fix the product not the customer

This is Dave Young's Forum.
Can you really bridge the gap between reality and training? Between traditional karate and real world encounters? Absolutely, we will address in this forum why this transition is necessary and critical for survival, and provide suggestions on how to do this correctly. So come in and feel welcomed, but leave your egos at the door!
Bitter stew

fix the product not the customer

Post by Bitter stew »

Sensei Mattson, I'm surprised that your winter camp and kids tournaments have not been better received.

I sometimes become frustrated when customers do not support my business. I however do not take to writing criticism of them in my local paper.

Recently you have written some comments blaming cult leaders for your camps failure, and now your words are alienating some of your long time supporters.

Please do not take this a criticism of your efforts to bring something to the Uechi community...but consider your reaction to your recent disappointments...is this building what you want?

When a restaurant throws unsold product away it does not run an add calling its customers vegan cult wankers, it looks for away to entice people to visit.

Deriding people for not supporting your efforts will not build support. Possibly you could find more positive ways of promoting your activities.

Just a suggestion, don't shoot the messenger, some one had to tell you.
gmattson
Site Admin

You are correct "Guest"

Post by gmattson »

But I'm a "tell it like it is" kind of person, so I will probably continue "telling it like it is"!

I won't be running another WinterFest, but perhaps in the future someone else will try. I don't think my complaints will affect the outcome of those efforts.

By the way, my words express what many other senior teachers in Florida "believe".
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
Gene DeMambro

Post by Gene DeMambro »

IP address, anyone?

So, "Stew", how would you get folks to come to GEM's WinterFest and get the New England contingent to send their kids to the youth tournaments?

Gene
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

I honestly thought the same thing , I commented on the winterfest thread gently to this effect .

It is a difficult subject , and hard not to take personally .

But criticising folks for not coming or getting involved is very unlikely to make them get involved .

Building relationships takes time , and can be undone very quickly with a few misunderstood words.

we recently had a minor meltdown on the forums , that was in part because of friendly criticisim and the blame game .

I have yet to see any change on the kindler gentler forums , or many new posters .

being positive while difficult in the face of adversity , is the only real solution .

No one had any doubt how much work George has put over the years , and I dont think anyone can question his dedication .

And a few home truths are usefull now and then , but as the example with Raffi shows (another very dedicated pracitioner form all accounts) misunderstandings are dangerous .

Imagine if someone reading got upset didnt have the internal fortitude like Raffi to discuss it with George , do you think theyed help in any other events ?

I personally want to see things suceed , I dont want to outlay and plan well in advance to attend a camp to only have it fall apart .

I would of loved to partaken in a Uechi style adult tournament if it wwas feasable .

I think George does deserve more support , however the consumer is the meanest Judge , I dont think such home truths should be aired publicly , maybe in a members and organisers shake up .

As an outsider it just looks negative .

And I know Ive given my two cents when I should of remanined quiet again .... :cry:

oh well whats new :?
Gene DeMambro

Post by Gene DeMambro »

I understand what you wrote, Marcus. Loud and clear. But my orginal question to our "Guest" is still outstanding.

Gene

Return to “Realist Training”