To protect and defend.....

This is Dave Young's Forum.
Can you really bridge the gap between reality and training? Between traditional karate and real world encounters? Absolutely, we will address in this forum why this transition is necessary and critical for survival, and provide suggestions on how to do this correctly. So come in and feel welcomed, but leave your egos at the door!
Rising Star

Post by Rising Star »

But whatever do you mean Gene?

Lets see where all of these fine upstanding 'citizens' end up and what career path they choose.

We already know what 61 of the released detainees have opted for.

Again, in case you missed it, I do truly wish the incumbent president the best but I am not expecting it. Tax cheats heading up the Treasury/ IRS, unabashed detractors of our military/intelligence gathering to head the CIA...... and it goes on and on.

Maybe it will work for our best but to suggest that I am talking nonsense? Please Gene, I know that you are smarter than that - put down the kool aid!

John
It's what we do!
Jason Rees
Site Admin

Post by Jason Rees »

Someone please tell me me how terrorists (not citizens of the US) are protected under the Constitution, or how it even applies to them?

Because if the Constitution applies to terrorists the same way it does citizens... What's taking so long to prosecute them as traitors, executing them, and getting on with life?
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

It doesn't protect them Jason. They were being held with an old obscure Presidential power which I believe was enacted by Lincoln.
I'm sure they are protected under some U.N. laws or War laws which we agree to, but I'm not certain of that.

I agree after 8 years shoot em or get rid of them.

But of course we are a nation under God and thou shalt not kill right?

F.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com
mikemurphy

Post by mikemurphy »

John,

Just lurking, but having a great laugh at this banter. However, I had to chirp in on a couple of things.

1) --quote--Again, in case you missed it, I do truly wish the incumbent president the best but I am not expecting it. Tax cheats heading up the Treasury/ IRS, unabashed detractors of our military/intelligence gathering to head the CIA...... and it goes on and on.--unquote--

I know how you love to bash the democrats, but before you hold your mighty republicans to such a high level, remember your flag bearer, Ronny Reagan had the most corrupt administration in history. 138 people either convicted or indicted, including James Watts (Sec. of Interior) and Casper Weinberger (Sec of Defense) if my memory serves me right. I'm too bored to go into Dubbya's admin. again.

Also, the 14th Amendment didn't protect the slaves before it was passed as they were not complete citizens up to that point, only 2/5 a person does not a citizen make!!

On to other things... I'm glad that we have such people out there who simply want to go out and shoot these people or put them in a plane that hits a flock of birds. If we are going to, as a country, stand high and mighty as the 'best country in the world', and one that everyone should look up to, and spread this wonderful democracy to the four corners of the planet (or in the case of Iraq, force it down it's throat), then shouldn't we at least act like it? If these "terrorists" are guility, then why haven't we tried them? If we aren't so sure, why not hand them over to the world court for trial? So, weren't not sure, so we'll hold them until whenever at an obsolete base that isn't even property of the United States and torture them (yeah, I believe torture is a matter of semantics....right).

We are human beings first and Americans second folks. How about it's time to start showing it? We have plenty of ways to defend ourselves before we start sinking down to the level of the terrorists, don't we? Aren't we the smartest nation on the planet too? Until you are ready to carving yourself to a person you are not quite sure is in involved in terrorism against the US (and I'm pretty sure most don't have the balls for that), then let's start thinking of other ways to make it work around the planet. Mmm?

And the President is a little more than a figure head that you say. The Queen of England or Emperor of Japan are figure heads. The president can push policy, is the head of his/her party, can negotiate treaties, is Commander in Chief of the military and (thanks to the War Powers Act) can involve our military in any affair he/she wishes for a limited time. He/she can even get around that by calling it a NATO or UN mission. Hardly a figure head.

Fred, just a case in point, nobody was "punished" after the Civil War. There was only one execution for war crimes (Henry Wertz of Andersonville fame) and the four accused in the Lincoln assassination. All other Confederate leaders were pardoned by Andrew Johnson after serving at the most 4 years (that includes Jefferson Davis who was never even charged with anything).

I, like you, wishes President Obama the best as everyone will benefit if he accomplishes some good, so let's be a little more hopeful here (Bill's going to hate that word).

mike
Rising Star

Post by Rising Star »

I figured that you had to be out there somewhere Mike! :D
It's what we do!
mikemurphy

Post by mikemurphy »

John,

You're going to have to cut me some slack on the spelling and misspelling of my post. I wrote that while at a very boring department meeting when no one was looking (not even me!).

mike
Rising Star

Post by Rising Star »

Ok, Spelling slack given but can you give me a source on your numbers. You seem to have overlooked the large variety of peccadillos and then some of the admiinistration of Herr Clinton.

John
It's what we do!
mikemurphy

Post by mikemurphy »

John,

I'm not sure of the source here as I just used the info I use in class when discussing the Reagan presidency. I'm pretty sure you can just google it and find the numbers; they're common knowledge. Anyway, it wasn't about rehashing the past administrations, is it? It was about knocking a guy's administration 2 weeks into it. Let him win or lose on his own merits and decisions, then we can knock him or praise him. Right?

mike
Rising Star

Post by Rising Star »

Thats what my intent was all along, I merely speculated on the act of freeing the terrorists and the implications thereof.

But all is going to be ok now based on his first televised interview as President. What network was that again? It eludes me.

8)

John
It's what we do!
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

Hi Mike I believe that was all in what I wrote.
14th Amendment to overturn Dred Scott.
Jefferson Davis and the rest not punished.
Even the Prison Warden, really was railroaded.
On another Obama thread I got a laugh out of someone comparing popular votes of the 1800's versus today. Of course take out the woman and black voters right? Those without land as well earlier on.

F.
www.hinghamkarate.com
Jason Rees
Site Admin

Post by Jason Rees »

Rising Star wrote: What network was that again? It eludes me.
I'm positive it was 'al-' something.
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

My favorite Obama bit so far. I'm so sick of them calling "snow days" over nothing.
We had barely over an inch the other day and they called school off.
They called it 6 inches though.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/ar ... Zf83AooMDw
www.hinghamkarate.com
Rising Star

Post by Rising Star »

I agree if you are in Chicago or New England, I never remember this plethora of snow days from my childhood, but in DC they dont have the equipment or material to deal with snow. My bro is in North Carolina and he tells me that if they get an inch it shuts everything down till it melts as they have no way to get it off of the streets.

John
It's what we do!
mikemurphy

Post by mikemurphy »

I like the snow day, especially when it's on a monday, tuesday, wednesday, thursday, or friday. I hate it when it's on the weekend; a simple waste of good snow if you ask me.

btw, on a serious note...one of the reasons why so many towns are calling the snow days is because of the safety issue for the students. with decreasing budgets and more kids becoming walkers instead of bus riders, or more kids driving to school (dangerous unto itself) combined with the top-notch job the dpws are doing cleaning up streets and sidewalks (wait, I have to stop laughing here)............................................................................................................ (ok, I'm back not) safety becomes a huge issue. Liability I'm sure as well, especially on their return home in the afternoon.

mike

Mike: I removed the lines... it extended the page waaaaay tooo much. GEM
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

I fondly remember walking home during the blizzard of 1978 Mike.
We were tougher then.
And maybe if these kids today had to buy their own cars like we did there might be more on the bus.

They say John this is a record winter but I think they use a different ruler than they did to measure it these days! LOL
www.hinghamkarate.com

Return to “Realist Training”