Men are advised not to approach lost children

This is Dave Young's Forum.
Can you really bridge the gap between reality and training? Between traditional karate and real world encounters? Absolutely, we will address in this forum why this transition is necessary and critical for survival, and provide suggestions on how to do this correctly. So come in and feel welcomed, but leave your egos at the door!
Akil Todd Harvey

Men are advised not to approach lost children

Post by Akil Todd Harvey »

A shout out to the moderator of this forum (Panther, You the man and I wish you the best) for letting the good word be sounded.....

Boy have we come a long way baby.....see what good has come out of the movement....

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news ... _page.html
"I think the police are too ready to suspect men," he said, citing a case where bricklayer Clive Peachey from Cornwall drove past a toddler on her own for fear of being accused of abduction. An inquest in March heard how she later fell into a duck pond and died.

"That little girl would be alive now but for society's attitude and the attitude of the police," said Mr Hughes, a retired headmaster who lives in Newport.

"That's why that bricklayer didn't stop. He could have picked her up and put her in his van to take her to the police station.

"But if he had been found with her in his van he would have been a suspected abductor.

"It's totally unjustified. There have been many instances where men have given their lives trying to rescue other people's children from the sea or a fire or other danger. They see a child in difficulty and perhaps they can't swim very well themselves, but they jump into the river and have a go."

And Maria Battle, deputy children's commissioner for Wales, said, "The pendulum has swung too far the other way. It's sad if you were to leave a child in distress and in danger because you were inhibited through accusations.
CANDANeh

Post by CANDANeh »

"That little girl would be alive now but for society's attitude and the attitude of the police," said Mr Hughes, a retired headmaster who lives in Newport.

"That's why that bricklayer didn't stop. He could have picked her up and put her in his van to take her to the police station.

"But if he had been found with her in his van he would have been a suspected abductor.
I think he could/would have done more if he were truely concerned...Ridiculous IMO.
Yes, could be awkward but a life was at risk and sadly lost. HE[b/]should face charges for negligent behaviour. I don`t "buy" his lame excuss, not under those circumstances.
Léo
Akil Todd Harvey

So, do you think men should be advised to NOT approach lost children?

There is a lot of hysteria, I can see where his hesitation came from, although i may not agree with his actions....

Judging other people's actions sure is easy....Understanding people's motivations seems oh so hard.....compassion for kids has been ingrained....compassion for men seems somewhat lacking.....

I heard a new one lately..."Too young for medicare and too old for women to care" I wonder if this applies here?
benzocaine

Post by benzocaine »

I'd like to think I'd at least go near the toddler and see if the parents were around. I always have my cell phone with me and would imediately call 911 as I stayed with the child, and prevented her from getting harmed. Having the operator on the line would pretty much prove I had no ill intentions.

It's really sad that there ARE sick Mother*@#$ers out there who would harm children. I wish the death peanalty on all child predators. If they needed someone to pull the switch or pull the trigger, I'm sure there are pleanty who would do it.
IJ

Post by IJ »

"Judging other people's actions sure is easy....Understanding people's motivations seems oh so hard.....compassion for kids has been ingrained....compassion for men seems somewhat lacking..... "

What's the fuss?

In the article, all we're told is that "men are being told" in the passive voice, to stay away from lost kids. The ONLY person who could be quoted as saying anything along those lines actually indicates that she PREFERS a woman go to the child. Not a single person on earth could be found that actually was willing to say they thought a kid would be safer wandering the earth than with a man. Actually, the article makes it very clear the suggestions apply to everyone. And the "risk" of appearing to be the abductor on taking the kid to the authorities?

What kind of abductor takes a kid to the authorities? And how many pedophiles really want a toddler? Most go for kids that are at least potty trained. They're not babyphiles.

All I see is a guy who didn't bother to help a child in need. We can't just say that his failure to act indicts society for its prejudice. That's total BS. The laziest, conclusion already drawn logic I've ever heard of. To answer my own question, the fuss should have been about ignoring a person in need. There is no evidence whatsoever presented that people would have done anything but celebrate a person who picked up a lost child and proceeded to the nearest phone to call for help. Puhlease.
--Ian
Akil Todd Harvey

Matriarchy Good, Patriarchy Bad

Long live the matriarchy and its supporters

I understand double standards against men can be hard to find problems with as we do with double standards against women.......That is just another of the many evidences that we live in a matriarchical society......
AAAhmed46

Post by AAAhmed46 »

Thats becasue dominant woman make more assertive babies and are demons in the sack.......
IJ

Post by IJ »

I hear your opinion, and your angst, ATH, but I couldn't spot your argument / reply. Always willing to engage and to support (relaxed, comfortable, nonagitated) equality with women, muslims, and just about anyone else I meet. When the substance merits...
--Ian
Tao_in_the_Mountians

Post by Tao_in_the_Mountians »

I don't see how any man can not come to the aid of a lost child. I don't think that any law enforcement group or any other agency should every imply that men shouldn't aid in any situation due to the thought of them being a suspect merely because they are a man.
I don't believe that there is any man that wouldn't came to the aid of a women being raped because he is afraid of being mistaken for the rapist.
Even a four year old child can communicate that someone was helping them and not abducting them.

Has there been many cases where someone has tried to aid a small child and was accused as a kidnapper? If so where they cleared after they was a proper investigation or did these people spend some time in the prison system?

Amos from Banff
Ryokan

Post by Ryokan »

If it worries you that much, stay there with the child and don't move. It's hard to accuse someone of abduction if they never take the kid anywhere.

If I found a lost child, I'd be reluctant to move very far from where I found them, much less put them in a car. Old conventional wisdom says to stay put. Usually I have a cell phone, but if I didn't, I'd flag someone down who did.

Oh yeah, and I'm a woman. . . I'm not paranoid about the situation you describe, just have some sense. Try it sometime. . .
Akil Todd Harvey

Ban on men sitting next to children

DUH! Every one of us here has studied martial arts cuz we want to help people (including and especially children).....

Guidelines are being produced (in a few select places that few of us actually live) that encourage folks how to handle finding a lost child.....Your input about what you would do is meaningful.......I agree that there are many ways to handle the situation that can both safely protect the child and the person who has found the child, but i dare to suggest as well that some are quick to ignore much of the hysteria (or they may be unaware of it if that is the environment that they grew up in or if they are supporters of the NEW hypervigilance) that surrounds the issue.

I am concerend about this issue because of the differential treatment that men are getting in regard to government produced brochures (they certainly dont exist everywhere, but it is indicative of a mindset about men that certain ideologies have seemed to promote).

Either way, I suggest folks also take a look at the following cuz it is along the same lines of concern (in this case it is not a lost child, but rather a child who has been placed in the 'care' of of an airline company).....

Please note the differential treatment that men recieve compared to women (that is why I dare to suggest that there be a withchunt against men).

Ban on men sitting next to children

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/print ... d=10357510
By Ainsley Thomson

Air New Zealand and Qantas have banned men from sitting next to unaccompanied children on flights, sparking accusations of discrimination.

The airlines have come under fire for the policy that critics say is political correctness gone mad after a man revealed he was ordered to change seats during a Qantas flight because he was sitting next to a young boy travelling alone.

Auckland man Mark Worsley says an air steward approached him after take-off on the Christchurch to Auckland flight and told him to change seats with a women sitting two rows in front. The steward said it was the airline's policy that only women were allowed to sit next to unaccompanied children.

"At the time I was so gobsmacked that I moved. I was so embarrassed and just stewed on it for the entire flight."

The 37-year-old shipping manager, who has 2-year-old twins, followed the incident up with the airline and was told Qantas wanted to err on the side of caution.

"I felt that it was totally discriminatory. Besides the point of what the hell was I going to do on a crowded flight."

The incident, which happened a year ago, irked Mr Worsley so much that he recently contacted National Party political correctness eradicator Wayne Mapp.

Dr Mapp told the Herald the airlines' policy was an example of political correctness that had got out of hand.

"I think this is a gross over-reaction by the airlines. What do they think men are going to do that women won't? It is the same as saying men shouldn't sit beside children on a bus."

A Qantas spokesman confirmed the Australian airline, which operates domestic flights in New Zealand, does not allow unaccompanied children to sit next to men. The spokesman said the airline believed it was what customers wanted.

Air New Zealand spokeswoman Rosie Paul said the airline had a similar policy to that of Qantas'.

"Airlines are temporary guardians of unaccompanied minors so we have preferred seating for them."

Ms Paul said Air New Zealand tried to seat children near a crew area so crew could keep an eye on them and, when possible, children were seated next to an empty seat.

"Sometimes this isn't possible, so the preference is to seat a female passenger next door to an unaccompanied minor."

When the Herald asked her if the airline considered male passengers to be dangerous to children, Ms Paul replied: "That's not what I said."

When it was put to her that that was the implication of the policy, she repeated: "No, that's not what I said."

Children's Commissioner Cindy Kiro said she commended the airlines for putting thought into the policy and for endeavouring to keep children safe.

Dr Kiro said she did not think it was intended to be a slur against men.

- Additional reporting: Kevin Taylor
Seek knowledge from cradle to grave
Akil Todd Harvey

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... /611290379
LINCOLN PARK -- A five-county police lookout for a would-be child abductor ended Tuesday morning with a nervous phone call and the realization the suspect was nothing more than a father waving to his own daughter.

In an incident police acknowledge stoked fears about pedophiles, the manhunt began when another 9-year-old at a playground at Lafayette Elementary School said a man motioned to her about 11:15 a.m. Monday, then fled in his vehicle as she ran to tell teachers.

Police said the man never noticed the other girl and her reaction, but realized the mix-up after watching reports about the incident on TV.

In reality, he was simply passing by, saw his child and stepped out of his pickup to motion hello.

"I think we are just in a society of fear right now. It's unfortunate, but I don't know if we want to be less cautious either," said Lincoln Park Lt. Ron Szalay.

Police issued a bulletin Monday to law enforcement agencies in Wayne, Macomb, Oakland, Washtenaw and Monroe counties.

They were looking for a man in his 40s, driving a blue pickup truck.

By 3 p.m., police received a report from Sterling Heights about a truck and driver that fit the description.

However, after getting a call from the school's principal, Szalay called off the search.

"We had a fair description and extra cars patrolling around the school (Tuesday morning) so we probably would have stopped him if he had come to drop off his kid," Szalay said.

Police aren't releasing the man's name, but Lafayette Elementary Principal Craig Stanczyk said he and his family are "great folks."

He was happy the man's wife called him Tuesday morning to clear up the misunderstanding.

"She said, 'My husband is very nervous,' " Stanczyk said.

"Nobody wants to be falsely accused."

But, Stanczyk said the girl who made the report did everything she was taught.

"It proves that we have a plan and it works," Stanczyk said.

"In this situation, it is better to be safe than sorry."
This seems a lot like the issue of men being told not to approach missing children (and will likely elicit similar repsonses).......Its just part of a bigger picture of how we view men (as dangerous first and as protectors, last if ever).........no crime has occurred and no one is even sure if a crime was intended, but who cares.....a man waved.....be afriad, be very afraid, be always afraid....and buy tide laundry detergent to make your clothes soft and clean......
Seek knowledge from cradle to grave
IJ

Post by IJ »

"The manhunt began when another 9-year-old at a playground at Lafayette Elementary School said a man motioned to her about 11:15 a.m. Monday, then fled in his vehicle as she ran to tell teachers."

So your advice would be, if a 9 year old reports this kind of behavior, assume the man was a protector first and a potential threat second? Are you serious? YOU wouldn't be worried about YOUR daughter if this happened to her? I'm not saying you would freak out, but you'd be concerned. So either your implication we should think of all men as protectors first--in this situation as well, presumably, altho information is scarce--is either nonsense, or you're not worried enough about your kids.

Note: nothing in your last post suggests anything about differential treatment of men.

Have you, by the way, ever noticed ANYTHING about the differential experiences or treatment of women? (etc).
--Ian
Panther

Post by Panther »

As I just wrote in the OTHER thread along these lines...

I do NOT appreciate having to rely on other admins to help me monitor this stuff.

The "debate" here is on par with two people on the opposite sides of the world arguing against each other while facing brick walls! Let it go.

Enough is enough.

Return to “Realist Training”