Are you ready??????

This is Dave Young's Forum.
Can you really bridge the gap between reality and training? Between traditional karate and real world encounters? Absolutely, we will address in this forum why this transition is necessary and critical for survival, and provide suggestions on how to do this correctly. So come in and feel welcomed, but leave your egos at the door!
Mary S

Are you ready??????

Post by Mary S »

Are you ready??????

After watching CNN’s report on the expected hurricane situation for this year and after getting caught with my pants down during Hurricane Juan. I decided to start my emergency preparation this year (after talking about it for two years).

My friends think I’m crazy but I decided on Thursday to start my “hurricane preparedness” kit. I figured I might just have the last laugh. I went out and bought the following:

Canned stews, veggies, soups, spaghetti
Packaged dry soups
Tuna, salmon
Pastas in a bowl (just add hot water)
Rice
Power bars
Chocolate (GOTS TO HAVE THE CHOCOLATE!!!)
Bottled water
Manual can opener
Candles
Rechargeable batteries for my radio walkman
Safety Matches
Cooler
2 Freezer packs
Fondue pot with sterno packs (I don’t have a bbq and will have to cook indoors)

I already have:
A very good sleeping bag
Flashlight
A big bag of cat food for my cat
Spare kitty litter

Can you add to my list?
Do you have a list?
If you have a list do you have what’s on the list?
Are you ready??????

I attach the following listing from
http://www.e-survivalguide.com/emergenc ... oking.html

Emergency Food and Cooking

The following are things to consider when putting together your food supplies:

Avoid foods that will make you thirsty. Choose salt-free crackers, whole grain cereals, and canned foods with high liquid content.

Stock canned foods, dry mixes, and other staples that do not require refrigeration, cooking, water, or special preparation. You may already have many of these on hand. Note: Be sure to include a manual can opener. Include special dietary needs.

MANAGING FOOD SUPPLIES
Safety and Sanitation:

Do

Keep food in covered containers
Keep cooking and eating utensils clean
Keep garbage in closed containers and dispose outside, burying garbage if necessary
Keep your hands clean by washing them frequently with soap and water that has been boiled or disinfected
Use only pre-prepared canned baby formula for infants
Discard any food that has come into contact with contaminated floodwater
Discard any food that has been at room temperature for two hours or more. If the power is out for less than 2 hours, then the food in your refrigerator and freezer will be safe to consume.
While the power is out, keep the refrigerator and freezer doors closed as much as possible to keep food cold for longer.
If the power is out for longer than 2 hours, follow the guidelines below:
For the Freezer section: A freezer that is half full will hold food safely for up to 24 hours. A full freezer will hold food safely for 48 hours. Do not open the freezer door if you can avoid it.
For the Refrigerated section: Pack milk, other dairy products, meat, fish, eggs, gravy, and spoilable leftovers into a cooler surrounded by ice. Inexpensive Styrofoam coolers are fine for this purpose.
Use a digital quick-response thermometer to check the temperature of your food right before you cook or eat it. Throw away any food that has a temperature of more than 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
Discard any food that has an unusual odor, color, or texture

Don't

Eat foods from cans that are swollen, dented, or corroded, even though the product may look safe to eat
Eat any food that looks or smells abnormal, even if the can looks normal
Use powdered formulas with treated water
Let garbage accumulate inside, both for fire and sanitation reasons Note: Thawed food usually can be eaten if it is still "refrigerator cold." It can be re-frozen if it still contains ice crystals. To be safe, remember, "When in doubt, throw it out."

MANAGING WITHOUT POWER IF THE ELECTRICITY GOES OFF FIRST

Use perishable food and foods from the refrigerator. THEN, use the foods from the freezer. To minimize the number of times you open the freezer door, post a list of freezer contents on it. In a well-filled, well-insulated freezer, foods will usually still have ice crystals in their centers (meaning foods are safe to eat) for at least three days.

FINALLY, begin to use non-perishable foods and staples. Here are two options for keeping food safe if you are without power for a long period:

Look for alternate storage space for your perishable food. Use dry ice. Twenty-five pounds of dry ice will keep a 10-cubic-foot freezer below freezing for 3-4 days. Use care when handling dry ice, and wear dry, heavy gloves to avoid injury.

HOW TO COOK IF THE POWER GOES OUT:

Alternative cooking sources in times of emergency include candle warmers, chafing dishes, fondue pots, or a fireplace.
Charcoal grills and camp stoves are for outdoor use only.
Commercially canned food may be eaten out of the can without warming.
To heat food in a can: Remove the label Thoroughly wash and disinfect the can. (Use a diluted solution of one part bleach to ten parts water.) Open the can before heating.

SHELF-LIFE OF FOODS FOR STORAGE:

Here are some general guidelines for rotating common emergency foods.

Use within six months:
Powdered milk (boxed)
Dried fruit (in metal container)
Dry, crisp crackers (in metal container)
Potatoes

Use within one year:
Canned condensed meat and vegetable soups
Canned fruits, fruit juices and vegetables
Ready-to-eat cereals and uncooked instant cereals (in metal containers)
Peanut butter
Jelly
Hard candy and canned nuts
Vitamin C,

May be stored indefinitely (in proper containers and conditions):
Wheat
Vegetable oils
Dried corn
Baking powder
Soybeans
Instant coffee, tea and cocoa
Salt
Non-carbonated soft drinks
White rice
Bouillon products
Dry pasta
Powdered milk (in nitrogen-packed cans)
-Metablade-

Post by -Metablade- »

Mary S wrote:
....and after getting caught with my pants down during Hurricane Juan.

Meta: Look, we all have pet names for our lovers, but that was WAAAAAY too much info if you ask me.. :P
There's a bit of Metablade in all of us.
Mary S

Post by Mary S »

Righty - I'll ignore that.... :roll:

Oh ya, forgot I have a fully stocked first aid kit too.
Panther

Post by Panther »

Only things I would add are:

Generator with extra fuel to run the fridge and other essentials for a few days or weeks if needed. Just a little bit each day will keep the fridge cold inside.

Survival knife

Plenty of ammo... :wink:

If you don't have the use of the ammo, then maybe learning how to use a compound bow is in order. In the short term, you can defend your castle, in the long term you can harvest meat.
IJ

Post by IJ »

How the heck are you to bury your garbage outside if you're trapped somewhere by hurricane flooding, you ask? This is where my Ronco Emergency Post Katrina 2 Home Caisson comes into play:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caisson_(engineering)

My suggestion for disaster management is to move to Southern California. We have what the locals here call "hurricanes," but these consist of a light drizzle without wind. While hundreds of speeding hummers and lifted pickup trucks crash during each hurricane, officials recommend merely avoiding rush hour or traveling under 80 mph. Earthquakes are a constant threat, but San Diego is pretty safe until that fault that runs under downtown ruptures. It's been well behaved so far. My house has no earthquake insurance, and despite the price tag it was made by 10th graders in one afternoon and can be expected to collapse immediately. The anti crush feature that was installed since construction is the conversion of all beams to a cheetos like wood-puff by crops of termites working in shifts. We should be unharmed.
Last edited by IJ on Wed May 24, 2006 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--Ian
Panther

Post by Panther »

:rofl: :mrgreen:
Mary S

Post by Mary S »

Plenty of ammo...
I don't own a gun so I guess the ammo isn't going to be of much use....

I know how to use a compound bow but again, I don't own one.
In the short term, you can defend your castle, in the long term you can harvest meat.
Panther, that's where the cat comes into play! Sorry :D

I do, however, have a wonderful selection of knives. Could you recommend a survival knife?

Return to “Realist Training”