Aging Bodies !

This is Dave Young's Forum.
Can you really bridge the gap between reality and training? Between traditional karate and real world encounters? Absolutely, we will address in this forum why this transition is necessary and critical for survival, and provide suggestions on how to do this correctly. So come in and feel welcomed, but leave your egos at the door!
GSantaniello

Aging Bodies !

Post by GSantaniello »

As many become older who are fortunate enough not to have developed physical problems, their are a percentage of us that are dealing with issues that make it most difficult to continue our practice as often and/or as intensely as we have for many years.

With various back problems, arthritic conditions and knee problems, along with other painful conditions, many can no longer use powerfully thrusting motions with tourque and compression without doing more harm than good.

Jujitsu type trainning involving throws and falls are no longer "Healthy" for the body even with good matting beneath us.
For one may not walk for days after a session of matt work.

High kicks with spins and jumps and roundhouse kicks to the head are no longer an option. As some stylist incorperate into their systems. Other styles require such movements.

Being younger has it's advantages and one should get some cross trainning in while able to learn how to hit the mat, thrust with maximum power, and other aspects of training that may no longer be possible in later years.

Many drop out completely after years, do to some developed physical conditions. Other must re-adjust their training along the way.

One thing i have found in Uechiryu is that one can adjust along the way and hopefully continue along the path of study without needing to completely sacrifice a lifetime of practice.

Respectfully,

------------------

Gary S.
candan

Aging Bodies !

Post by candan »

Seen an old M.A.S.H. rerun last night where a soldier who was an upcoming concert pionist lost his hand in battle forever destroying his dreams. However, with help (from the shows writters Image ) he realized his art was an internal aspect. Losing a "tool" to express his art did not destroy his what he knew, most others with the healthy bodies are unable to create what is in his mind and heart. He decided to pursue teaching and composing..etc... Fluffy feel good stuff but it conveys a message to punder for the days my body gives me warning of things to come.
raulf7

Aging Bodies !

Post by raulf7 »

Aging does have its effect. I have been training for 27 years now, consistantly. I seem to have been blessed healthwise or maybe its because I have kept my body in good shape I am now fitter, more supple and stronger than I have ever been.

I did have one problem though about 15 years ago and strained my back due to over enthusiasm working with weights.

The only major health problem I have had is being an asthmatic. But with todays medication and lots of aerobic exercise its really not a problem.

From my studies of many sports I have found the getting and maintaining endurance and strength can be had even into a very old age.

To bare this out have a look on the web for tri-athletes who are over age 50, its very inspiring.

Return to “Realist Training”