information for them (on their efficiency and compliance to evidence-based care), designed and evaluated incentive systems for them, worked for companies that limit their pay, and live with one. I feel qualified to say we're lucky we have any good people left that want to go into the profession. Meanwhile, we have an ungrateful society benefiting from the best healthcare that money can buy wanting to lash out at them and the companies who work with them.

You want problems? Let me define a healthcare problem or two.

* In 1993 I was part of a contingent of healthcare experts that visited major cities in the former Soviet Union to work on their re-integration into the rest of the world. In Russia, the average MD (then) earned $35 per month. Most MDs were women because as in most societies, the men are usually responsible for the most stable source of income in a family. In the ICUs of major Moscow hospitals, there was no A/C, so windows were left open. This meant that flies were free to wander on fresh wounds. They could not afford latex gloves, and syringes/needles had to be re-used. The wealthy (usually connected to the Russian mafia) knew to bring in their own (western) medical supplies into a hospital if they were admitted and needed even minimal care.

* Just this year, the Canadian Supreme Court ruled that private insurance may enter that country. Why? Because it determined the government failed to meet the healthcare needs of society.

I could go on and on...

The bottom line is that EVERYONE struggles with this.

* I have issues with medical and healthcare product malpractice and liability.

* I have issues with people who justify unethical behavior in a system by pointing out how such behavior complies with the rules of a system that by its very nature should be labeled part of the problem.

Part of our open democratic process is the right to bring issues up and discuss them. What many don't realize is that when they are emotionally hijacked by those discussions, their expressed views often provide ammunition to those who feel strongly about changing this system. I'm often amazed that such people don't realize this. In any case, such behavior is quite predictable

Part of the idea of a democracy is the ability of a system to adjust to problems with the system. To wit...
In a Shift, Bush Moves to Block Medical Suits
By ROBERT PEAR

Published: July 25, 2004

ASHINGTON, July 24 — The Bush administration has been going to court to block lawsuits by consumers who say they have been injured by prescription drugs and medical devices.

The administration contends that consumers cannot recover damages for such injuries if the products have been approved by the Food and Drug Administration. In court papers, the Justice Department acknowledges that this position reflects a "change in governmental policy," and it has persuaded some judges to accept its arguments, most recently scoring a victory in the federal appeals court in Philadelphia.

Allowing consumers to sue manufacturers would "undermine public health" and interfere with federal regulation of drugs and devices, by encouraging "lay judges and juries to second-guess" experts at the F.D.A., the government said in siding with the maker of a heart pump sued by the widow of a Pennsylvania man. Moreover, it said, if such lawsuits succeed, some good products may be removed from the market, depriving patients of beneficial treatments.

In 2002, at a legal symposium, the Bush administration outlined plans for "F.D.A. involvement in product liability lawsuits," and it has been methodically pursuing that strategy.

The administration's participation in the cases is consistent with President Bush's position on "tort reform."

Mr. Bush often attacks trial lawyers, saying their lawsuits impose a huge burden on the economy and drive up health costs. The Democrats' vice-presidential candidate, Senator John Edwards, a longtime plaintiffs' lawyer, says his proudest accomplishment in Washington was to help win Senate passage of a bill defining patients' rights, including the right to sue. (The bill never became law.)

Jay P. Lefkowitz, former director of Mr. Bush's Domestic Policy Council, said the F.D.A.'s litigation strategy embodied "good health policy and good tort reform."

But Representative Maurice D. Hinchey, Democrat of New York, said the administration had "taken the F.D.A. in a radical new direction, seeking to protect drug companies instead of the public." Mr. Hinchey recently persuaded the House to cut $500,000 from the budget of the agency's chief counsel as a penalty for its aggressive opposition to consumer lawsuits.

In the Pennsylvania ruling, issued Tuesday, the appeals court threw out a lawsuit filed by Barbara E. Horn, who said her husband had died because of defects in the design and manufacture of his heart pump. The Bush administration argued that federal law barred such claims because the device had been produced according to federal specifications. In its briefs, the administration conceded that "the views stated here differ from the views that the government advanced in 1997," in the United States Supreme Court.

At that time, the government said that F.D.A. approval of a medical device set the minimum standard, and that states could provide "additional protection to consumers." Now the Bush administration argues that the agency's approval of a device "sets a ceiling as well as a floor."

The administration said its position, holding that individual consumers have no right to sue, actually benefited consumers.

The threat of lawsuits, it said, "can harm the public health" by encouraging manufacturers to withdraw products from the market or to issue new warnings that overemphasize the risks and lead to "underutilization of beneficial treatments."

Allison M. Zieve, a lawyer at the Public Citizen Litigation Group who represented the plaintiff in the Pennsylvania case, said, "The government has done an about-face on this issue." If courts accept the administration's position, Ms. Zieve said, it would amount to a backdoor type of "tort reform" that would shield manufacturers from damage suits.

In the Pennsylvania case, the federal appeals court quoted extensively from the administration's brief and said the views of the F.D.A. were entitled to great deference because the agency was "uniquely qualified" to determine when federal law should take precedence over state law.

Bush administration officials said their goal was not to shield drug companies, but to vindicate the federal government's authority to regulate drug products.

Patients and their families said they felt betrayed.
So to those who wanted to know what politics had to do with this, well there you go. If you think compliance with a flawed system justifies unethical practices in that system, consider that a preponderance of such unethical practices eventually causes a response. We're lucky we live in a society where such change can happen.

On the subject of this thread getting ugly - and I agree, Mike and Panther, IT IS NOT NECESSARY for it to be so - I leave you with this.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
- Thomas Jefferson

On the subject of a flawed system, I leave you with this.
Every generation needs a new revolution
- Thomas Jefferson

And on the subject of punitive solutions to a problem we all can see, I leave you with this.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
- Albert Einstein

I remain passionate about my beliefs, while still remaining respectful of all those who care to enter the debate with honor and civility. I bear no malice to anyone here, and it is not my intention for any PERSON to feel maligned.

Keep your passions, all - including and especially all those who disagree with me. But remember we are brothers and sisters.

- Bill
Gene DeMambro

Post by Gene DeMambro »

• Merck had data going back at least 2 years before the introduction of Vioxx that COX-2 inhibition had possible profound cardiac complications. The first decent peer-reviewed article provided the tipping point.
  • 800 recalled/withdrawn drugs seems high to me - and I work in the industry. I wonder if that includes drugs withdrawn due to declining market share or when the FDA raids a company and shuts down production due to regulatory non-compliance. Examples available.
  • Our legal system asks a lay jury to consider causality of a single drug in a single patient, with input from biomedical experts on both sides. That's the nature of an objective process.
  • I also have issues with the medical and healthcare product malpractice and liability. Show me your solutions to the "crisis" and I'll show you mine.
  • I also have issue with unethical behavior as well. Show me yours and I'll show you mine.
And politics has much to do with it, especially with regard to this current Presidential administration, to wit:
Thanks to a little-known piece of legislation, scientists at the EPA and other agencies find their work questioned not only by industry, but by their own government

Not exactly FDA, but easily generalizable.

Gene
IJ

Post by IJ »

Gene, it's as if you didn't read my post. There is not enough time to give all patients the lengthy discussion on risks and benefits that you desire for each of the many necessary steps we take every time we see someone who's actually sick (not a cold, etc). Someone with an uncomplicated case of back pain, urinary tract infection etc presents a great opportunity to catch up 4 minutes or so in a busy day with people waiting... and if I went into the detail you desire I'd be an hour behind instead. More important than the logistics misunderstanding here is that you feel that anyone who doesn't do exactly what you recommend DESERVES to get sued and is bad. Jesus H, Gene--what would you do for those docs in the USSR who had no resources for their patients? Would you sue them for every wound infection due to no AC, every hepatitis C from a shared needle, every bedsore because no nurse to turn the patient every 30 minutes? How would that help? You'd just kill a dying system...

Rich, my mention of excess wealth is just me trying to capture a concept you and Bill refer to. You guys say the poor pay no taxes, only the rich; so what I'm referring to is two levels of wealth, those that meet basic needs (just meeting them = those people who pay no taxes) and "excess" or extra wealth (these are the rich getting taxed on the excess. You don't want regressive taxes on cigarettes and gas to encourage responsible behavior and improve out health and energy pictures--and you don't want to hit the "rich" again... is it just a flat tax that's desired? (I wasn't advocating a government assessment of welath structure)

Bill, I'm glad they pulled their drug after the first IRREFUTABLE evidence of heart problems. THAT is not what we want; it is not sufficient. If a physician taking care of your loved ones omitted a strong concern over heart attacks that wasn't firmly established from discussions with you, and didn't factor it into their care, you'd be hella po'd. Right? Merck conspired to conceal these concerns from doctors and patients trying to make good decisions. I do not support the current tort system and i like Bush's progress with it as described in the link, but Merck knew what world they lived in and they made a bad call. They broke that rule about the front page of the WSJ and they paid the price.
--Ian
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Ian

Let's not forget that the F.D.A. approved Vioxx, Bextra, and other drugs that subsequently were pulled from the market.

We're focusing on Merck here because they got the bad hit. But the evidence now is out there that Celebrex, Bextra, and even ibuprofen and naproxen are associated with increased cardiac risks. And if you don't think the ambulance chasers are trolling for cases for those drugs, please come by Virginia and listen to the TV ads. The airways are full of such ads - especially during hours when most people are working.

No, I don't think it was a good thing that this drug contributed to morbidity and mortality while treating pain and inflammation. But I do not support the law suits. Way too much of the money goes towards people (the trial lawyers) who produce nothing. If people need compensation, binding arbitration by a panel of experts would be the only means I would support. Given the fact that it's impossible to discern who died of what cause, and what percent contribution these analgesics may or may not have had, it would make more sense to provide a pool of money. But it would get diluted pretty quickly.

Given the fact that two analgesics already are off the market, Celebrex briefly was taken off, and the makers of ibuprofen, naproxen, and perhaps even acetaminophen may be facing suits, it makes you wonder if maybe such money would be better spent researching for a better analgesic. Everyone who lives long enough will get to an age where pain relief on a regular basis is necessary. There will be risks, and a certain percentage of the population will lose on those risks.

As for the tax laws, well I'm all for a flatter, simpler tax code. I am against regressive taxes because they put too much burden on the poor who can least afford it, and I am against taxing the rich at higher rates just because you can (tyranny of the majority in action). My taxes are way too complicated, and too many people make a career out of perpetuating an overly complex tax code. Here's another sector of society where life can be made much simpler and smart people can go on to careers that need them.

Gene

In a sense, the Vioxx suit may have been the best thing that happened for tort reform, just as 9/11 put a reversal on gun control in this country. It's a kind of societal Newton's law in action. So long as you (and others) continue to act like there is no problem and rationalize the suits, the fodder is there for those you oppose to put an end to all such suits.

I could live with that. 8)

So...

Go ahead, make my day!

- Bill
Last edited by Bill Glasheen on Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gene DeMambro

Post by Gene DeMambro »

Ian, it's as if you didn't read my post. I do not ask for lenghty discussions on risks and benefits for each of the many necessary steps we take every time we see someone who's actually sick. I require patients be given information enough - no less - to make informed choices regarding THEIR health care decisions and treatments. And so does the courts. And so does modern society. And I bet so does your hospital. I know mine does. I can provide medical ethicists recommendations (see article from the Globe I linked), legal opinions and regulatory requirements to back me up.

I do not wish to mistakenly quote or infer an opinion that you may or may not have, Ian. But I get the feeling that you do not agree with informed consent, and you do not agree that physicians have a responsibility to tell patients of the benefits and risks of the treatment you recommend. I get the feeling that you think what the doctor says goes and patients are not part of the decision making at all. Again, I don't mean to infer the wrong conclusion, but I don't see it any other way.

We are not discussing the nationalist policies of 1930s Nazi Germany. And despite the attempts of some to term my home state the People's Republic of Massachusetts, we are not discussing health care in the USSR. So no, I will not be dragged into those non sequitors
Gene

Return to “Realist Training”