Boston Hi-Cap ordinance

This is Dave Young's Forum.
Can you really bridge the gap between reality and training? Between traditional karate and real world encounters? Absolutely, we will address in this forum why this transition is necessary and critical for survival, and provide suggestions on how to do this correctly. So come in and feel welcomed, but leave your egos at the door!
JOHN THURSTON

Interpretation

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

Hi:

I know this has been beaten to death, but the BPD went to some lengths to say that the Hi cap ban does not apply to Handguns.

I will refer to my "matrix sheet" to see how one transports a hi cap rifle through the City.

Generally they have to be on your person (handgun) or in a locked thrunk or locked case.

A soft case which is locked by the tiniest of locks complies with Mass. Law.

JT
"All Enlightenment Gratefully Accepted"
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Thanks JT for clarifying this. So in Boston one cannot own an AR-15 with mags over 10?

As to a pistol, it can be stored in the locked trunk of the car but unloaded with the magazine in a different locus than the trunk?
Van
Van Canna

Re: Interpretation

Post by Van Canna »

JOHN THURSTON wrote:Hi:

I know this has been beaten to death, but the BPD went to some lengths to say that the Hi cap ban does not apply to Handguns.

I will refer to my "matrix sheet" to see how one transports a hi cap rifle through the City.

Generally they have to be on your person (handgun) or in a locked thrunk or locked case.

A soft case which is locked by the tiniest of locks complies with Mass. Law.

JT
JT_

Did Boston PD explain why the ban does not apply to handguns?
Large capacity feeding devices designed for large capacity rifles and shotguns may be lawfully possessed by a holder of a Class A or B license to carry. Ch. 140, § 131(m). Large capacity feeding devices designed for handguns, rifles and shotguns may be possessed by holders of a Class A license to carry only. Ch. 140, § 131(a).
Is this applicable to the state and the city of Boston?

If I read this correctly, it sems that a class A license, such as the one I have, allows possession of hi cap magazines for rifles and shotguns, as well as handguns.

So I am not sure why "the BPD went to some lengths to say that the Hi cap ban does not apply to Handguns."

What 's your take on this?
Van
Panther

Post by Panther »

There is a serious problem in the PRoMA because each municipality/town has it's own licensing authority for firearms. Some are good, some are bad, but under MGL, that authority has discretion and can put restrictions on the licenses. From what I've been told, Boston PD have, at various times, had different restrictions, such as this mag ban. Also, BPD has maintained on numerous occasions that those restrictions apply to anyone coming into the city. I have never seen any such authority codified in MGL which gives Boston such power. Therefore, it comes down to the odds and whether you want to be present at a gun fight with a knife or not... Personal decisions that we must make individually.

One thing that is disappointing is the fact that we're stuck with yet ANOTHER
anti-gun AG (middlesex county DA... AGAIN) when we could have had Frisoli, who is pro-gun. grrrrrrr....
Van Canna

Here is the answer from GOAL

Post by Van Canna »

----- Original Message -----
To: "Van Canna" <vcanna@comcast.net>
Sent: Monday, November 13, 2006 3:18 PM
Subject: Re: Boston city ordinance

> There is an ordinance which was passed in 1989, for the city of Boston,
> banning so-called "assault weapons." However, it defines "assault weapons"
> as rifles and shotguns, not "firearms" or "handguns." Therefore, it is
> unclear whether any of the strictures regarding large capacity magazine
> devices apply to handguns. We can only tell you that to our knowledge, it