use of feet (kicks) in self defense

This is Dave Young's Forum.
Can you really bridge the gap between reality and training? Between traditional karate and real world encounters? Absolutely, we will address in this forum why this transition is necessary and critical for survival, and provide suggestions on how to do this correctly. So come in and feel welcomed, but leave your egos at the door!
mike arnost

Post by mike arnost »

You've probably covered this already, but what are the legal liabilites of using kicks in self defense? My understanding is that kicking someone with a "shod" foot is considered assault with a dangerous weapon and a felony. Is it better from a legal standpoint to only use hand techniques in self defense? How do the courts and the law view the use of kicks by someone with martial arts training in self defense?

------------------
JOHN THURSTON

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

My apologies again.

I have promised several times to research the "shod foot" issue, which is real in the Commonwealth.

I suppose the only advice I can give at the moment is to keep the level of escalation concomitant with the nature of the assualt.

IE: if the person attacks with his hands only, be a bit circumspect about replying with the feet/shod.

The burden on the attackee is ridiculous here, but I don't make the cases or laws, I just read them.

More later.

J.

------------------

Return to “Realist Training”