Must Read

This is Dave Young's Forum.
Can you really bridge the gap between reality and training? Between traditional karate and real world encounters? Absolutely, we will address in this forum why this transition is necessary and critical for survival, and provide suggestions on how to do this correctly. So come in and feel welcomed, but leave your egos at the door!
-Metablade-

Must Read

Post by -Metablade- »

http://www.pointlesswasteoftime.com/games/wowworld.html

Read this, and either rejoice or weep.

The other articles rule as well.
There's a bit of Metablade in all of us.
Valkenar

Post by Valkenar »

MUDs have been around even longer, and they're basically the same principle. The diference is that they're text-based and not graphical. But the actual gameplay is functionally the same.

When I was 13 I was trying to write one. What I really wanted to make was a graphical version of a mud (which is exactly what an MMORG is) but I didn't have the skills to handle the graphical side (still don't, really, that stuff is some serious territory these days). Even though I've mostly missed the boat now, I still have a desire to start up a game company and write the game that I've thought about on and off for the past 10 years.

This article points out exactly some of the aspirations I've had for it. The book Snow Crash details a world in which there's this sort of simulated environment.

One gap between reality and fiction that hasn't been bridged yet is the interface. A truly immersive experience requires better than a screen and keyboard, but some of the neccesary technologies required for a comprehensive VR interface are actually coming into existance now. Yay. I think once the interface is up to bar with the visual presentation, people may actually begin to take simulated environments as seriously as the author of that article suggests.
jkolb

Post by jkolb »

Looks like we have a similar story Justin. Wanna go into business together? ;)
Valkenar

Post by Valkenar »

jkolb wrote:Looks like we have a similar story Justin. Wanna go into business together? ;)
Yeah, actually. If you're serious we should talk. I have some other friends that have expressed varying levels of sincere interest recently, so there is a possibility of something happening in say 6-7 months.

Return to “Realist Training”