A quote and a thought to share with you....!

This is Dave Young's Forum.
Can you really bridge the gap between reality and training? Between traditional karate and real world encounters? Absolutely, we will address in this forum why this transition is necessary and critical for survival, and provide suggestions on how to do this correctly. So come in and feel welcomed, but leave your egos at the door!
Dave Young

A quote and a thought to share with you....!

Post by Dave Young »

“Civilized people cannot fathom, much less predict, the actions of evil people”

E. Evans, MGySgt., USMC (RET)

-------------------------------------------------------------As mentioned before by Roy, Van, George and a few others.....It is hard to develop plans of defense unless one knows about the dynamics of a fight and can evaluate it from both sides of the fence, in order to redefine a plan of attack.

I talked to a professional trainer during the shot show in Orlando this past weekend. And thought the conversation was worth mentioning.

The bottom line was he was providing a group of people with some ideas and tactics he teaches his people on how to defend again an attacker who is in a close quarter position, grabbing and punching the person they are attacking. I listened with great interest until he started mentioning how this has been successful in his classes almost each and every time. After he spoke I waited until others left and thanked him for the information, but asked him if he had ever used the tactics or techniques he was talking about in real life fight and he smiled and responded, no, but do not worry there is not a big difference.

I briefly added, hummm, not a big difference....I continued to say that if you buy something at a store for $19.99, and then see it at another store for $16.99, well that is not a big difference...but if you are telling others what to do in a real fight and that is will work for them, and you have never tired it or had been in a fight and used what you were talking about...well that is more than a big difference...it is a lie!...which could get people killed!...

I guess what is a not a big difference to one, could be life threatening for others....Just a thought!
Dave
Stay Safe, Stay Strong, STAY ALIVE!
Jake Steinmann

Post by Jake Steinmann »

Dave,

Did he mention (or did you ask?) if any of his students had used the tactic in a real altercation?
Dave Young

Jake......

Post by Dave Young »

Jake Steinmann wrote:Dave,

Did he mention (or did you ask?) if any of his students had used the tactic in a real altercation?
-------------------------------------------------------

Hi Jake,

Yes there were two students with them that he said he uses as instructors....who said no as well......

Thanks
Dave
Stay Safe, Stay Strong, STAY ALIVE!

Return to “Realist Training”